How far is your hangar?

10 minutes to the RV and 20 minutes to the club planes. No highways, just rural roads.

I would move my RV to the other airport for the extra FBO services, but I pay so little for its spot that I'd be crazy to move it.

House-Snow.JPG

Taken during a rare NC snow storm. The photographer is standing in the middle of the runway. THere's a taxiway that passes about where the footsteps are (about 10 feet beyond the retaining walls around the hangar ramp). Don't even need to go outside to get to the plane. The windows on the front there go to the master bath and my office. I sit at my desk and look out at the runway and remember I'm retired so I can go fly anytime...
That is nice!

Someday... I'll keep dreaming until then.

My parents live on the edge of the runway, but I don't own an airplane yet. When I do, though, I'll have free parking! :D

15 min to the airport where the hangar is, $250mo

About a 20 second walk down to the water where I keep the plane occasional infront of the house.

House-Snow.JPG

Taken during a rare NC snow storm. The photographer is standing in the middle of the runway. THere's a taxiway that passes about where the footsteps are (about 10 feet beyond the retaining walls around the hangar ramp). Don't even need to go outside to get to the plane. The windows on the front there go to the master bath and my office. I sit at my desk and look out at the runway and remember I'm retired so I can go fly anytime...

Well done sir!

Yes, definitely prairie style was the intent. My wife drew a floorplan and gave it to the architect and said "we like Frank Lloyd Wright" and this is what he came up with.

We lost our only airport in the county in 1980, ten minute drive. Been in a metal hanger since 1983 in 20V along with my sons in another hanger. We built a hanger there in 2003. It's 45 miles and around 35-40 minutes on mountain roads and good weather. You will spend a half day flying for an hour when living that far. The plus is light traffic and mountain views to die for.
Ron

House-Snow.JPG

I knew there was a reason I didn't like you.
;)

Closest airport is about 12 minutes, I am under the pattern as well. The one I am currently flying out of is 45 minutes away, I think I would fly more if I could use the closer place.

Yes, definitely prairie style was the intent. My wife drew a floorplan and gave it to the architect and said "we like Frank Lloyd Wright" and this is what he came up with.

Yup. I grew up near Chicago and still have a farm near (and frequently fly over) Taliesin. Well done!

Margy and I effectively honeymooned in Wisconsin after Oshkosh the year we got married. We flew into Madison (ahead of some real severe t-storms) and rented a car and went to Taliesen as well as Racine (Wingspread and Johnson Wax), various places in Madison and then down to Oak Park and Chicago and back.

We've also spent time taking to Eric Lloyd Wright (FLW's grandson) and Neil Levine (who worked with FLW) and Meryle Secrest, who wrote one of the definitive biographies.

Ok... I asked because I was frustrated by the long distances to my hangar but I had an offer in on a home in Brookeridge airpark in Chicago that just got accepted. Woohoo! :). Pics to come once it closes. Anyone want a hangar in Waukegan? :)

We drive approximately 20 minutes to the airport. There is another airport about 2 minutes closer, but there is always something going on and 'our' airport has a very active EAA chapter. That's why we chose to rent a hangar there, even though hangars are slightly more expensive. We haven't regretted our choice yet... :)

Less than ten minutes and I finally got a box hangar with it's own head, call me Caitlyn or whatever but the old head that served ten T slips was always nasty. That and more room for a car and a boat along with man cave stuff makes the $650 rent worth it.

You'd think pilots and/or guests would have better aim and not be nasty mother****ers leaving it unflushed and paper towels thrown on the floor and other BS.

Too many people always **** things up.

Currently ~400 miles but I'm working to fix that.

Nauga,
and a looooong taxi

I'm kinda lucky in having my hangar maybe 75 ft from my back door at home. It's a decent runway, lotta room at 4000'x100' or so, but the downside is, it's a grass strip. We've been getting lots of rain in the Houston area, so my flying is cut back a bit while waiting for the strip to dry out, grrr. On top of that, all the rain makes the grass grow, so it seems like I'm always mowing. But, I have a really nice hangar, much better than the rental crap I've been in...

Less than ten minutes and I finally got a box hangar with it's own head, call me Caitlyn or whatever but the old head that served ten T slips was always nasty. That and more room for a car and a boat along with man cave stuff makes the $650 rent worth it.

You'd think pilots and/or guests would have better aim and not be nasty mother****ers leaving it unflushed and paper towels thrown on the floor and other BS.

Hey..... I thought that was you ****ing all over the seat??? LOL!

@ 10 minutes and $165 per month. I'm still renting while looking for a plane. There is a waiting list for a hangar, I'm on it and maybe when my name comes up that will prompt me to pull the trigger. I keep using the excuse that I don't want to tie down on the ramp.

I am partners in a 60' x 60'...it is 15 minutes from work and 1 hour from the house. It is on a Class C airport.

I just bought 7 acres less than a block from the airport to move my business.

I have an airport 12 minutes away. But I hangar my plane in another city 30 minutes away. The closest airport to me has covered slips for what I pay for my electric bifolding door hangar. I value the hangar high as I keep stuff in it and it's secured so to me a 30 minute drive is no problem. Yeah it can get annoying for sure but I love my hangar and the cost... $125 for t hangar or $125 for a covered slip....t hangar everytime!

I live under the approach path for IAD. I kept the plane there for several years but hangars aren't practically available. I moved to VKX (until 9/11), then OKV, and then to CJR.

We recently moved about 2 miles farther from the airport. I complained mildly but my wife likes the new house so that's all that matters. I still make it to the airport in about 15 minutes. It takes a little longer to get to the hangar from the gate and pull the plane out. Now that the near runway is under construction, preflight and taxi to the far runway takes another 15 minutes. So, it's about an hour from house to heaven.

15 min to the airport where the hangar is, $250mo

About a 20 second walk down to the water where I keep the plane occasional infront of the house.

What do you have?

No hanger, but it's 30mn from home and 45mn from work
I'm in the fly more if closer club as well

1/4 mile straight line (across the runway) :) 4 minutes coat-on to coat-off going around the runway. :cool:

Five minutes from one hangar, fifteen minutes from the second, and 35 minutes from the third. The farthest hangar is the nicest but at the airport I like the least.

1.92 miles as the crow flies. About 5 min. Lowest T-hangar rent I've ever heard of, not in the greatest shape, but it's indoors and private. No fuel on field either. I haul my fuel from the gas station down the street. No creature comforts/conveniences, but my yearly rate is close to many peoples' monthly, so I dig it.

I would hate to have to drive more than half an hour. I would speculate that I would fly quite a bit less.

10 minutes, but hangars are expensive here in south Florida. $700.

That there redefines "carpet bombing."

Im about 20-25 minutes away

Back