How long does a deferral take?

F

FlightlessBird

It's been over a decade since I flew or had a valid medical. In that time I became type 2 diabetic, controlled with oral meds (a1c 7.3).

I did a medical (3rd class), brought a letter from my doc and as expected was deferred. The AME said if hear from the FAA in 1 to 2 weeks.

Does anyone here know what the timeline for an SI looks like? As best I can tell I fall within guidelines regarding acceptable meds, a1c, no hypo episodes, and no systematic issues with the possible issue around microalbumin.

Mine was deferred in October 2020... still waiting. When I call weekly, they say it's in the pool and awaiting review.

I'll let you know.... on round 4 of the deferral merry go-round since sept 2020...

It's been over a decade since I flew or had a valid medical. In that time I became type 2 diabetic, controlled with oral meds (a1c 7.3).

I did a medical (3rd class), brought a letter from my doc and as expected was deferred. The AME said if hear from the FAA in 1 to 2 weeks.

Does anyone here know what the timeline for an SI looks like? As best I can tell I fall within guidelines regarding acceptable meds, a1c, no hypo episodes, and no systematic issues with the possible issue around microalbumin.

Sounds like you are eligible for Basic Med, which would avoid all the FAA rigmarole. Have you considered it?

Sounds like you are eligible for Basic Med, which would avoid all the FAA rigmarole. Have you considered it?
My last medical was too long ago. Also, one day I'd like to for a 2nd class and become a CFI for fun.

So the hope is to have this stuff already sorted out by then and maybe the FAA will have enough data to further streamline these SI's for well managed cases.

My last medical was too long ago. Also, one day I'd like to for a 2nd class and become a CFI for fun.

So the hope is to have this stuff already sorted out by then and maybe the FAA will have enough data to further streamline these SI's for well managed cases.

Oh, okay. You wrote “over a decade” (2011) so I thought you might be eligible, but you didn’t say just how much over a decade. :) If your last medical was issued in the second half of 2004 you’d be good.

My dad waited for about a year for a first class medical. His blood pressure was within limits in 2 months. FAA took another 10 months to give him back his medical.

Although your question has been answered, this was my experience:

• 7/6/2020 - Deferred
  • Early August 2020 - request for more information
  • 9/14/20 - Denied with suggestion that HIMS would be my only option
  • late December 2020 - Admitted to HIMS for monitoring
  • 7/23/21 - SI and 3rd class medical received.

HIMS is a bit different the diabetes. I had a student get his SI within a couple months.

OP here.
It's just shy of 2 weeks and still waiting on the first letter in this deferral process...

It took two months to receive the first letter from the FAA after a deferral. October - December 2020.

One month for me to schedule and do the tests they requested - January.

Two months for the FAA to respond to that with a denial and request for more tests for reconsideration - March.

Three months for me to complete the new and repeat tests the FAA requested showing results - June.

Two months later, still waiting, the file is "in the pool, waiting for a doctor to review it."

Does anyone here know what the timeline for an SI looks like?
OP here to wrap a nice bow on this in case someone searches this thread. It took 5 weeks (including a Labor Day) to receive anything in the mail.

The enclosed letter was not a request for more info but a medical good for 1 year and an SI good for 6 years with various instructions.

I'd like to that Dr Bruce and countless others who's advice and links to FAA docs helped me to request the appropriate info from my doc and to have the patience to wait until I was controlled enough to avoid other issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back