How far do you drive to fly?

5 minutes from home to the airport where I do all my flight instruction and some of my personal flying.

30 minutes from home to the airport where I keep my Flybaby. It's half the cost per month for a hangar there and I like the atmosphere better. I never fly the Flybaby with the intent of saving time so the drive doesn't bother me.

The only real problem is the tool I need is never where I need it....

Have 3 GA airports within 40 minutes, but only one that rents aircraft which is about 25 minutes. Haven't seen any flying clubs advertised anywhere, or else I'd probably be a member.

I drive 38 miles through some fun, hilly and winding rural roads to the airport where I hangar Miss Piggy. It usually takes about 45 minutes unless it's a nice day and I have a wild hair to have fun in my little sports car on the way.:) Then it's down to about 30 to 35 minutes.

5 minutes from home to the airport where I do all my flight instruction and some of my personal flying.

30 minutes from home to the airport where I keep my Flybaby. It's half the cost per month for a hangar there and I like the atmosphere better. I never fly the Flybaby with the intent of saving time so the drive doesn't bother me.

The only real problem is the tool I need is never where I need it....

I FULLY understand that!

I FULLY understand that!

I finally quit bringing tools between locations. Basically I have my garage, a hangar at one airport, and a hangar at another airport. Now I just rebuy what I need if a location doesn't have it because teh amount of time I spent running all over hell and the gas I spent doing it wasn't worth it.

about 45 minutes in moderate traffic - kinda sucks but hangars a 1/2 the cost of closer airports which are 20 to 30 minutes away

Ditto. But I'm not complaining because my twice-daily commute before I retired (thru Dallas traffic) was even worse, with no orgasm at the end. ;)

My Airplane airport is about 15 min, my glider club is about 40min.

From Alexandria, VA to Stafford (RMN), about 40 miles. I-95 on any afternoon? Sometimes over 2 hours. Just last week it took me close to 3 hours to get to the plane for a 1 hour flight to North Carolina. Almost need a helicopter to get to the plane! But then you got this whole FRZ thing...

This is what i was thinking time wise. I'd hate to get stuck on 66/495 and turn the 1:30 hr drive back into 3 or more.

I've been thinking about the "transition" after primary training on how i might get away from the hobbs school rate to a club tach rate. I'd love to find a DA40 based club out of khef or kjyo since that seems to be the natural next step transition out of the 20.

I'm based at an uncontrolled field about 25 minutes from home. There's a class D towered field about 10 min away, but it's lots more expensive to hangar there (if you can even get one).

I like the folks and prefer the vibe at the smaller field, anyway.

Looking at KGAI flying club post in classifieds has gotten me wondering.

How far do some of you drive to get to your airport of choice?
Is travel for training different than travel for your own flying?

Disclaimer: I'm right in the middle between KJYO and KHEF. So I have two GA airports within 30 minutes, each having at least 3 rental/school companies(2 companies have locations at both airports, so its closer to 4 unique entities). As I only have 15 hours towards my primary, I don't have much experience to know what the rest of the country is like.

My brother in law and sister in law live in Lansdown!

I'm about 20 minutes from KFCI either from home or the office--so it's a perfect place to fly from for me.

Currently, 40 mins to the airport where I rent. In the process of purchasing a 182 that is in a hanger about 1.5 miles from the house. Can't wait!

Until the new hangars are finished, 20 minutes at the nearby airport.

Once I get into something in town, about 4 minutes.

Love the atmosphere and hangar rent at my airport - 45 min drive.

The commute definitely hampers my flight time. I'd move the plane closer to home, but I'm not quite at the point where I'm willing to pay twice as much for the convenience and less than half the ambiance.

KTCY is 40 minutes from my house, but KMOD is only 20 minutes away. Unfortunately, their only flight school went belly up last year.

5 mins to airfield I will base at when I buy. 20 mins to the airfield where I'm a club member.

PAJN - Juneau, AK only one airport in town. 7 miles, 10 minutes. $400.00+ a month to rent a space in a hanger or $40.00 a month for tie down. $80,000.00 for a T-hanger to buy plus monthly fees to airport. I'm outside till I strike it rich. Still happy with what I have.

PAJN - Juneau, AK only one airport in town. 7 miles, 10 minutes. $400.00+ a month to rent a space in a hanger or $40.00 a month for tie down. $80,000.00 for a T-hanger to buy plus monthly fees to airport. I'm outside till I strike it rich. Still happy with what I have.

Holy chit! $720/yr for a t-hangar here.

2.8 miles / 7 minutes to my hangar. :)

Was 35 miles/40 minutes when I was a student pilot.

4.3 miles to drive, about 7 minutes unless the roads are icy, or 0.9 as the crow flies.

Forty-five minutes to KSAF from the northern end of Albuquerque. It used to take me just over an hour, one-way, until I moved closer to I-25.

It's 30 min from my house to hangar at KODO.

Main airport, KMAF, a class C, is closer, but hangar space is 3x over Odessa's cost and Midland's has a long wait list.

If history holds, the oil price crash (by far our major product) will knock out the wait list for hangar space closer to home - KMDD is 10 min away from my house.

I'm about 5 miles from my local airport. Was thinking about getting back into taildragger flying, and that'll take me to an airport that's a little further away at 15 miles. Still not a big deal, though.

Depends, School buses, and log trucks, about 30 min. None of that, about 15-20.

I just moved my airplane to its new home base at KCEF. My hangar is less than a mile from my front door :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3.7 miles from home
3.7 miles from work (home office) :)

Interesting that reading this thread the average drive to the airport seems much shorter than what I am always trying to surmount when I go somewhere on a trip. I suppose it's just because I notice it more when I don't know for sure where transportation is coming from.

Back