how long did it take you to get your tw rating?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
For those that didn't start their training in a tail dragger. Is this one with a min hr requirement or just up to cfi descresion? Thinking of doing something different just for fun.

The school I got mine from had a minimum 10 hours to signoff, but actually learning t/o, wheel and 3 pt landings in a Cub was probably only a couple at most. Biggest thing is keeping the feet active to keep it straight on rollout. Really do have to fly till you tie it down.

Do it, low slow and elbow out the window is a cool way to spend an afternoon.

6 hours in a Citabria for me...but my instructor knew I was learning in order to fly an old Taylorcraft I had just bought, which was very docile...

No minimum requirement as far as FARS, and it's not a rating, only an endorsement to your logbook. I flew TWs before the endorsement was required so I was exempt. Really just read a bit about them and checked myself out.

I certify that (Pilot’s Name), (Pilot’s Certificate), (Pilot’s Certificate Number), has received the required training of section 61.31(i) in a (make and model tailwheel airplane). I have determined that he/she is proficient in the operation of a tailwheel airplane.”

Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) section 61.31(i) elaborates:
“The flight training must include at least the following maneuvers and procedures:
 (i) Normal and crosswind takeoffs and landings;
 (ii) Wheel landings (unless the manufacturer has recommended against such landings); and
 (iii) Go-around procedures.”

Last edited:
I learned from the start in a taildragger, and most of my students were the same way.

For the few that were trying to get into Tailwheel from trikes, I'd say for them to think of it as getting to their first solo again.

Now when I trained I did train so they could actually fly the thing solo in real life, not just weekend get a new endorsement training.

Had about 100 hours TT (all Cherokee) in 1971when we finished re-building a Champ I had bought out of a barn, at a buddy's strip...my very first airplane. My mechanic took it around the patch, pronounced it an airplane, and I hopped in and flew it home to my strip (10 minutes). Ground-looped the thing with the wing over the top of an 8x8 post on the first landing. No damage, fortunately, but I determined that I needed to pay more attention to the rudder :)

I like to think I contributed to the regulation en-acted requiring a sign-off, by telling that story over the years. As someone else said, I'm STILL learning to use my feet, every time. Get good training and find some cross-winds before you go solo.

Jim

3 strikes you're out! Get it the f--k done!

Lol. Damn, the challenge is on. Knowing the count is 2 strikes already may help the motivation. Now to fill the piggy bank. I just got some interesting ideas about how to do that.

Now to fill the piggy bank. I just got some interesting ideas about how to do that.

Check out Cajun's video, she had a few ideas on raising money in it. She might even let you borrow her FAA bag to put the loot in. In fact, she'll probably let you have it as it seems the coppers are looking for it too.

Check out Cajun's video, she had a few ideas on raising money in it. She might even let you borrow her FAA bag to put the loot in. In fact, she'll probably let you have it as it seems the coppers are looking for it too.

Lol. Those are the ideas was talkin about

Got mine last summer it took 4.5 hours and 20 landings in an Aeronca Super Chief. This summer I have been flying a Piper J5 (LOVE IT!!!!!). Have 26.4 hours in it since May and just at 100 landings.

My advice which you will hear from just about everyone:
  1. Keep it straight (people say move your feet this I think is even more critical). You can bounce (keep the stick in your gut), you can be fast (may make you bounce) BUT you HAVE to be straight. If your not sure go around.
  2. Lots of small corrections don't wait until it is obvious it needs to be corrected.
  3. Tailwheels were made for grass. Pavement really requires more diligence. I need more practice here have only done a handful since I am based on grass but my last pavement landing a couple weeks ago was a greaser so I know it can be done.
If you can find a plane with a stick instead of yoke you will love it. At least for me I find flying a stick just more natural. Have fun!!!

For the few that were trying to get into Tailwheel from trikes, I'd say for them to think of it as getting to their first solo again.

Now when I trained I did train so they could actually fly the thing solo in real life, not just weekend get a new endorsement training.

That's probably an accurate estimate for a tricycle guy transitioning. The big thing I see is training to actually be proficient in the airplane, not just be able to manage to get the plane back down in one piece.

One thing I've noticed is that many pilots tend to land crooked. The length of training will be dependent on how long it takes to break the bad habits picked up in the hours flown prior to starting tailwheel training.

Took me 13 hours till sign off. But also had some spin training in that as well. TW and spins...the most fun I've ever had in a plane.

Took me 13 hours till sign off. But also had some spin training in that as well. TW and spins...the most fun I've ever had in a plane.

Was it spin training while taxing? :eek: ;)

If you keep your eyes active, your feet don't have to work as hard. ;)

VERY true

Don't "dance" on the rudders or do that "happy feet" crap.

I good tailwheel pilot will use the rudder in SMALLER amount and be less twitchy on it compared to a bad tailwheel guy, it's just a matter of knowing what the plane is doing, what it's about to do and what it will do after that correction, this should all end up instinct.

For those that didn't start their training in a tail dragger. Is this one with a min hr requirement or just up to cfi descresion? Thinking of doing something different just for fun.

And fun it will be. I was transitioning to a Maule, which has a reputation for being one of the harder ones, and my insurance demanded 20 hours + 30 landings. If you are doing it just for fun then probably 5-10 hours in a more docile airplane.

VERY true

Don't "dance" on the rudders or do that "happy feet" crap.

I good tailwheel pilot will use the rudder in SMALLER amount and be less twitchy on it compared to a bad tailwheel guy, it's just a matter of knowing what the plane is doing, what it's about to do and what it will do after that correction, this should all end up instinct.

I agree I have tried both ways. I will if I have been out flying around for awhile pull my heels off the floor and "dance" on the rudders a little bit just to wake my legs up. That is why I use small corrections if you wait until it is really super obvious you will be back and forth all over the place. If you dance on the rudders then the nose just bobs back and forth and it isn't very smooth.

I was told if the tailwheel gets outside the main gear you pretty much just became a passenger and are just along for the ride at that point.

I only had a couple of lessons while the 182 was down for paint, but the guy told me it usually takes about 10 hrs. Judging from my performance and comfort level, that sounds about right

Do any of you not try to land your nose draggers straight forward? Tail draggers aren't very different. I had about 6 hours into my endorsement and another 6 with a famous instructor pilot to transition into my 180. Would you have wanted to put your kids in my plane on a windy day? Hell no. Getting an endorsement and being competent in the wind into short obstructed strips are VERY different things. Does flying a tail dragger make you a better pilot? An endorsement won't but lots of experience/hours at the controls in lots of different conditions might.

You'll learn about a rudder in a J-3. Not so much as a tail dragger but because Cubs and especially low powered Cubs are rudder airplanes. You'll also find solo flight a little awkward since you fly solo from the back seat.

The Aeroncas I have found are more rudder planes than the pipers. YMMV I can't imagine that J3 has much useful load with all that stuff in it.

You'll learn about a rudder in a J-3. Not so much as a tail dragger but because Cubs and especially low powered Cubs are rudder airplanes. You'll also find solo flight a little awkward since you fly solo from the back seat.

Meh, doesn't matter the taildragger.

If you build a good foundation, it's all the same.

Looks like my first tailwheel flight was in March of 1999, and I still don't have the endorsement so... 17 years plus sounds about right. :)

Mine was a 5 hour package deal in a J-3 Cub that I did just after getting my private at a little grass strip south of my home airport. Even took a cross country in it in those 5 hours. And by cross country I mean 8 miles to my home airport. Funny watching mini-vans pass you on the highway. Cub is fun though. Fly with the door/window open. Take-off at 60, fly at 60, land at 60.

I got my TW after my PPL around 70 hour TT. Took two lessons and 2.6 hrs to get the endorsement, but be advised that most places I've come across want at least 10 hrs or more before they will let you solo.

TW is fun, but I don't think it's really worth it unless you plan to fly tailwheels. In other words, if you are just looking to do it for the same if doing it, I wouldn't bother.

. Cub is fun though. Fly with the door/window open. Take-off at 60, fly at 60, land at 60.

Took a friend up in a Cub w/ window/door open and flew over his house. His wife and 2-3 year old son standing by the pool, he leans out and moons them! He was a student pilot, don't know who his instructor was.... :rolleyes:

The Aeroncas I have found are more rudder planes than the pipers. YMMV

Between the two planes you mention I'd agree with this, simply because it seems that the Aeroncas have more adverse yaw than the Cubs do. Flying the Champ will reinforce why we need to add rudder in a turn. In my opinion, the Cubs do not.

Recently bought into a Citabria, and was able to get my endorsement in just under 3 hours. Granted I'm not about to try any 15kt crosswinds anytime soon.

Around 10 hours at Red Stewart Airfield almost all in a Champ and also J-3 for a couple round and rounds when the Champ was down for maintenance. I felt comfortable at 5 hours but I just kept coming back because it was so much fun.

Cheers

Recently bought into a Citabria, and was able to get my endorsement in just under 3 hours. Granted I'm not about to try any 15kt crosswinds anytime soon.

Did you (and the other 3hr folks) have any other Tailwheel time?

I just haven't found any student to be ready for me to ink my name and numbers in their logs at 3hrs.

3 point, power on and off
2 point power on and off
Cross wind, at least to max demo
Go arounds
Tailwind landings
Stalls and falling leaf stalls, couple spins if approved
Hard and soft field ops.

I just don't know how you get that done in 3hrs.

Back