How does Youtube work

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I went to youtube.com. Never done that before. I've seen hundreds of youtube videos by clicking on links that take me there, but never went directly to youtube.com. I was thinking it would be nice to subscribe to those who take the time to make some very cool videos. I recently found out you get rewarded for subscriptions. So I try to do it and found out I have to sign up so I start doing that. They want my email and I don't want to give that so I click the get an email button, make a name and password and click Next. Now they want my phone number. I don't want to give it to them. Is there another way to suscribe? Am I being over worried about my phone number. I'm thinking just because I'm not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get my number and I'll start getting more junk calls/texts.

The phone number is just to verify your email, basically just a form of verifying that you are who you say you are, there’s no spam.

If you just subscribe to other peoples channels, you do not get any kind of reward. I believe what you’re thinking of is YouTube Monetization which is how various YouTuber’s get paid for their content by having a lot of subscribers, views and likes on their videos.

—you as a viewer do not get rewarded unfortunately.

They want my email and I don't want to give that so I click the get an email button, make a name and password and click Next. Now they want my phone number. I don't want to give it to them. Is there another way to suscribe?

You do need to create an account to subscribe. If you don't want to give them your real email, just create a gmail account and use that.

If you're worried about that and serious about setting up an account, just like you can create an email address at will so you don't compromise the one you primarily use, you can buy a cheapie prepaid cell phone and use that as your phone number for all the sites that want such.

If you're worried about that and serious about setting up an account, just like you can create an email address at will so you don't compromise the one you primarily use, you can buy a cheapie prepaid cell phone and use that as your phone number for all the sites that want such.

Another alternative is get a Google voice number for free

Another alternative is get a Google voice number for free
That requires a forwarding number (i.e. a real phone number).

However, you can always borrow one for the initial sign-up (work, friend, etc).

That requires a forwarding number (i.e. a real phone number).

Actually no it doesn't, except that signing up may ask for a phone number during the registration process (I've had an account so long I don't remember). You don't have to forward your Google Voice number to anything, you can make and take calls via the app or with a computer.

Hmm. Not a bad idea.

You can just create a free Gmail account and use that as your login for your Youtube.

You just need a valid email for account confirmation (which is free through Gmail). All of the rest of the info can be totally bogus if you wish if it is a required field.

Youtube is one of those that will not spam you, so no worries there.

You can just create a free Gmail account and use that as your login for your Youtube.

You just need a valid email for account confirmation (which is free through Gmail). All of the rest of the info can be totally bogus if you wish if it is a required field.

Youtube is one of those that will not spam you, so no worries there.

Yeah that is right, come to think. I have a gmail account. I can use it to log in to Youtube.

Actually no it doesn't, except that signing up may ask for a phone number during the registration process (I've had an account so long I don't remember). You don't have to forward your Google Voice number to anything, you can make and take calls via the app or with a computer.
I just tried it a few months ago. You can get a Google Voice account without a forwarding number. But I was not able to get a Google Voice number without a forwarding number.

However, I was not required to keep the forwarding number. Once they verified it and gave me the GV number, I removed the forwarding number.

Back