How far from the ocean must a plane be hangared to avoid corrosion?

As I mentioned, get a good look at the hangar it has been kept in. That is almost more important than the location itself. Like I was saying....I wouldn't rule out a SMO based airplane just because it was near the water.

Exactly.

We live, and hangar, on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. It doesn't get more "salty" than THAT -- yet we have no corrosion. Why?

1. Hangar Condition. Our island hangar is built like a giant piece of furniture -- it's all wood construction. As a result, there is no condensation on cool metal surfaces, like there always was at our other hangars. Thus, the plane is bone dry in there.

2. Proper care. We clean the plane and prop after each flight. All leading edges receive a coat of spray/wipe wax after every flight.

3. Anti-corrosion coatings. I keep all bare metal surfaces and control surfaces coated with an anti-corrosion lubricant.

We've only been here two years, but at the annual no corrosion was found. This is the sort of thing you should be looking for in a plane.

900 miles, according to University of Washington.
Smell of Salt Air Surprisingly Detected a Mile High and 900 Miles Inland

And yes, they use the term "salt air" too!

"Now, in a surprise, researchers have found that this chemistry thought to be restricted to sea spray occurs at similar rates in air above Boulder, Colo., nearly 900 miles away from any ocean. What's more, local air quality measurements taken in a number of national parks across the United States imply similar conditions in or near other non-coastal metropolitan areas."

The fact is that if you park your plane near the coast, salt is in the air and it will coat your plane.
I think it depends on the location.

My plane is currently tied down outside at MYF...about 6 nm from the ocean and I have never seen any kind of salt on the plane.

Now, I have seen light surface corrosion on some of the rental planes where the paint has failed and left bare aluminum exposed, but never any actual salt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:nono:

I don't think I care for the direction this thread has taken.

You know, I haven't spent a lot of time on POA in the last year or so, but returned some lately. I don't think I care for the direction this whole SITE has taken.

No, that's salt spray or airborne precip. If I spit on you, it's not spit air. If you wonder through a swarm of bees and get stung, it's not the result of bee air. If you get salt spray on your car, it's not salt air.
Yes, it is spray or mist. It is also salt air.

If you eat a sausage on a bun with mustard and relish, you have not actually eaten a high temperature canine, but you have eaten a hot dog. It's called an idiomatic expression.

And there is nothing wrong with a keltec

There surely is, but those that believe otherwise are probably the same ones cheap enough to use WD40 to "corrosion proof" their aircraft.

The fact is that if you park your plane near the coast, salt is in the air and it will coat your plane.

Perhaps you've got a dark cloud following you around, but that's most definitely not the case. Perhaps in a few areas, but not in most. In fact, I spend a lot of time near the water, and parking in coastal areas, and salt on the aircraft isn't an issue, even in locations where the airport is surrounded by ocean.

It's not a "fact," then, that aircraft will get coated with salt when parked near the ocean. You might see that in some places, but not in most.

900 miles, according to University of Washington

And at that distance, with rare excetion, you've entered the northern states and many of them treat their roads with liquid salt (brine) and that stuff drifts for miles too.

So, I guess that answer is, in North America, you can't go far enough???

Back