How is Dr Bruce to help with medical?

obelix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
obelix
One word. "SAINT".

I had the pleasure of working with Bruce Chien for my 3rd class medical, as well as completing my medical with him this morning.

After my experience and my research on the subject I believe if there is a way to get your medical, he has the answer. In my case, it wasn't "real bad", but it was bad enough I knew I should seek help rather than suffer a begrudging process between an unknown AME and the FAA. He gave me the exact steps I needed to do and what documentation the FAA needed to satisfy the regulations.

Took me 4 months and a good bit of documentation mining. It's worth the satisfaction of knowing it was dealt with accurately..

My take away of Dr. Bruce after working with him over the past few months and meeting him in person today is that there are very few people in this world that truly strive to do what they love and help people along the way. If you have the pleasure of working with him on your medical and meeting him in person you will know what I mean and it's easy to tell along the way that he is as genuine of a spirit as there is.

I know Dr. Bruce doesn't visit the blue board, but I figured I'd let everyone know about my first hand experience with him. Thanks Ron Levy for getting a green pea like me in touch. I'm still learning as I go..

If I every meet him outside of a patient/doctor relationship, I'm buying him whatever dinner or lunch he wants..

Enough about that... Can't wait to solo!!!

Last edited:
*Yawn*... Yet another fan of the Good Doctor.

Not talking you down in the least... but most of us here know that. Bruce is a gem!

-Skip

I know Dr. Bruce doesn't visit the blue board...

Sigh.

Did you know that Bruce was one of the founders of Pilots of America?

Yep, his DNA is all over this place.

And yes, he's the real deal.

Glad he was able to help you. :yes:

One must remember that the good Dr. left here due to his low tolerance for arguing with fools.

the rest of us, not so much.

I think it was when someone claimed that he had a pecuniary interest after he spent a lot of time offering free advice here.

I think it was when someone claimed that he had a pecuniary interest after he spent a lot of time offering free advice here.

Isn't that what I said? who ever said that was certainly a fool.

I just wish there was a guy that interested in helping teach sheet metal repairs, reverse engineering and owner produced parts and small on-off formed replacement parts.

I just wish there was a guy that interested in helping teach sheet metal repairs, reverse engineering and owner produced parts and small on-off formed replacement parts.
The Doc Bruce of A&P IAs. That would be helpful.

Guy like that on Beech Talk. Even wrote a book on the older Bos. Sometimes people argue with him - often they are proven wrong. Still not sure why he puts up with us youngsters...

Dr. Bruce will save your medical when nobody else can. IF you never lie, and do EXACTLY what he says.

He's not Dr Welby, he won't pat you head and give you a lollipop, but he'll do ten times the work that you pay for if you are 100% honest with him, and if you carefully do exactly what he says to do.

Dr. Bruce will save your medical when nobody else can. IF you never lie, and do EXACTLY what he says.

He's not Dr Welby, he won't pat you head and give you a lollipop, but he'll do ten times the work that you pay for if you are 100% honest with him, and if you carefully do exactly what he says to do.

Just like you said. He worked with me after hours and on weekends. I've never had any doctor do that. I paid him but looking back at the number of times and the amount of time I engaged him I don't think he nearly charges enough. Which brings me back to my point that he loves helping people. My personal opinion is the small amount he does charge is to weed out the riff raff..

One word. "SAINT".

I had the pleasure of working with Bruce Chien for my 3rd class medical, as well as completing my medical with him this morning.

After my experience and my research on the subject I believe if there is a way to get your medical, he has the answer. In my case, it wasn't "real bad", but it was bad enough I knew I should seek help rather than suffer a begrudging process between an unknown AME and the FAA. He gave me the exact steps I needed to do and what documentation the FAA needed to satisfy the regulations.

Took me 4 months and a good bit of documentation mining. It's worth the satisfaction of knowing it was dealt with accurately..

My take away of Dr. Bruce after working with him over the past few months and meeting him in person today is that there are very few people in this world that truly strive to do what they love and help people along the way. If you have the pleasure of working with him on your medical and meeting him in person you will know what I mean and it's easy to tell along the way that he is as genuine of a spirit as there is.

I know Dr. Bruce doesn't visit the blue board, but I figured I'd let everyone know about my first hand experience with him. Thanks Ron Levy for getting a green pea like me in touch. I'm still learning as I go..

If I every meet him outside of a patient/doctor relationship, I'm buying him whatever dinner or lunch he wants..

Enough about that... Can't wait to solo!!!

I haven't gone to him for a medical yet as I have no such issues that require his expertise, but I did have the pleasure of meeting him for dinner. Really nice guy.

One must remember that the good Dr. left here due to his low tolerance for arguing with fools.

the rest of us, not so much.

Yeah, fools like me that think his theories on cancer screening were not only absurd, they were downright dangerous. Most morons with no better knowledge just jumped on my back in support of his ridiculous advice.
Here's the result of that crappy advice from your beloved:
Prostate cancer affects approximately one in seven men, according to the American Cancer Society.

But a new study shows that there has been a significant drop in the number of new diagnoses. The author of the study suggests that a controversial recommendation from a government task force may be behind that decline.

Chairman of the Department of Urology and Chief of Robotic Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital Dr. David Samadi shared his valuable perspective on this "alarming" study.

Dr. Samadi explained that in 2011, the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) began discouraging the use of prostate-specific antigen-based screenings for prostate cancer.

He said that resulted in less testing, which resulted in a reduction in detections of intermediate and high-risk prostate cancer.

"This is a huge mistake," Dr. Samadi said. "This is a curable disease. It's a silent killer. There are no symptoms. So, men out there, go out there and get tested and talk to your doctors about this. Don't ignore this."

Yeah, fools like me that think his theories on cancer screening were not only absurd, they were downright dangerous. Most morons with no better knowledge just jumped on my back in support of his ridiculous advice.
Here's the result of that crappy advice from your beloved:
Prostate cancer affects approximately one in seven men, according to the American Cancer Society.

But a new study shows that there has been a significant drop in the number of new diagnoses. The author of the study suggests that a controversial recommendation from a government task force may be behind that decline.

Chairman of the Department of Urology and Chief of Robotic Surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital Dr. David Samadi shared his valuable perspective on this "alarming" study.

Dr. Samadi explained that in 2011, the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) began discouraging the use of prostate-specific antigen-based screenings for prostate cancer.

He said that resulted in less testing, which resulted in a reduction in detections of intermediate and high-risk prostate cancer.

"This is a huge mistake," Dr. Samadi said. "This is a curable disease. It's a silent killer. There are no symptoms. So, men out there, go out there and get tested and talk to your doctors about this. Don't ignore this."
Was Bruce actually opposed to prostrate cancer screening?

We all die of something. In retrospect, my father wished he had never had the surgery, and at this point with the grace of hindsight, prostate cancer would have been kinder. You can't cheat death, period.

Along the lines of that research paper the tobacco companies wrote showing tobacco was a net saver of a countries money, killed people mostly right after they quit working. Think of all the money we'd save if we outlawed prostate cancer screening.

If he was, he was correct - prostrate cancer needs no screening. ;)

Prostate cancer, on the other hand...

But it was not due to arguments over medical advice that he left. Rather, iirc someone accused him obliquely of having a financial conflict of interest regarding 3rd class medical reform.

If I were Bruce, I would have been hopping mad at that too. Considering his nuanced position on the issue, it's an easy, cheap shot accusation to make - and hard to defend yourself against even if there's no truth to it (and AFAIC there is not a shred of evidence to support it).

CDC and other federal agencies follow the prostate cancer screening recommendations set forth by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, which recommends against prostate specific antigen (PSA)-based screening for men who do not have symptoms. Other organizations, like the American Urological Association, the American Cancer Society, and the American College of Physicians may have other recommendations. Talk to your doctor.
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/prostate/basic_info/get-screened.htm

There is no question that screening can help find many prostate cancers early, but there are still questions about whether this saves lives. There are clearly both pros and cons to the prostate cancer screening tests in use today.

At this time, the American Cancer Society (ACS) recommends that men thinking about having prostate cancer screening should make informed decisions based on available information, discussion with their doctor, and their own views on the benefits and side effects of prostate cancer screening and treatment.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-detection

Last edited:
My PCP made it my choice after he had attended a couple continuing ed conferences. The claims presented to him were that not one life had been saved by a PSA. I find that a little hard to believe to be honest, but it does sound like without symptoms is just a PITA, (pun intended).

Most men over 65 die with some level prostate cancer, few die of it.

Quote from a non medical know-it-all that claims his status from sitting behind an autopilot for hours on end telling himself that makes an experienced pilot... right!

Tell that nonsense to the many that die of it and stick to watching Otto. Your contribution here is useless.

Yes. He bought into the stupid crap put out by the govt. through their lackies. Kind of the same crap helmet guy promotes that doesn't help at all but promotes his know it all position on this forum. His only claim to fame I suppose....

So, let me get this straight, most doctors, the CDC, the American Cancer Society etc. agree that perhaps you should think about it before you run out to get screened. One doctor who makes about 8 million a year doing surgery says it's a great its a great idea to get screened. Sounds legit.

As it seems Gary F. has too. A real shame and loss that Gary is no longer contributing.

I don't think that is quite true. This has been discussed here many times. He may have said that, but Bruce wanted complete control of discussion and he couldn't get that here. It is somewhat ironic that he is active on the Red Board when he was one of the biggest AOPA haters here before he left.

As has been said before, I think Bruce Chen is a great asset to the aviation community and if I ever needed assistance with an aviation medical, I would not hesitate to contact him.

That said, I do not miss "Internet Bruce".

That said, I do not miss "Internet Bruce".

Bruce is without a doubt the most delightful person you'll ever spend time with at a fly-in. That said, I doubt that anyone can honestly say that he didn't start more online fights here than he defending himself from.

It's amazing how different a person's online persona can from their in-person persona. He's not the only one...it's prevalent. I haven't met anyone from here yet who I didn't enjoy spending time with in person. That's why I (and Ed and some others) feel that it's so important for people here to attend the fly-ins...at least occasionally...you get to meet the real person and put their online persona into context.

I still say people should be limited to 100 posts (or whatever) until they attend a fly-in.

Bruce is without a doubt the most delightful person you'll ever spend time with at a fly-in. That said, I doubt that anyone can honestly say that he didn't start more online fights here than he defending himself from.
I certainly wouldn't argue with either of those sentences!
It's amazing how different a person's online persona can from their in-person persona. He's not the only one...it's prevalent. I haven't met anyone from here yet who I didn't enjoy spending time with in person. That's why I (and Ed and some others) feel that it's so important for people here to attend the fly-ins...at least occasionally...you get to meet the real person and put their online persona into context.
So true. Though the reverse is true as well - there are quite a few people who are pretty much EXACTLY like their online persona. But Bruce is one of those who is SO different in person that I have a hard time reconciling the two images of him. Many things he says online, even the implied tone in some of his posts, I just can't imagine him using in person. The only thing the two Bruces have in common is that they're both obviously VERY intelligent.
I still say people should be limited to 100 posts (or whatever) until they attend a fly-in.
Oooh - that would start a fight or two! :rofl:

[snip]

[response to a suggestion of 100 post limit until a fly-in attended:]

Oooh - that would start a fight or two! :rofl:

Yes, but they wouldn't last long. Just a few hundred posts...:D

As it seems Gary F. has too. A real shame and loss that Gary is no longer contributing.

Perhaps a solution would be to make this an aero-medical thread only. Ya know, related to actual FAA medical issuance questions and answered only by real docs.

There's plenty of other places we can get real (and crackpot theory) general medical info all over da Interwebz. Why clutter this joint up with that stuff?

How about killing the medical section. Leave a sticky sending people off to the holy truth..

Perhaps a solution would be to make this an aero-medical thread only. Ya know, related to actual FAA medical issuance questions and answered only by real docs.
If the ground rules were questions by members and answers by Bruce ONLY, that might work. Answers and followups by anyone else prohibited by the forum rules. Anything else and Bruce has to use his judgement when deleting posts or closing a thread, and that always leads to trouble.

The Red Board medical section is NOT an improvement over this forum imo. Discussion is allowed but Bruce shuts most of it down anyway, and he is often very rude and insulting to OPs with questions who don't grok his sometimes cryptic replies. If they're anonymous, that goes double.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back