How many accidents have you seen?

A biplane's tail came apart during an airshow at Corona (AJO)--went straight in.
If you are talking about 1976 I was there and saw it too. I remember thinking that the pullout from the loop was too aggressive... and it was. Left an impression on me for sure.

I saw one of these, only it was not fatal. The cub was going head to head with a convertible. The pilot misjudged her height, shattered the windshield of the convertible, and partially tore off the gear of the Piper. Luckily the people in the convertible ducked. I was a very new pilot at the time and thought it was a part of the act. I was wondering how they got the gear to hang like that...

I once thought I was going to see an accident, when the piston twin departing in front of us disappeared behind some buildings. Then they reappeared. We had to quickly get off the runway because the tower gave them, "cleared to land any runway".

Was it her ex in the car? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you are talking about 1976 I was there and saw it too. I remember thinking that the pullout from the loop was too aggressive... and it was. Left an impression on me for sure.
Sounds about right. You could here the prop auger into the ground and it took almost a minute for the bits and pieces to flutter down.

Watched a number of skydivers go in. One right next to me. He made it to the trauma center just to die of a rare anesthesia complication.

I remember a few although only one involved serious injuries and that one was a student pilot in a Traumahawk on his first XC flight who clipped HV powerlines on a two mile final to my home base. I was on base to a parallel runway and had spotted the plane before he hit and was thinking he was awfully low but it's hard to judge the altitude of a plane between you and terra firma. Then I couldn't see the plane any more for a while until I spotted the bent up wreckage on the ground among some small trees.

The other two were also at my home field. One was a student in a Beech Sport on his first solo. I was standing next to his CFI (who I didn't actually know) when the student landed too fast, porpoised a few times then folded the nosegear. The tire caught fire and I got a lineman with a tug to run out and put the fire out. The student climbed out of the airplane leaving the mags, fuel, mixture, and master on then ran to his car in the parking lot and drove away without talking to anyone. I don't think he ever returned to flying. The CFI was just muttering swear words.

And the third involved a PPL and a CFI giving him a complex checkout in a Musketeer. The pilot touched down reasonably well and shortly after that the gear partially retracted while the plane was still rolling at 50-60 mph. The CFI said the pilot just grabbed the gear selector switch and raised it before the CFI could do anything to prevent it. The pilot was probably in the habit of raising flaps immediately after touchdown, a practice I've always thought to be risky and unnecessary in any airplane that doesn't have manual (Johnson bar) flaps.

Not only did I witness mine, but some guy has now put it on Youtube!

Several. A few gear up landings and a botched landing of a school aircraft. I was the first to the scene of the school aircraft to which we found upside down with the guys thankfully unharmed. Saw the powered para-glider accident at Gaston's last year. I thought I was about to see the dude die but thankfully he survived.

I saw the aftermath of the Roush crash at OSH'10 as we were walking to get dinner at the Red Barn.

I've almost been in a 737 windshear accident. I'm still surprised to this day we stayed on the runway.

After 30 some years of being involved with Reno, and other air shows way, way to many. But none as bad as sept 16, 2011 though.

Bob

I saw the aftermath of the Roush crash at OSH'10 as we were walking to get dinner at the Red Barn.
I didn't see the actual crash but I was sitting on the other runway ready to depart when he stalled in. Didn't get airborne for another 3 hours and then only after begging repeatedly.

Ive seen that before! Oh man that sound, I couldn't imagine how it sounded inside, if you even heard with the adrenaline pumping.

Formula One air racer and a F4 (Thunderbird) at IAD; both fatal. F105 fatal, and a Tomahawk non-fatal, with serious injuries.

Ive seen that before! Oh man that sound, I couldn't imagine how it sounded inside, if you even heard with the adrenaline pumping.

It was pretty quiet inside with the ANR headset!

When I was a youngster during the war years in the UK, out walking my dog just outside the town, a Wellington bomber flew over the last houses at a few hundred feet, did a 180 and went in a couple of fields from where I was. It caught fire immediately, and RAF personnel from a nearby barrage balloon site were keeping people away from the crash as ammunition belts were exploding in the fire. None of the crew survived, tragic.

China Lake NAS I watched a F4D Skyray auger in. Huge fireball pilot dead. Tablada Air Base Sevilla I watched a Tiger Moth kick it around with rudder on a slow turn to final. He did about 1-1/2 turns of a spin and the airplane was turned into rags and kindling . The pilot got by with a cut knee.

After 30 some years of being involved with Reno, and other air shows way, way to many. But none as bad as sept 16, 2011 though.

Bob
P-51 that lost elevator control?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Do you mean aside from my own?

Yeah, that was going to be my comment.

I've seen three or four accidents at Oshkosh, a gear up at CJR, and I've seen a few airplanes do landings when they knew they had gear problems.

Back