How many electric motors can an airframe have under MOSAIC?

NorthEast Ohio

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NorthEast Ohio
  • Northern Californian company Aska showed this prototype of a flying car during Monterey Car Week that it hopes to produce within two to three years.
  • The Aska A5 flying vehicle can take off both vertically and horizontally, an improvement on the "flying car" idea.
  • The plan is to use these planes as rentals or taxis, priced at around $800,000, and 100 prospective buyers have already placed reservations
IMG_1219.jpeg
Source: Aska Resurrects the Promise of a Flying Car

Under the MOSAIC proposal, an aircraft can have multiple engines if it uses a "simplified control system" and if the loss of power does not result in a loss of directional control. Multicopters get mentioned specifically in the discussion.

But nowhere in the MOSAIC proposal is any method for a sport pilot to get multi engine class privileges - at least not as far as I can find.

Under the MOSAIC proposal, an aircraft can have multiple engines if it uses a "simplified control system" and if the loss of power does not result in a loss of directional control. Multicopters get mentioned specifically in the discussion.

But nowhere in the MOSAIC proposal is any method for a sport pilot to get multi engine class privileges - at least not as far as I can find.
What point is a multi rating is the control system is simplified? Learning the special prayer to say if something goes wrong?

I’m curious if something with inline thrust will require a multi license. I know now that that Cessna airplane does require but maybe things will change in that regard.

I assume like a helicopter..no multi endorsement, but must admit it was nice when they gave us a second engine and an apu…

Rotorcraft Helicopter…is the only rating also Instrument Helicopter is defined

For helicopter you can legally fly a multi-engine turbine up to and including a Sikorsky s76 as a 40 hr private pilot with no additional ratings or endorsements. Getting insurance on the other hand…..

I’m curious if something with inline thrust will require a multi license. I know now that that Cessna airplane does require but maybe things will change in that regard.

I suspect that inline-thrust twins require training in how to determine which engine to feather.

Back