kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, all,

I vaguely remember that runway stripes (like the threshold "big ol'" stripes, or the touchdown zone "triple stripes") are 100 feet long. I think this comes from a distant memory of my Commercial instructor telling me to aim for the beginning of the stripes and that the Commercial PTS requires the wheels to touch somewhere within the range of the stripes... But I'm trying to look this up, and can't find it. The AIM just says that they're spaced 500 feet apart (from each other, which I assume means the distance from the "approach end" of one to the "approach end" of the next one?). Are all stripes the same length, and if so, what is it? If this is look-up-able, surely someone here knows where?

Thx,

I don’t know about the stripes, but my simulator’s got a button that says “wet skidmarks”. I’m kind of afraid to press it, for fear of what it might do. :eek:

Thanks, all! I wonder what my Commercial instructor was smoking? (Or if I am just misremembering something?)

Instructors make up stuff all the time. Then it gets handed down to the next generation. Sometimes it’s just fun to see what you can get someone to believe.

Thanks, all! I wonder what my Commercial instructor was smoking? (Or if I am just misremembering something?)

A lot of GA training is done on runways that are less than 4200ft long. The aiming point markers are 100ft long for those runways. That's probably where it comes from.

Back