How does Delta work

Nope, went to gate, was politely told there were 9 on standby. Proceeded to nearby bar.

It’s called dynamic pricing.

I’ve started using the same strategy at my clinic. On pretty flying days the charge of my office visit / exam is higher. The objective is to either generate more revenue or go flying more. Either is nice.

Nope, went to gate, was politely told there were 9 on standby. Proceeded to nearby bar.

On a trip a while back late Thursday my Friday customer appointment cancelled on me, and the company didn't want to pay the change fee to get me back Thursday night instead of Friday night. Boss says, looks like you have a free day.

Sleep in late Friday morning, nice workout in the hotel gym, a swim in the pool, and late big breakfast. Nice walk in a lakeside park then Thai for lunch. Afternoon? Hit the go cart track for a few races, then an early dinner on the way to the airport. When life gives you lemons........

I don't get it. If it is the same type aircraft on the same point A to B route, then why is one flight cheap and the other expensive?

Supply and demand; Economics 101.

More people want to go home on Sunday afternoon than Sunday morning, to get more of their vacation in at their vacation spot. There are only so many seats on that plane. Sunday afternoon seat prices are higher than Sunday morning seat prices; for shorter domestic flights.

The one that really irritated me was on our flight to Scotland a couple of years ago. There was no direct flight to Scotland from Atlanta. :confused: So, we had to connect somewhere. The prices seemed to be too high. Checking on the east coast the prices were much cheaper. Then I checked flights from Atlanta to the east coast. Hmm, those weren't bad either. Then I checked the same two flights that made up the trip from Atlanta to Edinburgh through Newark. What!? The two separate flights combined were something like $400 cheaper than the flight booked as one ticket. They were the EXACT same flights. Same airline, same day, same times, same flight numbers. Around a $400 per person difference in price.

Yeah, I bought two round trip tickets for each of us. One Atlanta-Newark, one Newark-Edinburgh.

There were five of us traveling; one went earlier for study abroad, but same thing. That was $2,000 difference. That pays for a lot of vacation fun.

Then the airline didn't want to check the bags thru to Edinburgh from Atlanta. :mad: I stood there for almost an hour politely chewing up time from two people until they did print tags to go to Edinburgh for us, so we wouldn't have to run and recheck the bags in Newark. I wore them down. :cool: In the end they had to get someone in Houston to print the tags on the printer in Atlanta to do it. Drove my youngest nuts as she kept worrying that we'd be late and miss our flight; we had plenty of time. Ended up not being an issue as the plane in Newark was late, so we would have had tons of time, but we at least avoided the hassle. They were better about tagging the bags to Atlanta from Edinburgh. We had to grab them momentarily in Newark for customs, but they were ready to go back on the belt to go to Atlanta.

Really irks me that the airlines changed policy to grab more dollars this way. They used to easily print tags for your whole flight for separate reservations. Even the people at the Atlanta counter said, "we used to be able to do this".

Both Delta flights this week, I booked “Comfort+” on a 757-200 with reserved seats in row 20. They were changed to row 18 (the dreaded short row next to the toilet and mid-cabin service door). They should discount those seats rather than charge people extra.

I had a good laugh on Delta about a year or two ago, after I quit traveling as much and my status expired. I was done early and arrived at the airport, went to the gate of an earlier flight to see if I could standby. I was told no in a rather rude way. I know they had empty seats because before I went to the gate I went into the ticketing process and saw the seat map, including them wanting to sell me a comfort upgrade.

No worries, the bar got some of my customer's money. When I went to my original flight, which was in a prime time slot, and oh my goodness it was overbooked. Everyone was looking at each other like "you'd better volunteer because I'm getting on this plane". When the reimbursement reached $2,000, I took it and smiled the whole way. To make it better, it was the same gate agent that had earlier refused me the standby. I got home about an hour and half late instead of 2 hours early. But as I figure it, I made 2k in 3.5 hours, so I was ok with that.

Still, bad policy decision by Delta cost them money.

It's not just Delta, they all nail you every chance they get. I ride Delta as little as possible simply because I've never had adequate legroom in cattle car on them, and that goes back about 40 years. They're not alone with that problem.

Back