How Italians handle those parked illegally...

My favorite is at my local county lake boat launch there is a handicapped truck/trailer space in the lot.

I am sorry, if you are able bodied enough to launch a boat...

So in your world, if someone takes their disabled friend/dad/relative out fishing, they are expected to hoof it down to the ramp from the back gravel lot.

Nothing says that the person parking in the handicapped spot also has to launch the boat.

The only person with a right to get ****y about others parking in the handicapped spot is another disabled person.

Walked up to little kerfuffle in front of the medical office building a couple of years ago. Two side by side handicapped spots were occupied by cars without hang-tag or plates. A disabled vet with a conversion van with side-ramp had parked right behind the two and extended his wheelchair ramp onto the cross-hatched pad in between. While he went to his appointment, he left the van parked with the ramp extended. Of course, one of the hurried parkers (a rep) showed up and made a scene because he was boxed in. By the time the vet came out from his appointment, the boxed in guy was steaming and started yelling at him to move his van. I imagine the vet had heard worse in basic training and and continued loading his wheelchair keeping the boxed in guy on 'ignore'. Next thing a sheriffs deputy shows up and the boxed in guy started to plead his case. Deputy looked at the car, took out his ticket book and wrote a $150 citation for both tagless cars :thumbsup:

I don't park in handicap spaces but I don't get bothered or call out someone who does who apperas not to be handicapped. First, as many have stated you seldom really know the person's story. Second, I just don't care as it is not my place to play parking lot cop. They are not causing me any problems.

I grab whatever other parking space that I can whether it be close to the door or far out. The only time that I make a real effort to get close to the building and might even drive in circles for a couple minutes is when it is pouring down rain. Other times I figure that my fat ass could use the walk.

Or the restricted person stays in the car and the driver runs in. I realize there might be a reason for that but............

No handicapped person needs a reserved spot if they aren't going to even get out of the car, just park in the regular spots.

Usually what I see around here is the handicapped spots are only taken by the people with tags for them but the lazy able-bodied people just pull up to the curb (and the "courteous" ones put their flashers on :mad:)

I must admit however that I will use the handicap stall in the restroom even when another stall is open. So far no self righteous bathroom cop has accosted me.
:rofl:

I don't park in handicap spaces but I don't get bothered or call out someone who does who apperas not to be handicapped. First, as many have stated you seldom really know the person's story. Second, I just don't care as it is not my place to play parking lot cop. They are not causing me any problems.

I grab whatever other parking space that I can whether it be close to the door or far out. The only time that I make a real effort to get close to the building and might even drive in circles for a couple minutes is when it is pouring down rain. Other times I figure that my fat ass could use the walk.

Agreed. Although I believe there are far too many handicapped spaces in most places around here (because most of them are usually empty), and some of the people don't look disabled to me, they could have some non-obvious disability. It's not my place to make that determination.

I also don't understand people who feel that they have to park six feet from the door at a supermarket or shopping center when they're going to be walking more than a mile once they're inside. I've seen traffic jams in half-empty parking lots caused by people hovering near the "good" spots waiting for openings, despite there being open spots a mere 30 or 40 feet away.

Even more amusing were the early-morning gym patrons I used to laugh at when I had a fitness center in Great Neck as an account. I'd be leaving just as they were showing up, and they'd all be fighting over the closest parking spaces to the gym so they wouldn't have to walk too far to do their workouts. It was especially comical because the arguments got very heated, and most of the patrons were wealthy women driving luxury cars and wearing furs and other expensive clothes. Watching all those rich dames fighting over a handful of parking spaces in an otherwise-empty lot was always good for yuks.

On a related note, one of the supermarkets near me instituted "parents with small children" parking spaces a few months ago ago. Between the excessive number of empty handicapped spaces and the largely-empty "parents with small children" spaces, any unaccompanied adult was exiled to the farthest reaches of the parking lot.

It didn't last long, though. Pretty much everyone ignored the signs, and the local cops refused to even attempt to enforce the restriction. When a store employee told me I couldn't park in one of the spaces, I told him fine, I'd shop somewhere else, and left. Apparently others did the same because after about a month, the signs were taken down.

Rich

My favorite is at my local county lake boat launch there is a handicapped truck/trailer space in the lot.

I am sorry, if you are able bodied enough to launch a boat...

Ha...

My favorite is here in Jackson we have the famous Jackson Hole Mountain resort.. Probably the steepest and most challenging terrain to ski at in the country....

Right in front of the main complex and lifts /gondolas /tram entrance is a dozen handicapped spots...:mad2::mad2::rolleyes:

On a related note...

I once saw Metro Dade Fire respond to a house fire.

There was a Mercedes parked in front of the hydrant.

On general principle, they took a fire axe to both front windows and ran their hose through the car, rather than around it.

A bit extreme, maybe, but I'll bet it made an impression on the driver.

Me? I have a more direct way of dealing with it.

When able-bodied people get out of their car in a handicapped space, I just look them square in the eye and say...

"It must be mental, because you sure aren't physically handicapped."

I hope you're never wrong. Not all disabilities are visible nor permanent.

Ever try to walk 100 yards after a recent surgery?

Don't be a clod.

By the way, for the record, I do it quite seldom and only when I'm very confident that I've properly assessed the situation. I haven't been wrong yet and, if I ever am, I'll quit!

I don't see that happening soon though. :)

Ha...

My favorite is here in Jackson we have the famous Jackson Hole Mountain resort.. Probably the steepest and most challenging terrain to ski at in the country....

Right in front of the main complex and lifts /gondolas /tram entrance is a dozen handicapped spots...:mad2::mad2::rolleyes:

Here at Mammoth they are planning on building a big wounded warier facility. Disabled skiing is a big thing here.

No handicapped person needs a reserved spot if they aren't going to even get out of the car, just park in the regular spots.

Usually what I see around here is the handicapped spots are only taken by the people with tags for them but the lazy able-bodied people just pull up to the curb (and the "courteous" ones put their flashers on :mad:)

Yep, that was my point. And the curb parkers are worse especially if it's busy. Balls up everything.

For those that say they need to use the space how do you justify walking 10 times as far inside the store than the short distance between the handicapped spot and the entrance. Those spots should be for people who need the extra width to get a walker or wheelchair out not to give a shorter walk to the store.

Most stores have motorized carts.

Here at Mammoth they are planning on building a big wounded warier facility. Disabled skiing is a big thing here.

You might have missed my point..

If anyone is disabled enough to need a up front parking spot, but has the mobility to ski down the steepest slope in America, can surely pull themselves through the parking lot for another 50-100 feet to their vehicle.

I bet 99.999% of those disabled skiers would be too proud and embarressed to use a handicapped parking spot too..:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacht
For those that say they need to use the space how do you justify walking 10 times as far inside the store than the short distance between the handicapped spot and the entrance. Those spots should be for people who need the extra width to get a walker or wheelchair out not to give a shorter walk to the store.

Most stores have motorized carts.

Which make the fatties EVER fatter...:mad2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacht

Which make the fatties EVER fatter...:mad2:

Agreed, I have less sympathy for folks with disabilities they made themselves.

Ha...

What? A guy with a bum leg ain't allowed to hang out in the bar and pick up ski bunnies? :dunno:

:D

What? A guy with a bum leg ain't allowed to hang out in the bar and pick up ski bunnies? :dunno:

:D

Sympathy works in the late afternoon,,, if the ski bunnies have had a few strong " liquid courage" beverages.....

The real question is

1- Do they go back to his place ? Or hers?

2- Is he on top ? or the bottom ?...;):rolleyes:

In most states, a HP tag can be gotten if your child has a qualifying disability. Technically, if the disabled person is not with you, you're not supposed to use the tag. I'm quite certain there are a lot of people who use their tags illegally.
Building codes set the standards. Building inspectors enforce them. Like all parking spaces, x number of spaces needed based on the size of the building, type of business, expected number of employees. We've had retailers state customers won't walk more than 100 yards to go into a store. Parking near a door is mandatory.
A local grocery store was required to put in 100 spaces in the back of their building to accommodate space requirements. I have never seen anyone park there, employees included.

I recall a NASCAR event where cops were checking the cars parking in the handicap lot. They issued lots of tickets to people using placards that were not issued to them. It was good to see the enforcement.

I respect the handicapped spots. I do not, however, respect any other "reserved spot" except the "on call physician" parking since they might need to save a life.

Expectant Mothers
Employee of the month
Chaplain Only
Security Officer Only
Senior Officer
Command Sgt Major
Officer Parking Only

If you want to protect a spot, get a law passed. For the latter few, the UCMJ does not provide for such reservations, so they don't get them. I will respect the "uniformed service member only" parking as I know how hard it is to hit the BX/PX during a lunch break.

haha yeah……in a command that is mostly aviators, it amuses me to see the dozen spots directly in front of our hangar that are dedicated to "CPO, SCPO, Gunner, Sailor of the Quarter, Base Security, Flight Doc"……i.e. all the people who generally don't need immediate access to the hanger, and pay grade wise, don't rate it. I do honor the spots because I don't really mind walking another 100', but it is sometimes entertaining how invested in PR and "everyone gets a trophy" that our military is today. Discussion must have originally been something like "Have you spent a night behind the boat after a 7 hour combat mission?", "No? Oh you just spent 12 hour shifts playing Angry Birds in the comfort of your shop for all your deployments?", "ok you probably should have the reserved parking, not the guys who have actually done things."

I respect the handicapped spots. I do not, however, respect any other "reserved spot" except the "on call physician" parking since they might need to save a life.

Expectant Mothers
Employee of the month
Chaplain Only
Security Officer Only
Senior Officer
Command Sgt Major
Officer Parking Only

If you want to protect a spot, get a law passed. For the latter few, the UCMJ does not provide for such reservations, so they don't get them. I will respect the "uniformed service member only" parking as I know how hard it is to hit the BX/PX during a lunch break.

Last edited:

Expectant Mothers
Employee of the month
Chaplain Only
Security Officer Only
Senior Officer
Command Sgt Major
Officer Parking Only

The O club at HAFB used to have one reserved for "Any 2nd LT"

The O club at HAFB used to have one reserved for "Any 2nd LT"

Most bases I've been to have one of those. When I was an O-1, I thought it was awesome, and I still find it funny to this day……mainly because it is typically a better spot than the reserved general officer spot in the same lot. I know the one at Miramar was the closest to the door, as is the one in Pensacola if I remember correctly.

Expectant Mothers
Employee of the month
Chaplain Only
Security Officer Only
Senior Officer
Command Sgt Major
Officer Parking Only

Actually, it's my understanding, that if those parking places are on private property then they are perfectly legal. A private property owner has the right to restrict your use of his property any way he/she chooses (with a few exceptions like discrimination). If you park in the "expectant mother" space then your car can be towed because you're trespassing in an area that you've been politely asked not to trespass upon.

This may be another "state-by-state issue" but I'm confident that what I described above is correct for mine...state patrolmen friends described it to me this way.

Similarly, and again described by state patrolmen friends, if a business in my state has a "no concealed weapons" sign on the front door, I am not breaking the law by carrying my pistol as I enter. The law states where I can and can't carry and no individual citizen can override that.

However, if they happen to see my pistol, ask me to leave, and I refuse, then I'm breaking the law and can be arrested for trespassing. Not because I was carrying a pistol. The pistol now has nothing to do with it. Rather because when I was asked to leave and didn't I became a trespasser since, again, any private property owner can ask me to leave for any reason (with a few exceptions like discrimination).

I have gone to pickup bonafide disabled folks using their car and their tag, parking in the hc space...and always felt like I as about to 'get it', when I hopped out and strolled swiftly into the store to get the person.

I know exactly what you mean. Before we were married my now wife was in a severe car accident and broke her pelvis. When I would pull into the parking spot to pick her up, I would get dirty looks when I put up the handicapped placard in the window and went to go get her. People would see me get out and bounce up to the door. But they often didn't see me struggling to push her through the double doors where the automatic doors didn't work or were non-existent, on the way back to the car, trying to help her get into my car without re-injuring her, or fighting the wheel chair to get it into my small trunk after she was safely seated.

Is it really necessary to have eight or ten handicapped spots that are always empty at the front of every business?

The one that kills me are the "vehicle with child" at the grocery store. I ignore that ****.

Cross your legs or walk beeyatch! You need to lose weight anyhow.

I thought that, too. But when we really needed one, it was amazing how few I could find available so often. Too many doctors give them to people that don't really need them. Maybe its a "grass is always greener" kind of thing.

Where I play indoor soccer, there are something like 10 such spots which are always open. Funny. Not too many people that need a handicapped spot want to run around playing soccer. :dunno:

As far as the parent with child signs, I now use those, too. But I have a two year old. Too young to trust to walk in a parking lot, but now plenty heavy and squirmy. So, I now get that a little more than I used to.

The signs I completely ignore are the signs that are reserved for "fuel efficient vehicles." "Sure, my X5's fuel efficient." :rolleyes2:

Guy posts a humorous video and it turns into a typical POA pizzing match.

1291172.jpg

Actually, it's my understanding, that if those parking places are on private property then they are perfectly legal. A private property owner has the right to restrict your use of his property any way he/she chooses (with a few exceptions like discrimination). If you park in the "expectant mother" space then your car can be towed because you're trespassing in an area that you've been politely asked not to trespass upon.

This may be another "state-by-state issue" but I'm confident that what I described above is correct for mine...state patrolmen friends described it to me this way.

. . . .

Any sign the owner wants to post and any parking rule the owner wants to impose are legal on private property. Whether and how the rules will be enforced is another story. Around here, the police will enforce handicapped parking, hydrant, and fire zone laws in a private lot, but not any of the silly, home-made rules. Even out here in the boonies they have more important things to do with their time.

The parking lot owner could, of course, call a private tow truck to enforce the unrecognized parking rules. But towing away their customers' cars for violating made-up parking rules would be a less-than-wonderful customer-retention strategy; and unlike the case with handicapped, hydrant, or fire zone violations, they can't blame the cops because the cars will not have been ticketed.

Rich

...in a handicapped parking space:

https://www.facebook.com/videovirale/videos/1713415118886053/?

Me? I have a more direct way of dealing with it.

When able-bodied people get out of their car in a handicapped space, I just look them square in the eye and say...

"It must be mental, because you sure aren't physically handicapped."

What does it feel like going through life as an omniscient individual...must be interesting just looking at an individual and instantly knowing all of their maladies

What does it feel like going through life as an omniscient individual...must be interesting just looking at an individual and instantly knowing all of their maladies

You don't need to be omniscient to see if they have a handicap plate or permit.

You don't need to be omniscient to see if they have a handicap plate or permit.

This is true...but being confident enough to state, "It must be mental, because you sure aren't physically handicapped." sure takes a bit more...lets call it "talent"...than the regular person has...

I should state that I'm typing this under the assumption that whichever hypothetical person parked in the handicapped spot did have a valid placard; just no obvious and glaring handicaps.

This is true...but being confident enough to state, "It must be mental, because you sure aren't physically handicapped." sure takes a bit more...lets call it "talent"...than the regular person has...

I should state that I'm typing this under the assumption that whichever hypothetical person parked in the handicapped spot did have a valid placard; just no obvious and glaring handicaps.

My grandfather used to say the same thing, as have I after seeing there were no plates or permits a time or two - though it's been years since I have. Not that the person went back and moved their car. I'm thinking maybe I should carry baggies with me and a tire valve tool with me from now on, and remove the pins on two tires, place them in the baggie and slip under the windshield wiper for them with a note.

Back