How long does it take you to get to your airplane?

How long does it take to get to your plane?

• Total voters
Close enough that I can *see* my hangar from home, far enough that it takes me ~7 minutes to drive.

My hangar is halfway between the cyan glow on the left (Emerald Downs race track) and bright glow to the right and up (Auto Row in Auburn, WA).

nighttime1.jpg

http://www.wanttaja.com/nighttime1.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Looks like S50 country to me. :D

About 20 minutes from the house to the hangars at OLM. Hasn't changed in the 11 years I've been making the trip.

30 miles, 35 minutes :confused:.

One convenience is that I can plan on my take off time being one hour from the time I leave my garage. At least the math is easy. This only true if I remember to bring my hangar key. If ever do that again, I will have to consider selling the plane.

Scott

It's nice to be closer, but it's not a killer. I really loved having my plane 5 minutes away at IAD. I moved to VKX about 35 miles away. Now I'm at CJR about an hour away because:

1. I have a hangar.
2. There's an expert Navion mechanic there.
3. It's outside of all the DC Airspace nonsense.

On the other hand, in my NC house, I can get to my airplane from the house without even going outside. The runway runs down one side of my property.

Let me know if you guys are having another fly-in anytime soon!

For me its about 35 minutes. There is another airport 25 minutes away but it has no instrument approaches. The airport I base at has an ILS, is not expensive, and has good security. The other place I am not so sure about.

Normally I can be at the fbo from my room in about 3 minutes. Now if I get stuck behind a logging truck and/or a train its about 15 minutes to go 1.4 miles! :yikes:

1 hour drive. Same as my job and just about anything else of interest in this city.

Last edited:
I am 20 minutes from Auburn Muni S50 and Boeing BFI. I have club planes at both. Dave

30 minute drive away, I'd walk to it before I dealt with the nonsense at the airport 2 miles from my house.

When I was at Gillespie, from my house it took a little over half an hour during non rush hours. When I started taking lessons at Gillespie, I didn't own a car, so I used public transportation. That was a little over two an a half hours on the bus and trolley, then a forty five minute walk from the trolley stop to the flight school. It was not fun walking that in the summer in El Cajon, CA, one hundred plus temperatures. I spent over five hours on public transportation for one hour of flying lessons.

I decided to buy my Jeep and get a drivers license.

Now my airplanes at Montgomery Field, which is fifteen minutes from my house in my Jeep. It takes a little over two hours by bus.

The powers that be really can not understand, even though they have poured billions of dollars into public transportation, why people would rather drive a car to work. I think the reason is that other than for photo opportunities, not one of them has ever put a foot on any public transportation conveyance in their lives.

Every year they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars into studies of why people shun public transportation. I guess they keep doing it over and over expecting a different result from the one they are getting. Bureaucracies, don't you just love em?

John

The powers that be really can not understand, even though they have poured billions of dollars into public transportation, why people would rather drive a car to work. I think the reason is that other than for photo opportunities, not one of them has ever put a foot on any public transportation conveyance in their lives.

Every year they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars into studies of why people shun public transportation. I guess they keep doing it over and over expecting a different result from the one they are getting. Bureaucracies, don't you just love em?

John

Your kidding. Right?

I loved having the subway to ride to work when I worked in Chicago. It was great! NFW would I drive to work.

The subways are a good way to get around the Washington DC area also. Last time I was there, the car never left the hotel parking lot.

Using public transportation, (light rail is 5 min walk from my house) I can get to the closest light rail stop for KAPA in about 10-15 min. Then a bus to the closest stop intersection. Then a 2 mile walk to the airport because there's NO public transportation to the door of the airport. The fact that it's the 3rd busiest GA airport in the country, the fact that it's surrounded on 3 sides by mass quantities of business, that's irrelevant.

No, I'm not based at APA. Driving it can take 15 minutes or 2 hours depending on traffic. I've never spent more than 30 min getting to FTG.

Takes me about 1h15, from my door in Manhattan to FRG on Long Island. Similar time by either driving (takes time to get to my car, which is in a parking lot 15mins away) or via public transit (subway to the Long Island Railroad, then get a 10min car ride to the airport).

I live 8.5 miles away from my airport [I just checked... lol] and on a very good day it takes me 15 minutes to get there. If I go during rush hour... it takes 45 minutes... [and no, I'm not exaggerating.] ahhhh.

Your kidding. Right?

I loved having the subway to ride to work when I worked in Chicago. It was great! NFW would I drive to work.

The subways are a good way to get around the Washington DC area also. Last time I was there, the car never left the hotel parking lot.

In Southern California [especially Orange County] Public transportation is not very accessible, not to mention everything is far away from each other. Everyone drives, you almost have to. But when my mom lived in Washington D.C., the public transportation there was great!! She had no car, and we would always take the Metro[subway??] everywhere. It was so easy and inexpensive, I loved it.

Same here. And the office I used to rent was even closer. On some days I've made the round trip between home and airport more than once.

I've done that too. One morning I went out to wash my plane and after I was done I realized I wanted to fly, so I drove home to get my headset and flight bag and came back.

Using public transportation, (light rail is 5 min walk from my house) I can get to the closest light rail stop for KAPA in about 10-15 min. Then a bus to the closest stop intersection. Then a 2 mile walk to the airport because there's NO public transportation to the door of the airport. The fact that it's the 3rd busiest GA airport in the country, the fact that it's surrounded on 3 sides by mass quantities of business, that's irrelevant.

No, I'm not based at APA. Driving it can take 15 minutes or 2 hours depending on traffic. I've never spent more than 30 min getting to FTG.

That's why "RTD" stands for "Reason To Drive"!

Our "award-winning" Regional Transportation District at its finest.

It takes about one minute to get out to the hangar. It might take longer if I stop and pull a few weeds out of my garden first. :)

I'm about 20-25 minutes away. At some point I might join the "local" flying club that is slightly more expensive but only 5 minutes away..

I'm only about 18 minutes away from KHUT. When I move away I will miss the 3 runways, control tower, low storage rates, and no traffic on the highway.

Right now I drive 45 minutes, which is an improvement over the hour and 20 minutes I used to drive. I have an appointment for Saturday to try out an LSA that will require a drive of one hour and 40 minutes. Have Honda, will travel!

Like Diana, it takes me about a minute to walk from the house to the hangar.

If I decide to go flying I can be in the air about 10 minutes after the spirit moves me. It doesn't take long to preflight a Piper Colt.

Mark

I tie down at KSNA Orange County CA.
20 minutes tops

About 10 minutes. My plane is at KADS and my house is located right inside the class D airspace... There is actually a closer airstrip (Dallas Airpark) just down the road from me but no hangars available there.

About 10 minutes. My plane is at KADS and my house is located right inside the class D airspace... There is actually a closer airstrip (Dallas Airpark) just down the road from me but no hangars available there.

Where at ADS are you? I am west side.

Like Diana, it takes me about a minute to walk from the house to the hangar.

If I decide to go flying I can be in the air about 10 minutes after the spirit moves me. It doesn't take long to preflight a Piper Colt.

Mark

I don't even have to go outside. Hangar is attached to the house.
House-Snow.JPG

Jealous...

Looks like you need a snowblower, though. :)

Nah, it was melted by the afternoon. Freak North Carolina snow storm (this was back in January 2009). I like that picture because it covers the fact that the yard was all dirt and there was still some construction debris around. The picture is taken standing in the middle of the runway.

Back