How long does it take you to get to your airplane?

How long does it take to get to your plane?

• Total voters

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
My wife and I are contemplating a move, unfortunately, which would put me about 30 minutes away from my beloved airplane; it currently only takes me about 4 minutes to see her :(. This got me wondering how far other people drive in order to get to their planes (owned or rented).

My wife and I are contemplating a move, unfortunately, which would put me about 30 minutes away from my beloved airplane; it currently only takes me about 4 minutes to see her :(. This got me wondering how far other people drive in order to get to their planes (owned or rented).

VERY far but I have a love affair with my airport, the people, the diner, and my flight school. If I went after work, in rush hour traffic, it would take as much as an hour and a half one way. Stopped most of the way in the jams. If I went on a weekend from home, at the limit, about 45 minutes or less one way. If I went on a weekend from my boyfriend's house, at the limit, about 33 - 40 minutes one way.

VERY far but I have a love affair with my airport, the people, the diner, and my flight school. If I went after work, in rush hour traffic, it would take as much as an hour and a half one way. Stopped most of the way in the jams. If I went on a weekend from home, at the limit, about 45 minutes or less one way. If I went on a weekend from my boyfriend's house, at the limit, about 33 - 40 minutes one way.

Move in with boyfriend, problem solved.

25 minutes for me, relatively easy, half interstate, half main 6-4-2 lane road.

It's about four miles from my current house to the county airport. After I get my home built on my private airport (T14), I'll be living with my airplane.

It's about four miles from my current house to the county airport. After I get my home built on my private airport (T14), I'll be living with my airplane.

Hey, so you're the dude. I just spent an hour getting updated on your airport via your website.

When I get my PPL it will be about 15-20 minutes which coincidentally is how long it takes me to get to work. (same place)

20-25 minutes... never any traffic. It's the boonies of Central Illinois! :D

It takes about 15 minutes, the airport (KBED) is about 6 miles away.

However, because I have it in a shared hangar, I usually have to move 3 or 4 airplanes out of the way to use the airplane.

I learned at an airport that is a 40 minutes drive (KLWM). If KBED becomes unavailable to me, I'd be ok with keeping the airplane at KLWM.

I have about a 45 mile drive, one way, which is way too long, but if I could find a Piper Arrow or comparable plane for cheaper than $123/hr, then I'd go there.

Renting at home, 45 minutes to the airplane. Used to be an hour until they moved it.

Out here, 20 minutes. Was 10, but I moved in with two buddies of mine to save some money on rent.

Mine is about 30 minutes either from home or from work. The only airport that would be more convenient for me is situated between home and work, about 10 minutes from work and 15 from home. But the hangars there are old with rusted doors, have no electricity, and the place is basically dead in almost every way (except that it's controlled and has ILS's in both directions... sigh).

40 minutes.
Azure's airport is much closer, but I REALLY prefer the scene at my little aerodrome in the boonies. (Which, just to be clear, is NOT the dead one with rusted hangar doors.)

Close enough that I can *see* my hangar from home, far enough that it takes me ~7 minutes to drive.

My hangar is halfway between the cyan glow on the left (Emerald Downs race track) and bright glow to the right and up (Auto Row in Auburn, WA).

nighttime1.jpg

http://www.wanttaja.com/nighttime1.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
About 20 minutes, but when they finish the Lincoln bypass, it should shave about 10 minutes off.

6 miles. I allow 12 to 15 minutes. If in a big hurry, it can be done in 8 to 10 minutes.

Also, it has a bed and kitchen and shower, if for some reason I need to be there overnight.

About 200 feet from my front door, as the crow flies.
I usually get sidetracked by some little thing so it takes me a couple of minutes to get there.

47 miles away..... 45 minutes to drive, worth every ounce of car gas and avgas.

Until the Keystone XL makes it through my place, clearing the way for a grass strip, my beloved Miss Piggy is at an airport 35 minutes away. No other hangars within any reasonable distance at all are available.

My wife works in that town, so we do some of our shopping and eating out there, so even though it's a long distance away it's sort of local for us anyway. Of course, when you live 20 miles from the nearest four lane highway or railroad track, EVERYTHING is far away.

My airport is about 1.5 miles away, under 5 min with 3 traffic lights. BUT no plane so the one I currently fly is 26.5 miles away and about a 40 min drive.

I'm about 20 minutes away from my plane. When it starts getting over 30 - 45 I think it diminishes the ability to fly. I know it does at least for me personally.

It's nice to be closer, but it's not a killer. I really loved having my plane 5 minutes away at IAD. I moved to VKX about 35 miles away. Now I'm at CJR about an hour away because:

1. I have a hangar.
2. There's an expert Navion mechanic there.
3. It's outside of all the DC Airspace nonsense.

On the other hand, in my NC house, I can get to my airplane from the house without even going outside. The runway runs down one side of my property.

I get to mine in about 12 minutes in light traffic, and it can take as long as 30 or 40 minutes at rush hour. Unfortunately, it is on the other side of two major highways, and one finds crossing such roads to be a real barrier.

What's funny is this: my home is right under the FAF for the ILS approach to 33 at KADS; that is 3.9DME from the field. Very frustrating.

I'm about 20 minutes away from my plane. When it starts getting over 30 - 45 I think it diminishes the ability to fly. I know it does at least for me personally.

In San Antonio I lived 20 minutes from SSF. That wasn't too bad. Living in NoVa, it's 45 minutes from my house to the hangar at HEF on a good day. In rush hour it can top an hour. And there really isn't anything closer - Potomac and Hyde are at least as far - College Park is even further. Add in the SFRA & IFR departure procedures if headed north or NE, and it does reduce utility. My flying is down at least 50% since moving back here, enough that I continue to think about selling the plane.

I get to mine in about 12 minutes in light traffic, and it can take as long as 30 or 40 minutes at rush hour. Unfortunately, it is on the other side of two major highways, and one finds crossing such roads to be a real barrier.

What's funny is this: my home is right under the FAF for the ILS approach to 33 at KADS; that is 3.9DME from the field. Very frustrating.

While I'm further than that from HEF, the ride is frustrating with badly timed traffic lights on one major road I must take. I can see DCA from my office & get to see arriving/departing flights out the window (River Visual) - but I know we'll never, ever go back to a time where there were a couple of dozen small GA planes tied down at the northern end of DCA. :sad:

About 15 minutes.

If this ADS-B thing forces me out of the 30 mile ring, it would be a good hour. Or sell the airplane.

In Living in NoVa, it's 45 minutes from my house to the hangar at HEF on a good day. In rush hour it can top an hour. And there really isn't anything closer -

The traffic you have in NoVa is horrible Bill. I have to deal with 495 also. :rolleyes:

My flying is down at least 50% since moving back here, enough that I continue to think about selling the plane.

Mine flying is down also. I probably should bite the bullet and either get some partners or just sell the thing. I think we've been saying this for a while, huh?

15 miles from home, avg. trip is 20 minutes
4 miles from work, avg trip 5-10 minutes

I live about 5 minutes from the local class Charlie, but drive about 20 to my own field. I could have had a hangar at the Charlie, but it was a pain, and I didn't feel like mixing it up with the heavies.

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to mine. I could have it closer, but I like the small town airport I'm at.

About 15 minutes to my end-hangar at Wiscasset(normal base), photo 1.

About 18 minutes to heated winter quarters in Brunswick,photo 2.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G 042809.jpg
    N7872G 042809.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 10
  • KBXM Plane and HANGAR.jpg
    KBXM Plane and HANGAR.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 8
Mine's about 15 minutes away. It's the closest airport.

I wouldn't necessarily mind the plane being further away, and I've dealt with as much as a 2-hour commute at various points in my flying career. Ideally, I'd like to have the plane in my garage. That's, unfortunately, not all that practical.

The traffic you have in NoVa is horrible Bill. I have to deal with 495 also. :rolleyes:

The good thing is that - at the most - I have to deal with only 2 miles of the Beltway (495) either for the hangar or work. And I *can* avoid it entirely either to go to work or go to the hangar.

The BAD thing is that I cannot (as a practical matter) avoid I-66 to go to the hangar. And that road is just as bad - if not worse - than the Beltway during rush hour (going with traffic). And part of it is worse than the Beltway on weekends. There are ways around it, but they're longer (because of badly timed lights) than just festering on I66.

JYO's not practical as 1) it's further, 2) it's longer on the Beltway (harder to avoid) and 3) it requires use of that infernal toll road (which costs more money & can be pretty slow from Tyson's westward during rush).

Mine flying is down also. I probably should bite the bullet and either get some partners or just sell the thing. I think we've been saying this for a while, huh?

Yep.

Last edited:
The airport where I work is about 35 minutes away and there is usually not much traffic. Of course it wasn't much fun driving home at 3:30 am last night, actually that was this morning, in a snowstorm.

From work, I am about 8-10 minutes to the FBO, from home it's closer to 30.:( There is a grass strip that is almost close enough to walk to from my house, but it's private and floods in heavy rains!:yikes:

From work, I am about 8-10 minutes to the FBO, from home it's closer to 30.:( There is a grass strip that is almost close enough to walk to from my house, but it's private and floods in heavy rains!:yikes:

There is a private, grass strip at the end of my road in the middle of a farmer's corn field. However, at 1,200 ft, the Tiger ain't going in there (or out) anytime soon. Maybe when I get my RV, I can do an overhead break into there. :D

Back