How high have you flown in a low HP plane.

1.38 : 13.8K in 100hp Cessna C150 with portable ox - took a long time to get there

was on Flight Following 45 miles from destination airport. ATC called up and told me they were NOT going to clear me into the Bravo and to please quit goofing around up there - I was trying for 14K, but conceded to their request.

I wonder what was the % HP the O200A was really making at that altitude ? The plane felt like it had a weedwhacker engine pulling it ....
What is 1.38 ?

13,500 in a 41 Taylorcraft with 65 HP clearing the 11K + mount Taylor in New Mexico on the way to Albuquerque. Early morning flying and no thermals required. Launched at Holbrook AZ and climbed all the way there slowly.....then power back a bit, speed up and into 4AC which isn't there anymore.

Frank

7,000' in a J-3 Cub two years ago on a 90°F summer day. She didn't climb so good up there. :wink2:

IMG_2682_zpsc0315f33.jpg

13,500 in a 41 Taylorcraft with 65 HP clearing the 11K + mount Taylor in New Mexico on the way to Albuquerque. Early morning flying and no thermals required. Launched at Holbrook AZ and climbed all the way there slowly.....then power back a bit, speed up and into 4AC which isn't there anymore.

Frank

Wow! :eek:

30000' in a sailplane near Minden NV.
Who needs an engine.

Back