How long is reasonable for unscheduled maintenance tasks?

AndRotate

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AndRotate
I am a student pilot and I bought my first plane, a 1979 Piper Archer II, in December. So, I am very new to both flying and airplane ownership. I have my annual scheduled for the end of next month, but yesterday after a flight, my nose gear tire pressure was low. It seems I have developed a leak in the tube, so it's not going to be able to make it until the annual. I had fairly low tread on the tire to begin with as well, so I've emailed my A&P to ask about getting the tire and tube replaced.

What kind of turnaround time is reasonable for when a mechanic could fit this type of job in? I know I had to schedule my annual 8+ weeks out, but for unscheduled maintenance like this, I don't know if it is a "within a couple of days" type of thing or "several weeks" before they can get my plane in the hangar to do this type of work. Would love to hear your experiences with what to expect here.

A couple of notes: I have my checkride coming up in a couple of weeks so I want to make sure everything is 100% before then. Depending on when my A&P says he can get me in, I may need to call other A&Ps to see if I can get in sooner, but want my expectations to be reasonable.

What’s reasonable for one shop, may be unreasonable for another. The size of the shop and number of mechanics on hand, plays a big role in their availability. If it’s a place that caters to the turboprops and jets, than you’ll generally be lower priority.

On average, a couple days at most would be reasonable for a simple job like that.

My experience has been from 2 days to a week. I actually called with a flat tire on Thursday, and taking it in Monday.

I also just scheduled my annual for October.

Where are you located?
If an aircraft is near KCGF I could do it same day if someone called early enough, next day the latest. Then again I am not a shop.

What kind of turnaround time is reasonable for when a mechanic could fit this type of job in?
Lot of variables to that question. But if this is your regular mechanic and you have explained the checkride situation to him then I don't see why he couldn't get you finished up before then. When I would get those last minute calls from the side business customers, I would always try to work something out even if I was working at the day job those days. If your mechanic can't get to it then you can always ask him for a referral for another mechanic. I've done that also and been the one referred to.

My on-airport mechanic usually takes 3 or 4 days to get me in, depending on how big a job it is.

It varies wildly. One thing you can do to help is make sure they have the tire and tube on hand and set aside for you. Otherwise, they’ll have to order parts and doing that a week in advance will save you a week of downtime.

A nose tire and tube isn’t a difficult job although the wheel pant can be tedious to deal with. Some mechanics will squeeze that kind of thing in immediately for a local customer. Others will put you on the list and get to it when it’s your turn, even if completely recovering a Staggerwing is ahead of you.

Talk to your local mechanic and decide what’s reasonable for you. And try to build a relationship so you are the one he squeezes in when something like this comes up in the future. And it certainly will.

Is there a EAA chapter on the field or nearby? Good time to join even if not flying an experimental. Make friends. Amazing what chapter members will do for each other. One might be an A&P but not full-time in a shop. There’s a couple like that in my chapter. Neither work as A&P full time but like to help other members. Both have built or are building RVs. Professionally, one is a risk mgr for major corp, the other is retired. Tire change - piece of cake and you’ll learn how to do it, too.

As mentioned, have the tire & tube and take off the wheel pant yourself.9/16 phillips is all you need. Or is that 7/16? I never remember until I’m crawling on the floor.

I think it's hilarious that on Monday, as a student pilot (but the owner) isn't allowed to even change the tire, but on Tuesday after the successful checkride, you're allowed to do everything in AC43 listed as Preventive Maintenance.

Last edited:
Does the mechanic (or you) have the parts? That might be the bigger driver for how long it takes to repair the airplane than the time to get it in the shop and done.

Another thing I’d suggest is to call and talk to someone in the shop rather than rely on email. Most of the mechanics I know will respond a lot faster to a phone call than they will an email.

my advise to anybody that owns a plane is to spend some time wandering around the airport making friends. you would be amazed at the skills you will find there. I am at my hangar a couple of days a week and almost everyone in that block of hangars knows im an A&P IA. something that simple can get fixed in a hour or so, for a six pack of adult beverages. plus you will learn how to do it.

Has anyone patched an aircraft tube to get back to home base? I have patched umpteen bicycle tubes and small tire tubes and the patches often hold perfectly for years. I threw a heavy duty tube patch kit in my flight bag, but does anyone have experience doing it with an aircraft tire?

I was taught to, "never say never & never say always" so I can't say that I'd never do it.

I have a spare tube in my supplies that I use for going places. It would be as easy and perhaps quicker to just change out the tube and be done with it.

Has anyone patched an aircraft tube to get back to home base?
FWIW: if your fly away kit has the tools to pull your tube to patch it, carry a spare tube. If not, it's been known that many an aircraft got home with Stan's No Tube or other similar commercial grade sealant......;)

FWIW: if your fly away kit has the tools to pull your tube to patch it, carry a spare tube. If not, it's been known that many an aircraft got home with Stan's No Tube or other similar commercial grade sealant......;)
This type of sealant is actually much more available now than even 5 years ago since nearly 50% of more of serious mountain bikes are using tubeless tires so the sealant can be found at every bicycle shop. A bit heavier and bulkier than a patch to carry everyday in a flight bag, but also a lot faster - just inject and fill back up with air. But I still would trust a patch to seal more holes of different sizes and shapes than Stan's (even though Stan's is great).

I do also carry several schraeder valve cores in my flight bag, as they are known to leak and go bad from time to time. A flat tire could be no more than a leaking valve stem.

Slow leak? Can you fill it before every flight and be safe? If yes wait until after your check ride, do it yourself. Bone head simple and use the savings to buy av gas

This is why it's very, very good to develop a good relationship with your A&P (and why having a small-shop A&P is also usually better than using a "jet center." Be a good, friendly customer. Pay your bill promptly. Don't hassle over little stuff. Stop in and say hi from time to time, take him (or her) coffee/lunch/a six pack. Be personable. When your A&P likes you and sees you as a good customer, things like this tend to get taken care of quickly if there's a real urgency (planned trip, checkride, etc.). That said, you also don't want to be the customer that makes a big stink about getting work done quickly when you've got no genuine need for it.

So did your mechanic answer? Usually, they will prioritize AOG situations more than scheduled maintenance, especially something as trivial as a tire change, just like your doctor/dentist will see sick calls/toothaches with more priority than your regular checkups/cleanings.

Just an update. My A&P replied to my email this morning and said they'd definitely be able to get it done this week. Guess I was worrying over it being a long, drawn out process. Turned out to be a non issue. Appreciate all the tips though. I definitely need to make some friends on the field, too.

Back