How long can a student pilot be a student pilot?

You are suggesting that a new student should already know what they are going to an instructor to learn.

No, I am suggesting that they should know what the instructor is writing in their logbook and medical/student pilot certificate, and why, there will be a test on the material after all. There's a difference between not knowing going in, and not learning along the process. That difference is called stupidity; ignorance = don't know, stupid = not learning= mentally lazy.

I was kinda fuzzy on what endorsements were required when I was flying as a student at first. I almost blew my first 90 day. I don't think it is atypical for a student to not know what an instructor is doing with a logbook.

Stinkbug will be along shortly threatening to call the FSDO.

Oh, did I say stinkbug? I meant warthog. I always get my ugly smelly critters confused. Sorry.

No, I am suggesting that they should know what the instructor is writing in their logbook and medical/student pilot certificate, and why, there will be a test on the material after all. There's a difference between not knowing going in, and not learning along the process. That difference is called stupidity; ignorance = don't know, stupid = not learning= mentally lazy.

Nah. It's called "not being concerned with the stupid trivial stuff that smaller minds get caught up worrying about".

I choose to concentrate on the bigger picture myself.

Don't let yourself get consumed with the minutiae, Henning.

Au contraire, mon frère.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_bad

You offered it, I accepted it, and it's too late to take it back now.

I see that you personally edited that wiki definition recently. Shame on you :nono:

"My bad" means "my mistake". It is not an apology but simply an admission that a mistake was made. I do occasionally make mistakes, it is true. But apologies? Never! That is a sign of weakness.

I do believe you owe me an apology however.

I see that you personally edited that wiki definition recently. Shame on you :nono:

"My bad" means "my mistake". It is not an apology but simply an admission that a mistake was made. I do occasionally make mistakes, it is true. But apologies? Never! That is a sign of weakness.

I do believe you owe me an apology however.
You're not even a good liar. Anyone can see that entry was last edited two months ago. Bye bye.:rolleyes2:

Nah. It's called "not being concerned with the stupid trivial stuff that smaller minds get caught up worrying about".

I choose to concentrate on the bigger picture myself.

Don't let yourself get consumed with the minutiae, Henning.

The minutiae is what makes the big picture. In order to sort through the trees of minutiae to get to the forest of the big picture, you have to have a clear understanding of the minutiae first. If you disregard information without understanding it, you become what we term "an idiot". What you are talking about is taking the Evelyn Woods Speed Piloting course. While the methodology of learning works for things like literature where an error due to skipping a critical detail of information that ties multiple factors together will just lead to confusion and rereading, that same error may pose fatal consequences .

Trust me, I'm a Big Picture person as well, I just process a lot more disparate information into my models, and I don't throw any of it out without first processing it to garner what truths can be found and how they affect 'The Big Picture.'

Anyone who looks at a piece of information and says, 'I don't need that' is a fool if he thinks that is what looking at 'The Big Picture' is all about. Being able to see 'The Big Picture' is about being able to produce more information into a cohesive mix than most, not being able to circumvent the consideration of minutia; that is just bluster and bull**** from a weak mind.

Last edited:

Oh, did I say stinkbug? I meant warthog. I always get my ugly smelly critters confused. Sorry.
And you wonder why people accuse you of being a troll?

I do occasionally make mistakes, it is true. But apologies? Never! That is a sign of weakness.

LOL. Good luck with your life as a career student pilot, and lonely single guy.

I was kinda fuzzy on what endorsements were required when I was flying as a student at first. I almost blew my first 90 day. I don't think it is atypical for a student to not know what an instructor is doing with a logbook.
Concur. And if the endorsement isn't right, they tend to go after the instructor first.

No, I am suggesting that they should know what the instructor is writing in their logbook and medical/student pilot certificate, and why, there will be a test on the material after all.
There is no test on Student Pilot endorsements for anyone other than a CFI. It's the instructor's responsibility to make the endorsements properly and ensure the Student Pilot understands at all points in training what his/her privileges and limitations are, not the Student Pilot's responsibility to know what endorsements will be required or how they should be worded.

The only eternal student I ever met lived on a farm strip in the prairie and had a CFI buddy who kept endorsing his logbook for years. When the student decided that he wanted to get into the spray business, he took his 3 hrs of test-prep did his private checkride and a couple of months later his limited commercial.

The only eternal student I ever met lived on a farm strip in the prairie and had a CFI buddy who kept endorsing his logbook for years. When the student decided that he wanted to get into the spray business, he took his 3 hrs of test-prep did his private checkride and a couple of months later his limited commercial.
Been a lot of years since the FAA (actually, the CAA, I think) gave out a "Limited Commercial". Or are you talking about a regular CP-Airplane with the "no passengers over 50nm" limitation on the ticket? The latter would be sufficient for crop-dusting.

Been a lot of years since the FAA (actually, the CAA, I think) gave out a "Limited Commercial". Or are you talking about a regular CP-Airplane with the "no passengers over 50nm" limitation on the ticket? The latter would be sufficient for crop-dusting.

The one without instrument ticket first. Only good for VFR airwork, aerial application, 91.147 scenic rides etc. Colloquially called 'limited commercial'.

Hi, Hocky,
I realize you are coming under attack. But, I request you not resort to name-calling. Here is a reference to the rules of conduct, which you may refer to when you think that someone has become personal or even a troll as defined by our rules: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_faq_rules_of_conduct

• Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.
  • Trolling is prohibited. Whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board, it is considered "trolling." The public posting of reputation comments received, which are considered by PoA to be personal and confidential, is considered ipso facto trolling. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run; it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

Oh look, the hall monitor showed up!

Has anyone noticed that it says "banned" under Hocky's User ID?
What is the difference between banned and suspended?

Has anyone noticed that it says "banned" under Hocky's User ID?
What is the difference between banned and suspended?

I dunno.
I noticed this morning that Hulk was suspended.

I am guessing suspended is temp and banned is perm :dunno:

I get Hocky (someone probably checked the IP with previous aliases) and his trolly behavior.

But Hulk? Unless something was deleted, in checking his recent posts I don't see anything to warrant suspension.

Who owns/runs this site anyway?

Well it's a well known fact sonny-jim that there's a secret society of the 5 wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentaverate who run everything in the world including the POA, & meet tri-annually in a secret country mansion in Colorado known as "The Meadows".

So who's in this Pentaverate?
The Queen, the Getty's, the Rothschilds, the Vatican & Colonel Sanders before he went tets up.

Ooh I hated the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face! Ohh you're gonna buy my chicken! Oohhh! ...He puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smart ass!

Ooh I hated the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face! Ohh you're gonna buy my chicken! Oohhh! ...He puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smart ass!

I'll give it away, the secret ingredients are sugar and salt.

I was 38. My instructor said little more than "hand me your logbook". I admit I read every endorsement and probably understood them, but I wasn't as in tune with what was required as a 10-15 hour student.

My experience was similar, in the "hand me your logbook" department. I was 23, by nature detail oriented and so forth, but when I started this business was completely foreign to me; my original CFI was not exactly forthcoming with info that didn't pertain to training that day. He seemed to cover what we needed to cover, and no more. Also never went to any training events / conferences, which I found odd. As I'm training to be a CFI, I now realize how much my CFI could've said but didn't (I plan to take a different route with my students).

The 'commission'.

(I think the official name is 'POA management council')
What, do they have guys with names that end in a vowel and make people offers they can't refuse?

Well it's a well known fact sonny-jim that there's a secret society of the 5 wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentaverate who run everything in the world including the POA, & meet tri-annually in a secret country mansion in Colorado known as "The Meadows".

The Queen, the Getty's, the Rothschilds, the Vatican & Colonel Sanders before he went tets up.

Yeah, I never liked that guy...

I'll give it away, the secret ingredients are sugar and salt.
Next you'll reveal that Chrysler's Fine Corinthian Leather is just Naugahyde.

I have the endorsements as a question on my presolo test. If they get it wrong, I explain it to them then. I also give them a copy of the FARs with the "interesting" ones highlighted so they don't have to read the whole thing to find it, which for someone new to aviation might take an excruciatingly long time.

Sport pilot must be different then PP for when I went to Oshkosh and received my student pilot certificate, they gave me a lot of info and I have heard none of it here.

I was told under no certain terms to let anyone tell me different. One thing I was told...This Sport pilot student certificate has now been extended to 5 yrs to allow you to get this SP certificate, do not let anyone push you to try and make you finish any sooner if you need the 5 yrs.

Tony

I get HoWho owns/runs this site anyway?
Originally, Chuck Haeberle. However, he formed the PoA Management Council, which is a group of masochists who donate their time, effort, and hair (pulled out and/or grayed) without compensation, and turned the operation over to them.

Last edited:
Originally, Chuck Haeberle. However, he formed the PoA Management Council, which is a group of masochists who donate their time, effort, and hair (pulled out and/or grayed) without compensation, and turned the operation over to them.

One doesn't need to join the PoA Management Council to be a masochist (or sadist) on this board. Surely you've noticed that, having been both a member of the cabal and just another poster.

Next you'll reveal that Chrysler's Fine Corinthian Leather is just Naugahyde.
seven%20seas%20185%20leather%20sofa.jpg

Dad?

Nauga,
and the dreaded comfy chair

HEED! Paper! Now! Run an' fetch the paper if ye can!

One of my top 5 movies of all time.

HEED! Paper! Now! Run an' fetch the paper if ye can!

One of my top 5 movies of all time.

Look at the size of that boy's head. It's like an orange on a toothpick

Back