How does Foreflight work?

Then I'll be the dissenting voice. ;) Typically, when flying from the Flint area back to home base (VLL) at night, I'll file and receive RV PISTN as the expected route. But as often as not, when I call up, I'll get RV direct or even just direct.

What happens if you just file direct VLL?

That's what I do -- I'm /G. Okay I see the problem... &!$% missing comma. Should have been "I'll file, and receive RV PISTN..." or even better, "I'll file IFR, and receive RV PISTN..."

Then I'll be the dissenting voice. ;) Typically, when flying from the Flint area back to home base (VLL) at night, I'll file and receive RV PISTN as the expected route. But as often as not, when I call up, I'll get RV direct or even just direct.
I don't think I'd ever complain about receiving "Direct" no matter what I filed. :yes:

The problem others have experienced, a complex last-second change when calling for the clearance (we're not talking about what happens once in the air; at that point all bets are off) is where the problem comes in. I don't doubt that in busy airspace that can happen, maybe even with some regularity.

I don't think I'd ever complain about receiving "Direct" no matter what I filed. :yes:
Heh, no kidding. But my point was, the expected route clearance is not 100% reliable. If it's not reliable, it can just as easily happen that you are advised to expect direct and then given a clearance requiring some extra fiddling on the GPS. That's happened to me as well, though it's (so far) not been anything too circuitous.

It must be the same data as that printed on the progress strip in the tower because I have yet to receive a clearance from clearance delivery that differs from the FF alert.

Sadly I have had the opposite experience. I know what routes work on a particular flight I commonly do IFR, and usually my "expected clearance" will match what I file. However I almost always get a variation when I call Clearance, usually keeping me on V airways longer. I haven't been able to find a combination where I can file and get what I'm told to expect.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I downloaded foreflight to my iPad and was curious what it will really do for me. I messed with making a flight plan a little bit but that's about it.

How does it get inflight weather? Do I have to have a cell service plan? Anyone have a basic once over of how it works and what it will do?

One question I have is if it is considered an EFB or do I have to carry my bag of plates as well.

What will it do for you? Many things - See below.

How does it get weather? Pre-flight, through the Internet, via WiFi or if you have a cellular-capable iPad and a data plan, through the cell connection. In-flight, you'll need additional hardware. The most common is the Stratus, which works with ADS-B to give you free in-flight weather. Other options require both hardware and a $ubscription to XM weather and are thus much less popular.

You do not have to have a cell service plan. There are basically three levels of hardware and service you can get:

1) WiFi-only iPad. This will not even have built-in GPS, but you can either buy a hardware GPS unit to plug in, or use the aforementioned Stratus receiver which does both GPS and ADS-B for inflight traffic and weather. You'll only be able to get weather on the ground if you have internet access via WiFi.

2) Cellular-enabled iPad with no data plan. This will be just like (1) except you will have a built-in GPS rather than needing an external one.

3) Cellular-enabled iPad with a data plan. This will have the built-in GPS as well as allowing you to get weather information and download charts when you're not within range of a WiFi hotspot.

If you're flying Part 91 like most of us, yes it is an EFB and can legally replace your paper charts, plates, and A/FD. If you're flying 121 or 135, your company will need to get its use approved by the FAA. IIRC, ForeFlight on the iPad has been approved for quite a few 135 operators and at least one 121.

What will it do for you?

1) To start with, it'll give you up-to-date charts, plates, and information for less money than keeping a single A/FD, a single sectional, a single low enroute, and a single book of approach plates current.

2) It'll give you easy situational awareness by showing you where you are on the chart. If you get the Pro subscription, you'll also get georeferenced approach plates and be able to see where you are on the plate.

3) It'll allow you to easily plan a flight, file the flight plan, get a weather briefing, and give you all the information you need for the flight both prior to and during the flight.

4) MUCH more. I'm only scratching the surface to give you the basics here. Start by doing the things I've listed, and you'll find that there are tons of other features - Sending the flight to an electronic logbook, visualizing the terrain and obstructions along your route, automatically displaying the airport diagram after you land, finding cheap fuel stops, and hundreds upon hundreds of other features.

Enjoy!

If you have a smartphone you can set it up as a mobile hotspot and then connect (wirelessly) the iPad to the phone and get on-board weather anywhere you have a data connection on your phone.

You need an external GPS receiver to use it as a moving map GPS.

Neither one of these assertions is really correct.

While your phone may show that it has service in the air, it's almost never usable, and certainly not reliable enough to use for an in-flight weather source. It would work fine on the ground, though.

Also, if you have a cellular-capable iPad, it has an internal GPS and you do not need an external one. You only need an external if you "cheap out" and get the WiFi-only iPad. You'll spend nearly the price difference on an external GPS! If you plan on getting a Stratus to get in-flight weather, it has a built-in WAAS GPS as well.

Kent

Thank you for that! Really helps me out.

The plane I just bought has a 430W and a 496 panel mounted. The previous owner has XM on it.

Does it make sense to have the XM in the panel and a Stratus on the iPad or is that just over kill?

Kent

The plane I just bought has a 430W and a 496 panel mounted. The previous owner has XM on it.

Does it make sense to have the XM in the panel and a Stratus on the iPad or is that just over kill?

The XM and ADS-B are similar products. The radar images are not real time, there is a delay. The big difference is you pay for the XM product and ADS-B is free.

A positive for XM is that you will get weather on the ground and need to be airborne for the ADS-B to receive updates. This of course would be a moot point if you cellular or WiFi access on the ground and can pull the weather radar to the app.

Sent using Tapatalk

Kent

Nice... Our latest club plane, an R182(RG) has a 430W+496 in the panel as well.

Marauder pretty much nailed it. The XM radar picture is nicer-looking and can be had on the ground without an Internet connection of any sort, but it co$t$ money.

Personally, I have a cellular-enabled iPad so I can get weather via the Internet while on the ground and I'll deal with the somewhat blocky radar picture to save money. While it may not be attractive, it's plenty high enough resolution to stay out of the bad stuff.

Foreflight is a very nice user interface. I used it for a year and then tried WingX Pro. Similar product, not as elegant but I got used to it and enjoyed it.

If you want to go totally free, but are willing to lose the GPS positional awareness/moving map, download the FLTPLAN app for iPad. You can make flight plans on it, file IFR/VFR, download and store charts and plates, etc. All free. NO annual subscription. You can also setup your flight plans online and, while your I-device is on cell or wifi, sync them up so your plan will show on the device.

What it lacks is the GPS coupling so, while you are getting all the navigation charts you don't have a "live" position. But if you have a panel GPS, it's a nice alternative to save some money on an annual subscription you pay for Foreflight, WingX and Garmin.

When you are in ForeFlight you can setup your DUATS access with CSC to obtain an FAA briefing. In ForeFlight, when you set up your flight plan route, you can obtain a briefing for this route that includes your plane's N number. In addition, you can create and file a VFR or IFR flight plan. Give me a couple of minutes and I will show you screen shots.

As part of gaining QICP certification back when it existed, ForeFlight had to build the systems to log and retain briefings.

QICP is gone, but ForeFlight kept the logging - so even if you haven't entered DUATS credentials into the app, ForeFlight will keep a record of your briefings. You can't access those records yourself, but if you ever need to you can contact ForeFlight (team@foreflight.com) and they'll be able to provide that info to the FAA.

Thanks!
I checked mine and it says More>Accounts>Account Logins>Foreflight (which has my email and password) and it also has CSC Duats: Sign In
When I go to Sign In, there is no access code nor a pw so I suspect my briefings are not FAA-legal yet. I must set up the CSC Duats.

So it looks like it is possible to receive "non-FAA-acceptable" briefings like I am from FF.

Unless someone can point out something missed.
Glad to finally get an answer to this.

ForeFlight currently uses DUATS to provide the briefing information when you request it from the File&Brief page or when you file a flightplan. This is an official FAA source. If you don't have a DUATS account, ForeFlight still gets the briefing from DUATS.

If you setup the DUATS account data, then your DUATS account will be used for filing domestic flightplans. All ICAO flightplans are handled by Lockheed Martin (LMCO). LMCO offers additional function not available from DUATS in that you can amend or cancel an IFR flightplan and Activate, Amend, and Close a VFR flightplan. I used to have ForeFlight setup using my DUATS account, but recently deleted it so that all flightplans ICAO or Domestic, IFR or VFR would have the LMCO features.

There are some other nice features using LMCO. You can file a flightplan with a date/time up to 27 days into the future and you can amend an IFR flightplan as long as the departure time is more than 30 minutes from now.

If for some reason, the LMCO system is down and you don't have a DUATS account, ForeFlight will use its own DUATS account as a backup.

Is there a w&b portion? I can seem to find one if there is... Also, I want to input my fuel load so as to show fuel left as I fly as a back up. Couldn't seem to find that sub menu either.

The XM and ADS-B are similar products. The radar images are not real time, there is a delay. The big difference is you pay for the XM product and ADS-B is free.

A positive for XM is that you will get weather on the ground and need to be airborne for the ADS-B to receive updates. This of course would be a moot point if you cellular or WiFi access on the ground and can pull the weather radar to the app.
I get ADS-B weather on the ground most places including in front of my hangar at 8NC8, Nexrad and METARS. I don't know why. I didn't expect it.

I have the Navworx transceiver.

I've had XM and ADS-B. I prefer XM on the Gn96 but free beats it. You just need one or the other, not both in my opinion.

I get ADS-B weather on the ground most places including in front of my hangar at 8NC8, Nexrad and METARS. I don't know why. I didn't expect it.

I have the Navworx transceiver.

I've had XM and ADS-B. I prefer XM on the Gn96 but free beats it. You just need one or the other, not both in my opinion.

Bill -- are you by chance in hilly terrain? I once picked up an ADS-B signal in my truck driving through the hills of PA.

Never mind, just looked up your location. Wonder where the transmitters are in your area? Wasn't John Collins mapping them?

Is there a w&b portion? I can seem to find one if there is... Also, I want to input my fuel load so as to show fuel left as I fly as a back up. Couldn't seem to find that sub menu either.

None that I am aware of. I use Aviation W&B app. Search for it on the App Store. Works great.

No W&B..... checkout Aviation W&B in the app store.

As for fuel, that's incorporated into the the flight planning. When you setup your aircraft you input your hourly fuel burn. That is reflected in the gallons burned for each leg in the NavLog.

Cool. I'll look at the app and when I go up on Sat, I'll see how this thing works.

Back