How many hours of pleasure flying do you do per month?

How many hours of pleasure flying do you do per month?

• less than 5 hrs

• between 5 - 10 hrs

• between 10 - 15 hrs

• between 15 - 20 hrs

• more than 20 hours

Results are only viewable after voting.

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
do not count dual given for CFIs, or folks who fly for living. this poll is only for pleasure flying as PIC that u do per month on an average.

Go

I’ll tell you how much I would fly per month if airplanes were free and their engines ran on dreams... I’m betting most people who fly often get around 60 hours per year, and the rest get less than 50 per year.

I'm on track for 250-300 hours of flying this year. Almost will double my total time. I love plane ownership :)

Fly for 2.5 hours the first day you own an airplane and you’re “on track” to fly over 900 hours a year. Until the next day when you don’t fly 2.5 hours every day. ;) I do want to see you reach that 300 hours/year goal, though!

Continually thwarted by weather or aircraft mx issues, working to correct the latter.

Edit: and the former

Fly for 2.5 hours the first day you own an airplane and you’re “on track” to fly over 900 hours a year. Until the next day when you don’t fly 2.5 hours every day. ;) I do want to see you reach that 300 hours/year goal, though!
Well I've had it for 2 months and I've flown 35 hours which equates to 210 hours per year. This summer however I'm going to get my instrument and be moving so that should up the pace a bit.

Roughly 100-120 hours a year as of now. Don’t fly as much in the summer though.

We do basically no pleasure flying. A couple of vacation trips a year, that's about it.

Once we get the hangar and Cub at our house, hope to increase that significantly.

Since I got back into flying in 2011 after a 23 year hiatus, I’ve averaged about 11 hours per month. Last year wasn’t a good year because my plane was out of service for a significant portion of time due to a number of maintanence issues. If that year is discounted, then I’m averaging 138 hours per year from 2012 to 2016. I’m hoping this year will be similar.

I use SafeLog, and it’s easy to have it generate graphs like the one below showing my flying time.

First official lesson was in 1978 at 12 years old. Just a few flights per year until ‘86, then college distracted me, then the push to finish in ‘88 and ‘89. Long hiatus between then and 2011 with just a few flights with my dad sprinkled in there.

Every single flight was a pleasure flight. No one pays me to fly...

e8311a69ab1480b48b27211b51dbdc01.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the nice weather months, 5-10
Winter 0-3

ALL of our flying is for pleasure. Even the one where we lost an engine and landed on a highway. About 120 hrs per year.

Excluding flight instruction, not a whole lot. Working what is the equivalent of at least two full time jobs doesn’t leave a lot of time to play. But sometimes I’ll stop working on planes early enough on the weekends to get a few hours of recreational flying in. It’s getting better now that we’re on daylight saving time.

I enjoy instructing but it is still work and you’re flying on someone else’s schedule and doing what they want. The most fun flying is the stuff I do on my own.

All in all, I probably fly 8-10 hours a month for fun.

Around 5 hours or so on a good month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

These past few months have been a lot slower due to the crummy weather we’ve had.

Excluding flight instruction, not a whole lot. Working what is the equivalent of at least two full time jobs doesn’t leave a lot of time to play. But sometimes I’ll stop working on planes early enough on the weekends to get a few hours of recreational flying in. It’s getting better now that we’re on daylight saving time.

I enjoy instructing but it is still work and you’re flying on someone else’s schedule and doing what they want. The most fun flying is the stuff I do on my own.

All in all, I probably fly 8-10 hours a month for fun.

I’ve always wondered about that with CFI’s. My dad was my CFI, and, although he flew a lot, most of his hours were instructing. Not a lot of flying for himself. The instructor I worked with to get back into flying who did my tailwheel endorsement, IFR, and commercial, has on the order of 22,000 hours. The vast majority of those hours are from instructing. I have no idea when he last flew by himself for pleasure or to travel somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I get older I'm getting more selective. Bouncing off the headliner in turb, or 35kt gusts across the runway just aren't fun anymore. I try to get in an hour or two a week, but this winter the airplane sat for 3 weeks in the hangar. Gusting 30 out here now...can't wait for real spring.

I fly ~90 hrs/year, a mix of personal travel and Angel Flight missions.

I'm hoping to buy a plane, preferably with a partner or two. Potentially buying the next house before selling this one may put that off until next year; our present plan for putting the current house on the market. Getting the incremental cost down should bring my hours up a little bit.

Well I've had it for 2 months and I've flown 35 hours which equates to 210 hours per year. This summer however I'm going to get my instrument and be moving so that should up the pace a bit.

You’re lagging... better get that thing airborne! :) I hope you get the IR and fly the paint off that thing!!!

I got 149 hours last year, all pleasure flying. I'm a bit behind the pace so far this year, but a trip to Alaska and some other airplane camping trips this summer get me back on track. If I don't fly at least 10 hours a month it becomes harder to justify owning a plane.

One of my goals for this year is to double my flying time. I don't know if I can find 10 hours a month of decent weather when I'm not working, but I'm going to try. I'm also learning to fly from the right seat so I can get my Sport Pilot CFI ticket, for absolutely no good reason other then "I wanna". And yeah, ownership ROCKS.

About 200 hours a year. Pretty evenly distributed for me since I'm in a pleasant climate the vast majority of the time.

I flew 7 hours in March which is the most I've done in a single month in a few years. I hope to keep it up but it can be difficult.

As I get older I'm getting more selective. Bouncing off the headliner in turb, or 35kt gusts across the runway just aren't fun anymore. I try to get in an hour or two a week, but this winter the airplane sat for 3 weeks in the hangar. Gusting 30 out here now...can't wait for real spring.
Yeah this winter has been really bad in the mid-Atlantic.

:rolleyes:
I obviously need to choose my words more wisely around this bunch.
In your case using any wisdom at all in choosing your words would be an improvement.

Just started back flying last year after an 11 year layoff. Just joined a flying club in March and now going to try and fly about 10 hours a month which I've never come close to other than when training for my PP or IFR. Joined on 3/16/18 and flew 5.5 for the rest of March, two weeks. So it looks like I should make my goal of about 10 hours a month. Already had to cancel a flight this month on the 2nd though due to unforeseen circumstances.

As I get older I'm getting more selective. Bouncing off the headliner in turb,

Well to be fair, that's pretty easy to do in a Comanche. You need Bonanza or Aztec headroom, then you'll be alright :D TC

Back