How is everyone doing ?

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
October has been dreadful. Between waiting last minute in September to get corporate type data to me, then followed in October with the same scenario with personal returns coupled with payroll tax returns, finishing peer review paperwork, not to mention fieldwork for my June audits I've been working 12-14 hour days. Only break is POA. Had to cancel 3 flights as I felt I was too exhausted to fly safely. Now it's been over a month (September 28). Scheduled a flight tomorrow with an instructor to continue training and another flight on Sunday. Why did I let this happen? Hope everyone else is doing better.

Better double up on training. January-February is right around the corner and you may get a little busy then too:eek::yesnod:

I'm starting my ramp up for my busy season (Jan to March) buy buying a touch more inventory and getting them inputted to the system and dismantled.

Once Christmas is done and folks start getting their tax returns, they tend to spend money on their cars and trucks. Plus winter driving conditions create greater chances of collisions, which means more sales to the collision repair shops.

Oh, and I am definitely using this awesome October flying weather to get in lots of hours.

I'm missing out on most of my favorite time of year to fly for the second year in a row. Got up on a 20 minute test flight on Saturday following doing oil change and will do about the same on Sunday (so goes the plan), but had about a month since the previous flight. Been busy with work and ground vehicles.

Comes in fits and spurts. Mid September was great with going to SimCom with my friend in his T310R, and in a couple weeks I've got a real cross-country, plus were going to see the in-laws for Thanksgiving. Lots of flying. Also been able to poke at some things on the 310 and make improvements that help make the plane feel newer, which I like.

Loving life, just not flying as regularly as I used to. But it's fun to get nostalgic about the flying days and smile, thinking about the good parts but choosing to not focus on the bad parts. :)

Been down with illness since my wife surprised me with a quick trip to Vegas for my birthday. Finally almost over it. Thanks Southwest. LOL.

One airplane co-owner fighting with some medical stuff.

Airplane isn't flying enough.

Work turned into a political nightmare a couple of months ago and learned that IT staff member number nine has turned in their two week notice yesterday. I think that's half the department gone now.

Had to resign completely from all CAP duties just to survive the mess at work.

Let's see, what else?

Dad died.

Didn't go to OSH.

Spent the whole summer moving.

Didn't fly enough.

Fell out of Instrument currency. Even fell out of VFR currency at one point but fixed that. Probably not night current right now.

Watching career and a good company go down the toilet but not interested in changing jobs right now. Let 'em lay me off. I'll take a nice unemployment vacation.

Watched half the country continue to apologize for their professional liars in DC, and act like that's okay and normal adult behavior.

Pretty much 2013 blows big fat technicolor chunks.

Looking forward to handing out candy to the neighborhood kids on the hayride tonight. At least that kicks ass out here.

I may not fly again - at least probably not again this year. And I'm pretty sure that the FAA is not going to allow me back into a plane. I have a blood clot in my leg that is about the size of my hand above the knee. Not my palm, my hand. It also extends below the knee about 4 inches. That's the first one. I have a second one in the same leg that is about the size of my palm. The area above the knee, not only is covering an area the size of my hand, it's probably 1-1/2 to two times the thickness of my hand.

So the Comanche really needs to go.

Sorry to hear about these challenges, Ed.

Oh, by the way how much will you give me to remove the Comanche?

Could not be better,picking the aircraft up from annual in the AM . Flying weather looks good for the immediate future with a chance of rain late sat.afternoon. On another note sorry about your problems Ed.

I may not fly again - at least probably not again this year. And I'm pretty sure that the FAA is not going to allow me back into a plane. I have a blood clot in my leg that is about the size of my hand above the knee. Not my palm, my hand. It also extends below the knee about 4 inches. That's the first one. I have a second one in the same leg that is about the size of my palm. The area above the knee, not only is covering an area the size of my hand, it's probably 1-1/2 to two times the thickness of my hand.

Crap, Ed, that really bites.

Have any idea what caused these occurrences?

I'm doing well. Went for my longest cross-country ever a couple weeks ago, Kansas City to Santa Fe, NM (about 580 nm), in an Archer II. Planning on starting my complex training tomorrow in a Cessna 177 RG, to be followed later by instrument training. I'm starting to fly more often at night too (used to be afraid of the night).

Sorry to hear about these challenges, Ed.

Oh, by the way how much will you give me to remove the Comanche?

I already told him he could donate it to Cloud Nine and get a tax deduction.

Between work, wedding planing and the like I try to find some time to sleep

Awww man. That sucks Ed. I hate to say you're making me feel better about my year, so I'll just say I'll bring the 182 out sometime and you're welcome to fly it. We need to meet someday anyway. You're just too far East. ;)

OK I guess. Got my share in the 310 sold. Wife will definitely be retiring effective March 1. The 172 sale will be final next week. Heading to Maui for Thanksgiving to go house shopping. The next airplane will probably be a boat!!!

OK I guess. Got my share in the 310 sold. Wife will definitely be retiring effective March 1. The 172 sale will be final next week. Heading to Maui for Thanksgiving to go house shopping. The next airplane will probably be a boat!!!

You almost get free and then go and start looking at boats. See how you are? ;)

You almost get free and then go and start looking at boats. See how you are? ;)

Yeah.......hopeless. Just don't know how to justify a plane in Hawaii. Travel options are so limited there. Maybe I could talk the wife into passing on a house and getting a boat big enough to have a helipad??? Hmmmmmmmmmm :D

Yeah.......hopeless. Just don't know how to justify a plane in Hawaii. Travel options are so limited there. Maybe I could talk the wife into passing on a house and getting a boat big enough to have a helipad??? Hmmmmmmmmmm :D

Heh. If you've already justified Hawaii...

Fuel costs. Ugh. Boat or plane. Not cheap there.

Heh. If you've already justified Hawaii...

Fuel costs. Ugh. Boat or plane. Not cheap there.

Some things you just can't justify. We want this. We've scrimped and saved all our lives, endured Looooong separations while we pursued our separate careers. But through all this our plan to live an increased lifestyle through retirement is going to happen. We've got $35.95 saved up and some coupons...... :D

Some things you just can't justify. We want this. We've scrimped and saved all our lives, endured Looooong separations while we pursued our separate careers. But through all this our plan to live an increased lifestyle through retirement is going to happen. We've got $35.95 saved up and some coupons...... :D

Nicely done! :cheers: Congrats! :yes:

You can always work on the macadamia nut farms for a little extra cash! :lol:

Teach surfing? :eek:

Do fire dancing?

Awww man. That sucks Ed. I hate to say you're making me feel better about my year, so I'll just say I'll bring the 182 out sometime and you're welcome to fly it. We need to meet someday anyway. You're just too far East. ;)

Hitch a ride with Clark to 6Y9. :yes:

That is excellent and very nice to hear that you're going to get to reap the rewards of your hard work! :)

Ed, with submission of medical records, and time to demonstrate control of anti-coagulant treatment, most likely you could get an SI to fly again, depending, of course, on a complete review of your situation. PM me if you want.

Mark

Been down with illness since my wife surprised me with a quick trip to Vegas for my birthday. Finally almost over it. Thanks Southwest. LOL.

Work turned into a political nightmare a couple of months ago and learned that IT staff member number nine has turned in their two week notice yesterday. I think that's half the department gone now.

Let's see, what else?

Dad died.

Didn't go to OSH.

Didn't fly enough.

Fell out of Instrument currency. Even fell out of VFR currency at one point but fixed that. Probably not night current right now.

Watching career and a good company go down the toilet but not interested in changing jobs right now. Let 'em lay me off. I'll take a nice unemployment vacation.

Watched half the country continue to apologize for their professional liars in DC, and act like that's okay and normal adult behavior.

Looking forward to handing out candy to the neighborhood kids on the hayride tonight. At least that kicks ass out here.

Positive Psychology

Tell us the good things that have happened to you this year

October has been dreadful.
Mine's been in for annual. Found a crack in the rudder requiring replacement (which reinforces why we do annuals), plus a few other things.
Up to $4k so far.

Good news it'll be ready to fly Saturday..... It's only money, right?

Can't complain. Work (EMS) is always the same; sit around all day watching tv & internet. Our flight volume is up so it seems like more people are finding new ways of getting themselves hurt. Don't look forward to flying but don't like sitting around all day either...conflicting.

Personal GA flying wasn't the best this year. The only high was getting .8 dual in a TP-51C. Worth every penny. :) The lows this year were simply not getting out enough to fly and my IFR currency expiring. Glasair condition inspection cost way more than it should at $6,800. Velocity engine overhaul is still put off because I can't afford it right now. Went to only one air show and it stunk. Didn't go to OSH but making plans for Sun & Fun next year. Will finally have my aviation man cave completed that I have been working on all year.

Health is good. Still have 20/20, low blood pressure, cholesterol is good but could spare to lose a few pounds.

Ed, sorry to hear about the clots. I hope surgery goes well and you'll be back in the air soon.

Last edited:
I hate to say you're making me feel better about my year
He's even made me feel better about my year. Medical problems suck. But, on the bright side, I've had a 5-month vacation... so far.

Well, on October 1st we installed ane went live with SAP and someone forgot to interface it to the tax system (Vertex) and suddenly it became my problem. Me and the Sr. Tax guy have become good friends, I've taken him flying, met his wife (No I'm not kidding). He spends more time at my desk than I do.

Let me know if you want help with XI/PI ;)

Work (EMS) is always the same .. it seems like more people are finding new ways of getting themselves hurt.
In 12 years doing EMS, I realized that we would be a lot less busy of more people watched Road Runner cartoons growing up.

If they watched Wile E. Coyote, they would know to stay out of the road, not to cut the brach over their head (or the one they are sitting on), don't play with dynamite, stay away from the edge of the cliff, and NEVER buy anything from Acme.

Ed, sorry to here this. Hope things improve quickly for you. I still have good memories of your low pass leaving 6y9 on the Sunday after the fly in.

In 12 years doing EMS, I realized that we would be a lot less busy of more people watched Road Runner cartoons growing up.

If they watched Wile E. Coyote, they would know to stay out of the road, not to cut the brach over their head (or the one they are sitting on), don't play with dynamite, stay away from the edge of the cliff, and NEVER buy anything from Acme.

:lol::rofl:.............

Great post.....:thumbsup:

October has been dreadful. Between waiting last minute in September to get corporate type data to me, then followed in October with the same scenario with personal returns coupled with payroll tax returns, finishing peer review paperwork, not to mention fieldwork for my June audits I've been working 12-14 hour days. Only break is POA. Had to cancel 3 flights as I felt I was too exhausted to fly safely. Now it's been over a month (September 28). Scheduled a flight tomorrow with an instructor to continue training and another flight on Sunday. Why did I let this happen? Hope everyone else is doing better.

Wait, what? I thought us CPAs were supposed to work for 4 months and golf all summer. :dunno:

Work has been nuts. We let a partner go, and I assumed his practice in addition to my own. Lovely. I'll be over 3,000 hours this year.

I'm in the same boat. Just got my medical two weeks ago from the good Dr. Bruce, and I was utterly mortified to put down my flight hours in the last 6 months: 1.4 hours. :incazzato: And the previous 6 months weren't much better.

I even used to play this target game before I started flying called "golf." Last fall, I replaced my 30-year old clubs used in this game with new Pings, used them once last fall, and not once in 2013. WTF?

Good news? Of my 1.4 hours, 0.3 hours were spent in the left seat of Aluminum Overcast! :happydance: So I can proudly say that 100% of my multi engine AND tail wheel time in my logbook were in a B-17. :D

Wait, what? I thought us CPAs were supposed to work for 4 months and golf all summer. :dunno:

Work has been nuts. We let a partner go, and I assumed his practice in addition to my own. Lovely. I'll be over 3,000 hours this year.

I'm in the same boat. Just got my medical two weeks ago from the good Dr. Bruce, and I was utterly mortified to put down my flight hours in the last 6 months: 1.4 hours. :incazzato: And the previous 6 months weren't much better.

I even used to play this target game before I started flying called "golf." Last fall, I replaced my 30-year old clubs used in this game with new Pings, used them once last fall, and not once in 2013. WTF?

Good news? Of my 1.4 hours, 0.3 hours were spent in the left seat of Aluminum Overcast! :happydance: So I can proudly say that 100% of my multi engine AND tail wheel time in my logbook were in a B-17. :D
I have always wanted to do aluminum overcast!

Art, I know you don't need to be told this, but you need your own airplane. Talk to Ed Fred. He wants to sell. The airplane is right.

I have always wanted to do aluminum overcast!

Art, I know you don't need to be told this, but you need your own airplane. Talk to Ed Fred. He wants to sell. The airplane is right.

We flew right over you, Doc! EAA was repositioning her from Waukesha to Springfield.

30,000 ft. over Germany, or 4,500 MSL over Central Illinois? :dunno:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
Sorry to hear of those with tough times. October was particularly good for me as the weather here in Colorado was often spectacularly good. So good, that I just had to go to the airport and fly several times even when I hadn't intended to do so. Two examples:

I got to fly the Champ from Meadow Lake (Colorado Springs) to Scottsbluff, Ne., have lunch with my parents, then back in the Luscombe the same day for 5.3 hours.

A day of Young Eagles counted for another 2.7 hours over 6 flights and a day that may be one of the finest airport days ever. I got to the airport early to put a little heat on the engine, but the hangar was already warm so my first flight launched at sun rise. Four Young Eagle flights should have filled my card for the day but sometimes you just can't quit so soon. Another solo sight-seeing flight had to be done. I wish I had words to convey the joy I experienced that day. If you have ever seen a Colorado autumn clear blue sky, you know, you know.

Scott

Sorry to hear Ed. Best wishes to get well soon

Let's see, what else?

Dad died.

Didn't go to OSH.

Didn't fly enough.

Sorry to hear Nate. Best wishes for a better 2014.

What line of work are you in?

Back