how many airports...

flyingcheesehead said:
Nothing in 61.51 about having to own the plane or fly from your home drome to be able to log it. :p

Yeah! My thought exactly. Heck, if I wanted to get real picky, I could say it doesn't count unless it's your own airplane! In which case my previous total wouldn't change.

Judy

judypilot said:
Yeah! My thought exactly. Heck, if I wanted to get real picky, I could say it doesn't count unless it's your own airplane! In which case my previous total wouldn't change.

Judy

Well all my states were in my own plane! :) I've landed in Hawaii, of course I wasn't PIC, nor was I even in the cockpit, perhaps I can count that landing from Seat 26B ?

Using commercial means to get there is cheating. Would I have "completed" the Boston Marathon if I ran the first .1 miles, rode a bike the next 26 miles, and then ran the last .1 miles? I don't think so.

N2212R said:
Well all my states were in my own plane! :) I've landed in Hawaii, of course I wasn't PIC, nor was I even in the cockpit, perhaps I can count that landing from Seat 26B ?

Using commercial means to get there is cheating. Would I have "completed" the Boston Marathon if I ran the first .1 miles, rode a bike the next 26 miles, and then ran the last .1 miles? I don't think so.

I wouldn't count the landing at SAN where I was in seat 11C, but I will count all the airports I landed at between SEE and GJT in the rented 150!

Fun question. I was kind of surprised that I've been to as many as I have. 101.5 hrs, 22 airports, only 5 states. Gotta go out and bag more!!!!

NC=1
MD=1
CT=1
NJ=4
PA=15

N2212R said:

Ed, I have to respectfully disagree. Your analogy is flawed. A better one would be "would I have 'completed' the Boston Marathon if I flew to Boston commercially instead of running all the way from Chicago?", and the answer is clearly "yes".

Besides, since it's already established that you can change your home airport, I can always say that my "home" airfield is whichever one is renting me a plane at the time. That way they would all count! :goofy:

About 170-180 landings at airports and landing sites and water sites in various states accross the USA, Hawahii, Alaska and British Columbia. The really difficult ones often just to "bag" them & film them. I write the names and a note and years landed of them on a prop that I made & hang on the wall.

Last edited:
N2212R said:

Well NO, but... In my book you can log the airport if you've flown in the patern and landed. The rest is all the same anyways. :)

Oh, I log it in the logbook, but dont count it as "going" there as any sort of achievement.

AirBaker said:
Well NO, but... In my book you can log the airport if you've flown in the patern and landed. The rest is all the same anyways. :)

I agree, and think it's best to have multiple classifications like X-country hours & mileage, # of Landings, etc.

One might want to land a GA plane at a great airstrip at the foot of the Rockies but not want to fly across the Great Plains in a GA plane just to get there to do it!

Last count, 837 airports in 49 states, 62 in Canada, 7 in central america, 23 in south america, 2 in the bahamas, 3 in the virgin islands, 1 in Jaimaca, 1 in Iceland, 1 In greenland 1 in Ireland, 2 in England, 1 in france, 2 in portugal, 4 in africa plus a few non airports, all civilian, in fact airlline pilots usuallly end up with not that many differant airports visited,

76 Airports in 13 States. In some cases they were local rentals when I was traveling.

AZ 6
CT 1
DE 3
IN 1
MA 2
MD 7
NJ 16
NY 4
OH 6
PA 27
TX 1
WA 1
WV 1

35 in 4 states.

WA - 24
OR - 3
WY - 1
HI - 7

All fun. Looking for more.

thats the great thing about this board, mike. such varied and wide ranging experience

Steve said:
a guy in our glider club has a Bird Dog, immaculately restored, practically museum quality. He very occasionally bails the club out and tows with it. Ive been pulled behind it once and it puts the Super Cub to shame. Pulling a 2 seat glider in the middle of the summer at over 800 FPM! Watching him takeoff is quite a sight, what appears to be a 45 degree angle departure!

How about 320 landings on 3 "fields" but at more than 300 geographic locations between Norfolk, VA and eastward to San Diego, CA?

C68 (USS Nimitz)
C64 (USS Constellation)
C61 (USS Ranger)

Illinois:
10C, 3Ck, KDPA, KJOT, KBMI, KRFD, KPIA, KMLI, KDKB, C81, KCMI, KTIP, KDEC, KCGX, 3K6, KIGQ, 0C0

Missouri:
KMKC and KCGI

Indiana:
KVPZ, KSMD, KHFY, 05C

Wisconsin
KMSN, KJVL, C59, KLNR, KDLL, KEFT, KPDC, KOSH, KUES

Iowa:
KCWI

Florida:
KSRQ, KPBI, KLNA, KCGC, KLAL, 48X, KAPF, X01

Mississippi:
KVKS

Georgia:
KABY

California:
KMYF

England:
EGUL

Totals:
45 airports, 9 states, 2 countries

Better than I first thought

Last edited:
Wow!!! I feel like a newbie compared to some of you folks. Well, I don't know how many total, mostly because I am too darn lazy to look for my logbook and count, but I have been to all but one of the towered airports in CA. San Jose is the only one left.

Unless I count wrong, at least 132.

ISZ, HAO, LUK, MGY, CMH, LEX, I67, AID, HTS, I68, I69, LOU, OSU, I73, RID, AOH, HKF, OKV, PKB, BAK, FFT, FDY, MFD, UMP, TDZ, GEZ, MRB, HUF, BEH, MWO, OKV, MIE, BIV, OFP, BKL, ZZV, ORF, DAY, CPK, ILN (Approachs not to landing), TRI, HEF, LIT, SSF, CLL, CRP, HYI, JCT, SGR, SJT, ACT, BMQ, ERV, PWA, T82, DWH, BAZ, RKP, TPL, 2R8 (now RAS), GKY, FWS, SHV, GVT, SAT, AUS, RVS, PEZ, T89, HKS, AVL, CLT, TCL, VCT, T92, ICT, E38, FST, MFE, TUL, TYS, HVC, ADS, FYV, TYR, T69, OZA, GPM, T27, OLV, JQF, BCB, CRW, ROW, INW, VGT, E80, ARR, DMN, TRM, LRU, NEW, HOU, JRB, MQY, MEI, RDU, MSL, GLS, FMN, IDA, AEG, MDW, SGF, GTU, SAF, MQI, FFA, JBR, RBD, LNC, CLH, SDL, BPK, HND, FME, FDK, LBX, LFT, DAL, LZZ, POU, and a number of others.

I'm going to order a US map to put on the wall to pin to death as I fly more.

JRitt said:

I finally did that, and it's really neat.

Judy

JRitt said:

I've done that with the www.frappr.com map. I've been putting up pictures of each place as well. I have 'borrowed' a few from airliners though.

tonycondon said:
heck ed, you could probably get the tank system from a cherokee 6 or seneca in those wings, thatd give you 100 gallons in the wings. Then take backseats out and replace w/a 70 gallon drum or so. Right front seat gets ditched for a 20 gallon drum, and you're good to go!

Best way to do ferry tanks in small planes is to pull out all the seats and build a plywood box to house bladders, you then manifold the output and vent lines. Vent gets done thru a fitting in the storm window and the feed manifold is near the pilots hand. If hose clamps are used, double clamps then at least three wraps of duct tape after leak check. This helps keep the expendable weight near the CG so you don't get much shift, and the shift is controlled by the pilot through the manifold. You tie it into the aircraft fuel system downstream of the main valve pre gascolator. Treat them as completely seperate systems, when using one, the valves for the other should be off. Usually I manage the fuel to keep an aft most CG. Drums are a bad thing. Because the venting systems for this deals is always a bit hoakey, they do have occasion to ice up. With a drum you may have a full tank of unusable fuel till you open the emergency vent valve at the manifold. Then you bring the thing in, break off the ice and restore airflow. With bladders, they collapse and give you warning that they aren't venting by the way they look rather than the engine choking to death. Sometimes a drum will give you a 'donk' to warn you, but not always and you don't always hear it.

Now I have a question for the ARL people, Physically and technically (let's NOT concern ourselves with leagally...yet) Can I take a Yaesu or Kenwood portable ham rig like I see some guys have in their cars, 'bout the size of a car stereo, and use that in lieu of an aviation HF set? Those puppies are seriously expensive. Usually for ferry gigs I'd rent one, but down here, you need one really. Most commercial ops in over 2/3rds of the country are required them for a reason, there is no VHF (or Radar or...) coverage. I'm wondering if I can come up with a cheaper solution for the comms ability in non commercial ops where I'm not required, but would still like to have.

Henning said:
Now I have a question for the ARL people, Physically and technically (let's NOT concern ourselves with leagally...yet) Can I take a Yaesu or Kenwood portable ham rig like I see some guys have in their cars, 'bout the size of a car stereo, and use that in lieu of an aviation HF set? Those puppies are seriously expensive. Usually for ferry gigs I'd rent one, but down here, you need one really. Most commercial ops in over 2/3rds of the country are required them for a reason, there is no VHF (or Radar or...) coverage. I'm wondering if I can come up with a cheaper solution for the comms ability in non commercial ops where I'm not required, but would still like to have.

Technically it is possible. Most of the HF Ham radios can already or are easily modified to transmt on the air HF frequencies.

Legally is a whole other issue. For the US, ham rigs do not require type acceptance as long as they are only capable of transmitting on the ham bands. If you try to use them in another service you may have to 'legally' have type acceptence from the FCC to use them. Getting that approval by a private citizen for a single radio is not something that would be cost effective.

smigaldi said:
Technically it is possible. Most of the HF Ham radios can already or are easily modified to transmt on the air HF frequencies.

Legally is a whole other issue. For the US, ham rigs do not require type acceptance as long as they are only capable of transmitting on the ham bands. If you try to use them in another service you may have to 'legally' have type acceptence from the FCC to use them. Getting that approval by a private citizen for a single radio is not something that would be cost effective.

Roger, understand legal, that's why I was asking technical. Thanks, so that's what I figured. The thing is, 99% of the time it won't be used on air HF, it's that dang emergency crap that makes it so handy. It's either that or an Irridium handheld. You can get the hardware for about the same price as a small ham rig. Downside is $1.50 minute and 2400(if you're lucky personal experience with those and the Inmarsat mini M is between 2 and 200 baud) upside is, it does do data and works from pole to pole unlike Inmarsat and others that work 70 N to 70 S.

Henning,
I've got a Yaesu FT-757GX HF rig. Pop it open, flip a switch and presto... TX everywhere. I think they're going for ~$300 on eBay right now.

AirBaker said:
Henning,
I've got a Yaesu FT-757GX HF rig. Pop it open, flip a switch and presto... TX everywhere. I think they're going for ~$300 on eBay right now.

Cool, that's pretty much what I figured since most ham rigs do the same thing on Marine SSB channels.

judypilot said:
I don't have the stats in front of me (I'm on the road), but I recently counted and I'm up to something like 250 landing places. I say "landing places" instead of airports because I've landed off-airport a lot of places in Alaska. I also have 35 states. One of these days, I'll have to go to the other 15 just to say I've landed in all 50. Fortunately, I already have the ones that are usually tough--Alaska and Hawaii. I also have 3, soon to be 4, other countries.

But I've been flying for 16 years and nearly 1600 hours. :) What my post shows is that persistence pays off! For a long time I had only 10 or so!

Judy

Like Judy I have a lot of landings at places you couldn't call airports, just landing spots. I have made two trips to Ark. and two trips to IL. with a stop off in Gastons. I have over 2000 hours in my log book and I don't really know how many airports. I think I counted 65 different ones in Oregon alone a number of years ago. I guess that would be a good winter project. Judy I hope you get a landing at S49 sometime, my home field.

Re: The ConUS Challenge

I'm about 100 behind you, Mike. I'd have more if I counted the airports I took off from (Mary landed at quite a few of those). :)

Mike Schneider said:
With the "ConUS Challenge" going on, I thought this would be a good time to revive this thread. I'm up to 274 airports. It looks like Judy Parrish has ~250, PA24 has 217, Barb has 322, Eric Jensen has 205, and wesleyj has 837 (who did I miss with over 200?). I'm sure many of you have added airports since your last post. And to those who haven't posted, let us hear from you. -- Mike

I came up with a rough total of 122 : Iw. 3, IL. 3, WI. 1, Mo. 2, Wy. 4, ND. 1, Mt. 1, Ak. 8, Wa. 9, Nv. 3, Ut. 1, Id. 30, Ok. 2, Ks. 2, Co. 2, Ca. 2, Or. 67, British Columbia 4.

Re: The ConUS Challenge

Mike Schneider said:
With the "ConUS Challenge" going on, I thought this would be a good time to revive this thread. I'm up to 274 airports. It looks like Judy Parrish has ~250, PA24 has 217, Barb has 322, Eric Jensen has 205, and wesleyj has 837 (who did I miss with over 200?). I'm sure many of you have added airports since your last post. And to those who haven't posted, let us hear from you. -- Mike
Had to go through a couple of log books at the hangar, but just skimming here is what I've got so far, which includes private airports/strips:

AL-9, AR-8, AZ-5, CA-14. CO-4, CT-1, FL-22, GA-12, ID-4, IL-7, IN-3, IA-2, KS-10, KY-4, LA-17, MA-2, ME-4, MD-1, MI-3, MN-2, MS-27, MO-12, MT-10, NE-5, NV-3, NH-5, NJ-00000 (refuse to ever land in New Jersey), NM-18, NY-8, NC-19, ND-2, OH-11, OK-28, OR-2, PA-3, SC-5, SD-3, TN-11, TX-200+, UT-5, VA-22, WA-2, WI-6, WV-1, WY-7

TOTAL: 549

Averages out to be one new airport for every 1.6 months that I've been flying.

Regards.

-JD

Got to thinking while re-reading these posts, forgot about the 3 dikes, numerous farm roads and farm feilds in Ala, Miss, La and Ark while doing aerial appllicating, six lakes is this area while flying amphibs, the water at Fort Severn on Hudsons Bay, the harbors at St Croix and Buenos Aires,the bean feild that i put a mouse into when the engine trashed itself and the hayfield that belonged to an old girlfriends father, when i stopped to visit one day., not real popular with dad.

The airport that i had my first airplane ride from, 52 years ago is long gone, the airport that i learned to fly on 42 years ago is gone, 35 airports in this area that i used to fly into are either gone or pretty well deserted. In the last 42 years i have flown over 100 differant makes and models of aircraft, over 13 thousand hours and loved every minute of it, i have met many people and been many places and i am thankful for the fun and opportunities the piece of paper in my pocket allowed me to enjoy, it makes me sad when i look back at the things that i was able to do, that pilots today are not able to enjoy, i wonder just how long we will be able to enjoy aviation at all in this country.

Hope i didnt totally depress everybody.

Back