How long will it take to finish CO?NUS

How much longer will it take to claim CONUS airports?

• Up to one year.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Up to two years.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Up to three years.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Up to four years.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Up to five years.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • More than Five years.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
How long will it take to finish CONUS

I think Nick's idea of the CONUS challange is a great idea. I often find myself looking at the CONUS when deciding where to fly. There are currently over 3300 Fields left to claim. it really dosent matter that the fields weren't claimed in a year as it is a great Aviation Challance not a race. But I was wondering how long it will take to claim all the remaining airports in the challange?

Last edited:
...and you know what? It does not really matter.

This is perhaps the ultimate illustration of the principle that, "It is not the destination, but rather, the journey, which matters.'

I don't believe we'll get them all by the end of 2007, but I think December 31, 2008 is a possibility. You guys are right, it doesn't really matter.

I am afraid it looks that way.

As Chip said on the pilotcast, the end result is what matters here though. It would still be really cool to get them all claimed. Our original goal may have been a bit ambitious, but we can claim them all, that's for certain!

I'm so well settled in some matters and not likely to get anywhere to some unclaimed spots soon. But, I do wonder how remote some are. There has to be a few that would take a substantial effort to obtain credit for.

For this reason, I'm betting closer to the five year mark.

I'm such a loser that I haven't claimed one out of the 50 or so airports that I've landed at since this started. I did email the link to the site to a buddy of mine who flies a lot, and always has his camera with him, and he's considerably more motivated than I am. Hopefully he'll claim a few.
Anyway, I say two years. My prediction is that people will continue to sign up and for a while, perhaps with increasing frequency, and sometime in the not too distant future, a whole lot of unclaimed airports will get claimed in a very short period of time. I also think that some of the more remote airports will be hard to claim in the end. Like it'll get to 98% and stay there for a few months.
Actually, I'm going to go email the link to the site to all of the pilots who do the traffic watch, and a few CFIs. At least two of three of them will sign up and maybe do something.

EDIT: I just sent an email out to 32 pilots. I asked the CFIs to send the link to the CONUS to any of their students who might be interested, and asked the rest to let other folks that might be interested know about it too. Most of those people on that list fly a lot. Let's see if it does anything

Last edited:
I'm such a loser that I haven't claimed one out of the 50 or so airports that I've landed at since this started. I did email the link to the site to a buddy of mine who flies a lot, and always has his camera with him, and he's considerably more motivated than I am. Hopefully he'll claim a few.
Anyway, I say two years. My prediction is that people will continue to sign up and for a while, perhaps with increasing frequency, and sometime in the not too distant future, a whole lot of unclaimed airports will get claimed in a very short period of time. I also think that some of the more remote airports will be hard to claim in the end. Like it'll get to 98% and stay there for a few months.
Actually, I'm going to go email the link to the site to all of the pilots who do the traffic watch, and a few CFIs. At least two of three of them will sign up and maybe do something.

EDIT: I just sent an email out to 32 pilots. I asked the CFIs to send the link to the CONUS to any of their students who might be interested, and asked the rest to let other folks that might be interested know about it too. Most of those people on that list fly a lot. Let's see if it does anything

Wow - awesome man!! This should help a bunch!

Want to add more airports to the CONUS challage???

Want to add more airports to the CONUS challange? Than believe me when I say I land at an airport and remove the requirement to take a silly photo at the airport. When I say I land at an airport, then believe me. I enter the landing in my logbook and that should be enough proof I landed there.

More than willing to participate, but if I have to post a photo with "GO FLY AMERICA" on it you can forget it.

I am tired of not being trusted.

Re: Want to add more airports to the CONUS challage???

Want to add more airports to the CONUS challange? Than believe me when I say I land at an airport and remove the requirement to take a silly photo at the airport. When I say I land at an airport, then believe me. I enter the landing in my logbook and that should be enough proof I landed there.

More than willing to participate, but if I have to post a photo with "GO FLY AMERICA" on it you can forget it.

I am tired of not being trusted.

Sorry but I really like the photos. It's nice to actually SEE the place. I love to look at all of Barbs and it's really cool to go and find an airport you didn't check was already claimed and they took almost the same shot as you did. Really I always have my digital camera with me for the cool shots you can only get from the air. Any peice of paper with 'Go Fly America" on it works. Hey, Nick even wrote it on the back of an AFD. The photo requirment is really not something to complain about!

What is this about? I didn't see this. Is there a website? I'm kind of with Mark on the photo business, but I'm about to do some serious flying in June, and would love to participate. Too bad I didn't know about the photo requirement yesterday, when I was in COE. Does the fact that I was on the local news count, or do I actually have to post the video?

Judy

I never bring my camera with me. 1/2 the time the batteries are dead in it.

What is this about? I didn't see this. Is there a website? I'm kind of with Mark on the photo business, but I'm about to do some serious flying in June, and would love to participate. Too bad I didn't know about the photo requirement yesterday, when I was in COE. Does the fact that I was on the local news count, or do I actually have to post the video?

Judy

http://goflyamerica.org/

I vote we keep the photo requirement. But I would suggest that we drop the "Go Fly" sign and substitute the date/time stamp that most all digital cameras will print on the photo. (Not that there is a vote underway on this rule...) Sure, somebody can cheat if they want. Who cares at this point?

I've had a lot of fun with this. I've gotten 20+ airports in New York and New England. It has gotten me into airports that I otherwise would have no reason to visit, and as you know, each one is a bit different and therefore a learning experience.

I think we should open up the right to claim an airport after a year so that someone else can put a primary claim on the airport and get the fun and experience. Go Fly America is a fabulous project for newly certificated pilots who are looking for relatively short VFR X-Cs to load up their bag of experience with. No offense meant at all to Barb, but how excited can a newly minted PP-ASEL in Michigan get about GoFlyAmerica?

I think we should let these newbie guys/gals play in our sandbox by letting the primary claim lapse after a period of time even as we pursue the 100% claimed status. The first claim can become an "originally claimed by ... " line on the airport status page.

Will we reach 100%? Sure. I can't decide if the last airports will proceed very, very slowly or if there will be a surge at the end. Time will tell. but we will get there.

OK, Go Fly!

-Skip

Yep, with no cable to get it off the phone and onto the computer.

My claim on 1D2 is exactly that, from my camera phone. It's really easy to get it off the phone without a cable, picture text it to your email addy. Come on it's what at most $.30 for the message if you don't have a data plan.

Missa

We have been through this before, you can email from your phone to your computer, you just buy the cable, or use bluetooth. Don't have a phone with bluetooth? Maybe time to upgrade.

Why? It's a PHONE!!! That's all I need it for, want it for, use it for. All this crap on phones is almost as retarded as the refrigerator with a TV built into it. Now, I'm sorry, but I really don't want the woman who should be making my dinner screwing it up because she got mad at something she saw on Dr Phil while she should be cookin!

Why? It's a PHONE!!! That's all I need it for, want it for, use it for. All this crap on phones is almost as retarded as the refrigerator with a TV built into it. Now, I'm sorry, but I really don't want the woman who should be making my dinner screwing it up because she got mad at something she saw on Dr Phil while she should be cookin!

Luddite! :p:p

;);):D:D

I think Nick's idea of the CONUS challange is a great idea. I often find myself looking at the CONUS when deciding where to fly.
I used the site as a resource when planning my long trip and found it to be most helpful. :yes:

Several airports that I landed at were already claimed, but one deserved additional comments that maybe someday might be useful to someone else.

Several airports that I landed at hadn't been claimed, but I didn't have time and/or access to the sign at the time. And several were private strips.

Yeah, like hiding behind club rules on why they can't fly somewhere.

No hiding anymore... I can fly to 6Y9 because its public use, I misundertood club rules last year. Now I just don't have a plane for Gastons + I really should finish the Kitchen...

Missa

I like the pictures and I love it when someone has and inflight as well as on the ground shot. I would like to do that but I always seem to forget to get the inflight shot. As to how long it will take, it doesn't matter to me, it is fun while it lasts. I suspect it may take a while. There's some pretty challenging bush strips out there that might not get claimed for some time.

Sorry but I really like the photos. It's nice to actually SEE the place. I love to look at all of Barbs and it's really cool to go and find an airport you didn't check was already claimed and they took almost the same shot as you did. Really I always have my digital camera with me for the cool shots you can only get from the air. Any peice of paper with 'Go Fly America" on it works. Hey, Nick even wrote it on the back of an AFD. The photo requirment is really not something to complain about!
That's OK with me. If you want people to claim airports and require a photo, then count me out. If you want to make it optional, then that woud be OK. My only point is that it should not be a requirement to post a photo to claim an aiport. We should be trusted more than that.

That's OK with me. If you want people to claim airports and require a photo, then count me out. If you want to make it optional, then that woud be OK. My only point is that it should not be a requirement to post a photo to claim an aiport. We should be trusted more than that.

It's not a matter of trust. It's a matter of compiling a database with pictures of every airport. It makes it more fun.

It's not a matter of trust. It's a matter of compiling a database with pictures of every airport. It makes it more fun.
IIRC it was to prove you landed at an airport.

I picked up my first one last week (0b5). I need to build XC time for my IR so I'll be looking for unclaimed airports. I like the idea of a picture being required. A touch & go shouldn't count as visiting an airport. Is it possible to upload more than one pic of an airport? A picture of my mug in front of the airport sign often isn't the best shot of the airport.

Its not really a matter of trust (although in the beginning, that is how it started). It is more a way to collect a photo at each airport. How cool would it be if at the end of all this, we have photos of every airport in the United States?

Obviously, at this point, if someone's gonna fake a claim, they can fake it even with the photo, and we've only really had 1 dispute on any claims to begin with, and that was someone who claimed every airport in Arizona in one day by uploading the picture that is available on Airnav.

The rule is just to keep the challenge organized and fun. I don't think we'll be dropping the photo requirement anytime soon, but I will discuss with Chip about the claim sign. I like it, but I'm always open to change...

I've got pictures of lots of airports where I've landed. Just not with the sign.

Of course, many of them were before the 1st of this year...

Eh it fun. I keep the claim sign folded in my kneeboard. How hard can that be?

Heck you can just write the words on anything and it counts. I think its good branding.

The sign is kind of like the traveling garden nome... it being in the picture shows that it's part of the challenge. I like some of the custom signs made by Barb and others. I also thought the orignal intention was to Leave the sign at the airport so that the claim would be staked kind of like that american flag up on the moon and as a way to raise people's curiosity so they go check out the website.

Missa

Speaking of the nome.... where is he?

The sign is kind of like the traveling garden nome... it being in the picture shows that it's part of the challenge. I like some of the custom signs made by Barb and others. I also thought the orignal intention was to Leave the sign at the airport so that the claim would be staked kind of like that american flag up on the moon and as a way to raise people's curiosity so they go check out the website.

Missa

Actually, that was the original intent. A way to spread the word about the challenge. I admit, even I don't usually leave the sign behind anymore (the last one I left it behind at was KLVS)....maybe I should start again.

Missa

Dave has him hostage in Texas. Hasn't been sharing him, though he did take him out to lunch! LOL!
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14281

And I'm not too keen on requiring a photo and wish we could post more than one! How about any claim without a photo get bumped by the first one that includes one? With credit to the initial claimant as was suggested wehn talking about "expiring" claims.

i always forget my sign on glider flights. of course i rarely land at other airports in the glider anyway. last claim i made i just wrote Go Fly America on a sectional and had Leah snap the picture.

Eh it fun. I keep the claim sign folded in my kneeboard. How hard can that be?

Heck you can just write the words on anything and it counts. I think its good branding.

I like the one where someone wrote it on their hand. Anything works.

Barb

I think we should open up the right to claim an airport after a year so that someone else can put a primary claim on the airport and get the fun and experience. Go Fly America is a fabulous project for newly certificated pilots who are looking for relatively short VFR X-Cs to load up their bag of experience with. No offense meant at all to Barb, but how excited can a newly minted PP-ASEL in Michigan get about GoFlyAmerica?

I think we should let these newbie guys/gals play in our sandbox by letting the primary claim lapse after a period of time even as we pursue the 100% claimed status. The first claim can become an "originally claimed by ... " line on the airport status page.
-Skip

No offense taken by me. Any one can make a second claim(visit). I wish they could be displayed with the "new" first claims. Sometimes the number of new claims doesn't match the number of actual claims, and I assume the difference are the "visit" claims. I'd like to see these writeups but it isn't obvious which airport they belong to.

Eventually, it is going to become difficult to find an unclaimed airport. And hopefully, one day it will become impossible because we claimed them all!

Barb

Back