How long does the PPL take to arrive in the mail?

It seemed to come fast. More than a week, less than a month. You should get yours any day now. I ran out and had mine laminated since people told me the letters wear off in a few months if you keep it in your wallet, but others told me not to worry about it since I can get a replacement for a few bucks.

Kimberly

If you check the FAA's Airmen Certification page, you'll see that as of today, they're about five weeks from date of Temp to mailing the permanent. That makes your expected date of receipt about the first week of February. Since your Temp is good for 120 days, relax and enjoy the new privileges until the plastic card comes.

I ran out and had mine laminated since people told me the letters wear off in a few months if you keep it in your wallet, but others told me not to worry about it since I can get a replacement for a few bucks.

Kimberly
I folded a bit of Tyvek and stuck the certificate inside - that seems to be helping.

It takes essentially forever until you get it, then you'll beam for about 2 hours, and then it won't matter to you any more. I've been asked once to present it for any purpose in years, and that purpose was dubious at best ("for security").

Besides, we'll revoke your membership in the League of Temporary Airmen as soon as your permanent certificate arrives.

My checkride was Dec 13th and I got my card on Jan 7th. Not bad considering the holidays.

It took about 3 weeks for me.

A couple weeks after you have it in your wallet you won't be able to read the numbers. :D

The quickest I have ever seen was my commercial - it arrived less than 10 days after the checkride. 2 weeks to a month seems more common.

About 2.5 weeks for my pp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 month to the day for my PPL

As I recall it was about 3 weeks.

Thread jack: Anyone care to chime in on how long it takes for the aircraft registration to be processed with the faa when you purchase a plane?

I don't think it was much over 2 weeks for the new plastic after my IR ride in September. In other words, YMMV.

The amount of time it takes varies with the volume of activity and the available staff at the Airmen Registry. I'd think the volume is generally lower this time of year, but so is staffing, especially from Christmas Eve to the day after New Year's.

The amount of time it takes varies with the volume of activity and the available staff at the Airmen Registry. I'd think the volume is generally lower this time of year, but so is staffing, especially from Christmas Eve to the day after New Year's.

My A/P took about 37 days I guess.

My IR didn't arrive after two months, then three months. I called the Fort Worth FSDO, and they transferred me to a number where I left a message. Nothing happened. So I called again a week later and pushed harder for a response, and finally got told to phone a number in Oklahoma. I finally got hold of someone there, who informed me that there was a mistake on my application from the DPE (!!!!) and that they had informed him and were waiting for him to fix the application. The mistake was that he said the check ride was 14 hours instead of 1.4 hours. They said they would resubmit the request to the FSDO which would then contact the DPE... I offered to contact the DPE directly because I could see this was not going to happen quickly. Anyway, I managed to get hold of the DPE who was completely surprised and said he knew nothing about this. He contacted them and straightened it out, and I got my plastic card two week later.

Moral of the story is, stay on top of it, and if it takes longer than three months make sure you follow up and make sure there is not some silly paperwork issue.

Even with all the opposition surrounding our pictures being on our licenses, I, personally, can't wait. I am going to use it as my ID for everything as another way to promote G.A., corny as that sounds.

It takes essentially forever until you get it, then you'll beam for about 2 hours, and then it won't matter to you any more. I've been asked once to present it for any purpose in years, and that purpose was dubious at best ("for security").

Ah, but you can USE it!

For example, in an embarrassing moment to remember for the ages, I got on a Southwest flight a couple months after getting my ticket.

Since I was A3 or something like that, I stuck my bag up quickly above row 1, put my book on the seat I wanted to hold it, and squeezed back to the front. Pulled my license, showed it to the stewardess, and asked sheepishly "you know, I just got this, and was wondering, well, if I can go in the cockpit to chat with the pilots".

She looks at the cert, raises her head, smiles mischievously, then shouts at the top of her lungs "hey! boys in the flight deck! there's some guy here says he wants to meet you!"

They were all laughing pretty hard for a couple minutes after that. But I did get to see them preflight the damn plane, so red cheeks or not, it was worth it.

Back