How high can you fly a kitten?

Bravo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bravo
I am picking up a kitten saturday and would like to go higher around 14000' , would this be a health issue for a small kitten in an upressurized aircraft?

I am picking up a kitten saturday and would like to go higher around 14000' , would this be a health issue for a small kitten in an upressurized aircraft?

Not particularly, but you don't want to stay up there for too long. If it starts throwing up, that's a sign you need to feed them some O2 or get down. You can also hold it in your lap petting it and put a cannula or hose blowing in its face at least occasionally to help the situation; but if you're just up and over ing a ridge line then back to 12,500', I wouldn't be concerned, it'll just sleep it off. If you can climb real hard to that 16,000, you'll explode all t's fleas before getting home. A hard climb to 12,500' actually typically does it.

Last edited:
I hope that thing isnt infested with fleas. :) , I was hoping to be above/at 14000' for a couple hours. Overflying lake erie and there is a chance I may need to get over some icing at some point along the way as well.

I hope that thing isnt infested with fleas. :) , I was hoping to be above/at 14000' for a couple hours. Overflying lake erie and there is a chance I may need to get over some icing at some point along the way as well.

Bring a spare cannula or hose and give it some. If it is was a full grown cat I wouldn't be concerned, but with a kitten you stand the chance of making it even more neurotic...:lol: If you have it in a small kennel and cover it well with a couple liters of O2 flow, that should be fine as well.

I wouldn't spend much time at 14k with a kitten. Typically I set 12k as my limit for animals.

Also remember about descent, cat's ears are constructed the same as ours. Start descent way out and keep it as shallow as you can, and if it starts howling, climb till it shuts up. With kittens and puppies sometimes you have to rub them on the ear and jaw on decent. This is why even though it's not really safe, I usually ride animal up front with me or at least loose so I can call them. Usually if they don't have a runny nose you won't have a problem though.

Last edited:
Ok, guess I will just keep that leg around 10k to be safe. Not looking to cause any harm. Thanks for the feed back.

Ok, guess I will just keep that leg around 10k to be safe. Not looking to cause any harm. Thanks for the feed back.

That would be best, but if it means hauling ice, just feed it some O2, the ice brings it greater hazard.

That kitten will eventually turn into a cat. Fly as high as you want.

:D

Whatever u do, don't put the pusseh on a pedestal.

They love it.

BpcEuMzCQAEXhvk.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl: One time our vet called me to ask, he didn't know **** all about altitudes limits for hypoxia, he's not a pilot and knew I was (my ex worked for him).

Than maybe you should get a different vet...

Henning, can you explain your exploding-flea idea?

Their shell doesn't bleed pressure very well, since they have a hard shell exoskeleton, if you can climb faster than they can bleed pressure, they explode. When you get on the ground you can comb out all the split flea shells.

Uptight aren't we. I own a cat and care about his well being.

You call it uptight, I call it vile. For some people their pets are truly one of the family. I don't think someone here would joke about hanging their three year old son. Yes, my pets are family to me. I just erased a bunch of stuff because it sounded too personal for this forum, and many probably wouldn't understand. But, I will end with this... In the last 10 years I lost both my parents and a 15 year old cat we had since he was a kitten. Guess which was the hardest to deal with..??

I'll get off my soap box now and say no more about it.

You call it uptight, I call it vile. For some people their pets are truly one of the family. I don't think someone here would joke about hanging their three year old son. Yes, my pets are family to me. I just erased a bunch of stuff because it sounded too personal for this forum, and many probably wouldn't understand. But, I will end with this... In the last 10 years I lost both my parents and a 15 year old cat we had since he was a kitten. Guess which was the hardest to deal with..??

Ok I understand :yes:

Keep the climbing and descending to 500FPM (cabin altitude), this will present as much of an issue with ICE as anything else...

In general and if there is no mitigating health issue, typical domestic animals tolerate altitude much like humans do.
The biggest problems people have with flying animals is overheating, getting chilled, dehydrated, thinking they will help an animal my tranquilizing it (never do so).
I asked about the kitten's age because their eyes/ears do not open until 10 days and it got me to wondering about the ear canal seal, but I think that would not be a problem either.

Exploding fleas. I attempted to counter this concept 10 years ago to the month, right here on POA. Since then I still have never seen one iota of evidence that fleas explode at altitude and continue to strongly question this idea. In fact a search online just now reveals only one site discussing it.....and it is the link I posted 2 sentences ago! So I guess it was on the internet and must be true. Sigh.

In general and if there is no mitigating health issue, typical domestic animals tolerate altitude much like humans do.
The biggest problems people have with flying animals is overheating, getting chilled, dehydrated, thinking they will help an animal my tranquilizing it (never do so).
I asked about the kitten's age because their eyes/ears do not open until 10 days and it got me to wondering about the ear canal seal, but I think that would not be a problem either.

Exploding fleas. I attempted to counter this concept 10 years ago to the month, right here on POA. Since then I still have never seen one iota of evidence that fleas explode at altitude and continue to strongly question this idea. In fact a search online just now reveals only one site discussing it.....and it is the link I posted 2 sentences ago! So I guess it was on the internet and must be true. Sigh.

First time I noticed was when an ex GF pointed it out on her dog after taking her flying across the mountains. You have to climb hard for it, it may need a twin to get the ROC required.

You call it uptight, I call it vile. For some people their pets are truly one of the family. But, I will end with this... In the last 10 years I lost both my parents and a 15 year old cat we had since he was a kitten. Guess which was the hardest to deal with..??

Enjoy the melodramatic much?
I, too, love and honor my family, including my dogs and cat and goats and llama.......but, really, be realistic....none of us expect to outlive our parents or pets. Be prepared for it. It's going to happen. Part of life is death.

I find that kittens don't have anywhere near enough thrust to make it to 14000.

Mine can make it to 6 or 7 AGL.

Sounds like someone needs a pet tortoise with a 150 year life span.

Kritch I have read over several times what you wrote. First and foremost I accept and defend your right to feel about animals in any way you choose. But, (there is always a but). Many, myself included, would consider it vile and disgusting that you would equate human life and animal life. Many of us believe that human life is above all other forms of life. To equate hanging a cat out the window to hanging a human child out the window is very disturbing to those of us with a belief system that acknowledges a supreme being and that humans are created in the image of God. I understand that your belief system MAY be completely different.

I feel much harm has sprung from the lowering of human worth to that of common animals (that is a different discussion). In fairness, I consider myself an animal lover. I am the old man that puts out feed for the birds and squirrels in the neighborhood. Have owned several dogs as pets that I was quite fond of. It would never occur to many of us to equate the fondness for a pet as equal or in your case superior to that of our parents. I am sorry but, I find that offensive.

However it is important that we understand that we have different belief systems. Your elevation of animals above humans is your right and I do not attack you if you don't attack me for feeling different.

My point is there is more than one side to this and I did find the JOKE about the tethered cat funny. If someone ACTUALLY advocated that then my take would be different. My $.02

Kritch I have read over several times what you wrote. First and foremost I accept and defend your right to feel about animals in any way you choose. But, (there is always a but). Many, myself included, would consider it vile and disgusting that you would equate human life and animal life. Many of us believe that human life is above all other forms of life. To equate hanging a cat out the window to hanging a human child out the window is very disturbing to those of us with a belief system that acknowledges a supreme being and that humans are created in the image of God. I understand that your belief system MAY be completely different.

I feel much harm has sprung from the lowering of human worth to that of common animals (that is a different discussion). In fairness, I consider myself an animal lover. I am the old man that puts out feed for the birds and squirrels in the neighborhood. Have owned several dogs as pets that I was quite fond of. It would never occur to many of us to equate the fondness for a pet as equal or in your case superior to that of our parents. I am sorry but, I find that offensive.

However it is important that we understand that we have different belief systems. Your elevation of animals above humans is your right and I do not attack you if you don't attack me for feeling different.

My point is there is more than one side to this and I did find the JOKE about the tethered cat funny. If someone ACTUALLY advocated that then my take would be different. My $.02

Agreed, I was floored by the reaction. Clearly it was in jest.

I assumed the suggestion included some form of harness or crate rather than a noose at the end of the rope.

Yes cat in harness. I was thinking a wing suit but the cat could adjust his AOA and actually fly higher then you tethered to a rope behind the plane.

Back