How involved in flying is your spouse / Significant other?

How involved in flying is your spouse / Significant other?

• Total voters
My wife wants to like/love it, but she gets motion sick real easy. If it wasn't for that she'd be all in. But she does fly with me and just takes a dramamine before flight. We have never been on a long trip yet, so when she flies with me we normally go in the evening when it is smooth.

My wife will fly with me if we're going somewhere that interests her. If I'm going to the airport to do T&Gs to maintain currency, no way is she interested. When we're flying on a XC she has the sectional in her lap and GPS couldn't do a better job of knowing where we are.

My wife enjoys being involved in the real time game plan (not pre-takeoff planning), helping spot traffic, and working the radios. She loves traveling via our plane but isn't a fan of busy fly-ins. She generally stays up front and involved but occasionally will crawl in the back to sleep or read. She's excited to be getting an IFD540 in front of her so we don't fight over the view/range on the 550. That all said, she has zero desire to become a pilot. That works out well for me because I'd hate to have to play paper/rock/scissors to see who gets left seat. :)
Kinda funny....

My wife enjoys long trip pre-takeoff planning but is just now warming up to tablets vs sectionals. I swear she just wants a KX155 with VOR and she's happy. Ironically, even though she flew commercially she IS NOT a fan of working the radios so I often do that when right seat. She enjoys the travel but is happiest just flying around. She loves busy fly-ins. The only time she sits in back is when the dog is riding along. We haven't gotten in a fight over left seat...but....there have been a few "misunderstandings" :) Somehow I always get stuck buying the fuel.

I have no problem with my wife getting way into photography, and I enjoy it when she shows me stunning pictures of the places we've been, but I could care less about the latest lens, camera body, and I think she's missing out on a certain chunk of actually living by toting that stupid picture box around. (She occasionally has me help her judge the light or hold a lens cap to get me involved, but once I dropped a cap onto the beach, to her chagrin) I still have no interest in looking at certain shots she'll have set up, and I'm happy exploring and looking at things on my own to form my own memories while she cusses at some animal that didn't keep still. I have no interest in photography culture and when she starts chatting with another idiot with a $2000 camera, I leave the area promptly. She always wishes I were more interested, but I have a lot of people who I know who think cameras are a scourge on travel and leisure, and people with cameras are just the worst, most cringe-worthy thing that can walk into a room. She's glad I support her habit and don't throw her out, and I'm glad she's spending her own money on that crap.

I've been curious if mine is less common view and where others may fall on the photography interest scale.

(just flipping the table around) :D

What's this "Does she like flying?"

I am the man. She does what I say, and when.

lol, ducking and running!

Mine is a nervous flyer. No joyrides, she will go only if there is a destination involved. No flying at night and she prefers to see the ground. She would prefer to fly commercial.

She also complains about the cost. And the fact that when we do go somewhere we have to watch the weather.

Mine is very comfortable in the plane, if it weren’t for medical issues she’d probably want to get her license but just for bragging rights, not because it’s a passion.

I did make her nervous in the plane for the first time ever yesterday though. We flew from Tampa to Nashville and I ran a tank dry to have all the remaining fuel in one tank. She really didn’t like that. I’ve got it down to where I can switch when the fuel flow starts dropping and the engine doesn’t even cough, so she was ok after, but thinking about it made her nervous.

That's great. I don't know you or your wife, but I might suggest you see if you can get her to take some lessons from a (different) CFI. That just often seems to go better than teaching your wife.

Oh yeah, I teach her shooting stuff too, and that never seems to go as planned either!

My wife enjoys being involved in the real time game plan (not pre-takeoff planning), helping spot traffic, and working the radios. She loves traveling via our plane but isn't a fan of busy fly-ins. She generally stays up front and involved but occasionally will crawl in the back to sleep or read. She's excited to be getting an IFD540 in front of her so we don't fight over the view/range on the 550. That all said, she has zero desire to become a pilot. That works out well for me because I'd hate to have to play paper/rock/scissors to see who gets left seat. :)
Your wife also has a natural comfort on the radio given her career. To be honest I'm not necessarily a fan of the bee hive of traffic at many flyins either it only takes one knuckle head.

Last edited:
Mine is very comfortable in the plane, if it weren’t for medical issues she’d probably want to get her license but just for bragging rights, not because it’s a passion.

I did make her nervous in the plane for the first time ever yesterday though. We flew from Tampa to Nashville and I ran a tank dry to have all the remaining fuel in one tank. She really didn’t like that. I’ve got it down to where I can switch when the fuel flow starts dropping and the engine doesn’t even cough, so she was ok after, but thinking about it made her nervous.

I've only freaked my wife out twice in the plane, but generally she is pretty good. First time was just after I got my PPL and tried to call Millville Radio to open a flight plan. When I couldn't raise them I was annoyed and just muttered the F bomb to which she thought something was really wrong. ( I no longer curse in the plane) and Second, when I was trying to climb through some large cummulus clouds late morning one hot July day, to get on top, and we were getting bounced pretty good. I don't think it was the IMC I think it was the bouncing IN IMC as she said to me " Make it not be white outside" to which I replied " It doesn't work that way".

Back