Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeff Oslick

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Oslick
How many hours do you fly per year?

How many hours do you fly (typically) per year?

I've seen this question on other sites, but since we have the ability to poll, I thought it would be fun to see this for the PoA group.

Jeff

Last edited:
I think it'll be around 50. I would like it to be more, but I'm being restrained in my flying (and therefore spending) until my wife's job situation is settled.

I can't see myself going over 100/year anytime soon, just because I can pretty much fly only on the weekends.

I was aiming at 10 hours a month. Last year, I think I was about 7 hours a month. This year, I think I have 5 total so I have to really get on the ball here.

Just under 250 for the trailing 12 months. As a matter of fact, my insurer believes 150 to 250 it the best range. My life folks gave best rate in that range. Don't think my aviation insurer made that differentiation.

Lot's of long cross country flights in the A-36TN. Great flight to day from Dallas to Portage, WI where I'm seeing family a little later tonight. Smooth above 6,000 and almost no wind conditions. Trued out about 180 at 11 mpg.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

It's the long legged family car. 200 in the Seneca; about 50/year teaching.

Re: How many hours do you fly per year?

I think the 50-150 will be the winner. It would have been interesting to further split that category into 50-75, 76-110, 111-150. I think in that case 50-75 would win IF people didn't inflate their figures, due to wishful thinking as much as anything else. I mean, if you're a weekend flier and you try to go out for 1.5 every week, and have only a 25 percent cancellation rate (weather, mechanical, other obligations), you're under 60 hours per year.

Ken Ibold said:
I think the 50-150 will be the winner. It would have been interesting to further split that category into 50-75, 76-110, 111-150. I think in that case 50-75 would win IF people didn't inflate their figures, due to wishful thinking as much as anything else. I mean, if you're a weekend flier and you try to go out for 1.5 every week, and have only a 25 percent cancellation rate (weather, mechanical, other obligations), you're under 60 hours per year.

I was thinking the same thing. I would certainly be in the 50-75 category. 50 for sure, with high hopes 70 or so.

I have been flying about 200 to 230 per year. One peak year was close to 600 and a number were in the 300-400 range.

John J

Well, the numbers are still rolling in, but I'm surprised there aren't more on the low end. I know it has only been in the last 3 years that I've been able to afford even 50 hrs/yr, and I had a few ~25 hr years while in grad school. In the low-hour years, I flew with instructors often to try to stay sharp, and didn't fly in marginal weather.

It probably is a reflection of those who frequent this board, or at least in the board's "newness", that the average seems significantly higher than what I thought for the pilot population as a whole.

Jeff

I have put 100 hours in so far this year. but that might be because I bought and dont rent anymore..

Michael said:
I have put 100 hours in so far this year. but that might be because I bought and dont rent anymore..

100 hours since 1/1/2005? That's a bunch of flying for a non-professional!!

Chip

In the years I've flown over 200, it's actually started to get boring too often to be a lot of fun. So I let the hours stay under 200 and as long as I'm calling the shots, it ain't boring.

After all, it is best to be out there in The Wild Blue for the noblest reason of all:
Because it is cool.

gibbons said:
100 hours since 1/1/2005? That's a bunch of flying for a non-professional!!

Chip

Wow, you know your right....Im on pace for 400 this year :) I think there has only been 1 weekend I havnt gone somewhere yet :) Still planning on tomorrows trip...maybe san diego..maybe Big Bear...still up in the air.

Michael

I fly about three times per month, and each flight is at least two hours. Then, I do the occasional long X-C. For example, last summer I went to Vermont twice which put five hours each on the books. In September I put 25 hours on the books during one weekend.

In the past year? Last year I flew a bit over 700 hours...

Most pilots who don't fly for a living that I know fly 25 to 75 hours a year...

Last year I flew 623 hours. Most of that was comprised of Learjet 24,35 and 45 time. I was too busy to do any real flying with props. I think the most I flew was when I was full time instructing. Back then it was around 1000 hrs per year.

Brent

I have been averaging a little over 150 for the past several years and hit 180+ last year. The ability to take long trips can pile on these kind of hours pretty easliy. Alternatively the kind of flying I do in the taildragger doesn't amount to more than 25-40 hrs per year.

Since I got my Mooney (renting before) my time has jumped big time. Will easily exceed 150 in the first year of ownership.

Ken Ibold said:

It would also be interesting to break it down to the type of flying done in those hours. Training, cross-country, just boring holes, etc.
Under 60 hours per year would not be bad if it was not wasted boring holes in the sky.
Don

Don Jones said:
It would also be interesting to break it down to the type of flying done in those hours. Training, cross-country, just boring holes, etc.
Under 60 hours per year would not be bad if it was not wasted boring holes in the sky.
Don

Wasted????:eek:

I had 149 hours accumulated over 7 years when I bought the Lance.
Then it was:
2002: 307 - I lived in Miami and my future wife in Atlanta - flew every weekend
2003: 219 - Down 3 months for engine overhaul, annual, and paint
2004: 202 - Down 2 months for annual, exhaust system, and engine mount
2005: 50 - Adopted a son! :) It may be a light year

None ........ until I get an irregular heart beat sorted out. I'm putting the downtime to good use however and taking N/A related classes on line. When I really need a fix I will grab an instructor and get air time. Otherwise, I'm considering logging my webboard time!!!!!!!!!!

The real bummer is that I was on the verge of joining a club when I was diagnosed.

My minimum target would be 50. Below that I would get concerned about my profeciency and safety.

Back