How does ATC feel about "side" conversations on frequency by two planes?

Insane

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Insane
This is really a question for any controllers on here.

You know what I'm talking about. You're checking in on the frequency you've just been assigned and someone recognizes your voice and you have a quick terse conversation over the frequency.

It happens fairly often with me. My previous CFI flies charter out of the same airport I'm based and probably once a month the above scenario plays out with the approach controller or on the tower frequency. It is never initiated by me, and I hear the charter companies at my airport do it all the time. Like I said very terse conversations and not when it is busy.

So my question is, does this annoy the controllers? They never say anything. Strictly speaking is this against the rules? It doesn't seem like a great idea to tie up the frequency with this type of thing even if it is not busy.

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm talking about two pilots talking to each other while the ATC controller is not talking...

Last edited:
I've had controllers ask me what type of plane I am flying. Usually they think the RV-10 is a twin. :lol:

Seriously! :yes:

Is the frequency quite? Only two or three quick short messages. "Hi Rick" "Hi George" "heading home?" "yep, weather is good to get in" "thanks"

If the freq is busy, bad form.

One of my instructors was also a TRACON controller. Happened every time he called Norcal Approach.

They generally don't like it unless you ask first. However, if the frequency is quiet, they will usually grant permission as long as you keep it short and appropriate, e.g., "can you call me after you land?" rather than "so how's the wife and kids?"

This is really a question for any controllers on here.

You know what I'm talking about. You're checking in on the frequency you've just been assigned and someone recognizes your voice and you have a quick terse conversation over the frequency.

It happens fairly often with me. My previous CFI flies charter out of the same airport I'm based and probably once a month the above scenario plays out with the approach controller or on the tower frequency. It is never initiated by me, and I hear the charter companies at my airport do it all the time. Like I said very terse conversations and not when it is busy.

So my question is, does this annoy the controllers? They never say anything. Strictly speaking is this against the rules? It doesn't seem like a great idea to tie up the frequency with this type of thing even if it is not busy.

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm talking about two pilots talking to each other while the ATC controller is not talking...

It never bothered me when I didn't need the frequency myself. When I did need it it was readily apparent and not an issue.

I've had controllers initiate the conversation. "What's going on at KXXX with all the Cessnas going there?" We were on the way to a fly-in.

One of my instructors was also a TRACON controller. Happened every time he called Norcal Approach.

Similar, my primary CFI was a controller, he knew the voices and would say a quick hey if the freq was not crowded. Similarly, if I hear someone in a club plane (used to belong) and the freq is open, I'll shout out a quick "Hey David" or similar.

As others have said, it all depends how busy things are. My last trip to 3DA, on the way home the Flint controller read me my clearance and then asked me how my meal was and which restaurant I had been to, and even gave me a suggestion for another one nearby.

As others have said, it all depends how busy things are. My last trip to 3DA, on the way home the Flint controller read me my clearance and then asked me how my meal was and which restaurant I had been to, and even gave me a suggestion for another one nearby.

Easy to tell when controllers are bored:

"Chattanooga approach, Mooney 97642"

"Well, good morrrrrrning Mooney 97642, what can we do for you on such a fiiiiine beauuuuuutiful Sunday morning?"

:wink2:

Best to be ready to copy, though, when they're busy the first reply will be my clearance, heading, and altitude.

Always ask controller,then give the other aircraft freq to switch to.

Easy to tell when controllers are bored:

"Chattanooga approach, Mooney 97642"

"Well, good morrrrrrning Mooney 97642, what can we do for you on such a fiiiiine beauuuuuutiful Sunday morning?"

:wink2:

Best to be ready to copy, though, when they're busy the first reply will be my clearance, heading, and altitude.
I tried chatting with McGuire Approach on a very dead day when I was flying to ACY during the Superbowl but couldn't get him to utter more than a few words

When Arthur flew into PWK on his IR training flight, I asked him how it went. I wasn't busy and had the time. It depends on the controller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an aside, I've had some conversations --- with the controller --- as in Geico's case -- not really a PIREP, but general questions concerning activity and such (@ his initiation)

If it's quite or late night I'll say hey. I'll ask to relay a message if its busy and I need to pass something along.

Most late nights around here MEM CTR will hold a conversation with you. I have had one point out interesting Military flights, like refueling training or some B-52 doing low level work.

Our practice when we here friends or they here us is "Joe, 12345" and then switch over and have our conversation there on the #2 radio while monitoring frequency on #1.

I've had controllers initiate the conversation. "What's going on at KXXX with all the Cessnas going there?" We were on the way to a fly-in.

My favorite was "How's the traffic on I-80?" from an Oakland Center controller near Lake Tahoe.

My best so far is a controller say "Grumman xxxx request"
When I replied "xxx approach say request"

He replied " hey are you the radio voice for the local flower land commercials"
When I laughed and replied negative he replied " man you sound just like him and reminded me I need to pickup flowers on the way home"

I must have been using my smooth talking blues voice that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had a TWR guy ask me how the conditions on the local lake looked. I guess he wanted to go fishing when he got off. :D

I replied back with what coves and boat ramps looked good and he thanked me.

My best so far is a controller say "Grumman xxxx request"
When I replied "xxx approach say request"

He replied " hey are you the radio voice for the local flower land commercials"
When I laughed and replied negative he replied " man you sound just like him and reminded me I need to pickup flowers on the way home"

I must have been using my smooth talking blues voice that day.

I have another one I almost forgot.....this was not actually a conversation but the best laugh so far.
I was getting clearance from ground one time in a Grumman tiger at a very slow time and the controller didn't use my tail number but called me "crouching tiger" so for the rest of tower comm and departure I was referred to as crouching tiger .

So glad to see There is a sense of humor in that there tower box.

I was doing some t-n-gs a couple weeks ago and asked to be cleared for two landings based on the previous pass (just a little gusty). The controller was laughing when he responded. Have also heard the guys at FTG call themselves Centennial (APA) when things get a little busy...definitely a sense of humor there.

I have another one I almost forgot.....this was not actually a conversation but the best laugh so far.
I was getting clearance from ground one time in a Grumman tiger at a very slow time and the controller didn't use my tail number but called me "crouching tiger" so for the rest of tower comm and departure I was referred to as crouching tiger .

So talking about a sense of humor/sarcasm, I once heard a funny exchange down in Dallas.

I was transitioning through the Bravo airspace maybe two or three years ago on a really hot summer afternoon (temperatures were in the 100s on the ground). I was talking with one of the TRACON controllers, and it was fairly busy so when I heard the following exchange (the gist of it I don't remember the exact conversation but this is pretty close).

Controller: Cessna 123, what is outside temperature you're showing?

There was a short pause then:

Cessna 123: (sounding confused) It's, uh, 92 degrees

Controller: That's pretty hot, huh? Would you like higher for some cooler temperatures?

[At this stage I was thinking to myself WTF :dunno: why is he doing this when he seemed to be so busy]

Cessna 123: (still confused) Uh, sure, that would be great.

Controller: Then why didn't you climb when instructed? I've told you TWICE to climb and maintain 4500!

So, in line with the original question, if a controller is really bored, and you're bored, is it alright to chat with them?

I love doing late night stop and goes but, boy, the people in the tower sound grumpy as ****, like I just woke them up or something. Should I let them sleep or try to keep them awake? :p

So, in line with the original question, if a controller is really bored, and you're bored, is it alright to chat with them?

I love doing late night stop and goes but, boy, the people in the tower sound grumpy as ****, like I just woke them up or something. Should I let them sleep or try to keep them awake? :p

I've had a few conversations with controllers. Over west Texas with no one else on frequency. Over Houston, south of IAH, north of downtown, talked about flying in Colorado with unlimited visibility vs Houston and can't see crap. Over Denver very early one morning with no one on frequency but had moon setting over the snowcapped mountains and sun just starting to show in the east - I had to rub it in to the controller stuck in the windowless room so I described the view.

I've had tower controllers be grumpy when flying very early of very late - I just figured they'd be getting a noise complaint so they were taking it out on me.

I have had many converstions with contollers, including one that saw my avionics update on here and asked me about it while I was in his sector. :D
One of the tower guys at FTY asks me about cars and the other day made sure to compliment my service guys.:D I usually refrain from talking to other pilots on freq, I will usually just say, Hey Jim or something short.

Most of the odd chit chat I've been involved in has been controller induced.

I was one day shooting down to NC in the Navion and my architect was coming in his Baron. We left a little earlier but about half way there while getting FF I ask if he has Baron 8UR on his scope. He checks a bit and tells me he's about 50 miles behind me and gaining on me.

I've heard other PoAers on freq from time to time, and I'll say something quick like "Hi Ted!" and sometimes, since PoAers are just smart this way, we'll end up having a lengthier conversation on 122.75 without having to arrange it over the main frequency.

Flew into Triple Tree last month for the "Chilly Chili Fly-in" and on the way out we had a controller ask "how was the chili?"

I've heard other PoAers on freq from time to time, and I'll say something quick like "Hi Ted!" and sometimes, since PoAers are just smart this way, we'll end up having a lengthier conversation on 122.75 without having to arrange it over the main frequency.

Yay 122.75 :)

I tried chatting with McGuire Approach on a very dead day when I was flying to ACY during the Superbowl but couldn't get him to utter more than a few words

The military controllers are very by the book in my experience, even when the freq is totally quiet.

The military controllers are very by the book in my experience, even when the freq is totally quiet.

Unless you're flying an Apache at a field not used to seeing them. Then they want to talk and ask questions. Not that we mind.

I landed at Nurnberg one day and had a local regional jet pilot tell everyone on the freq to get a look at the Apache.

First time I've heard "military controller" and "by the book" used in the same sentence. :)

First time I've heard "military controller" and "by the book" used in the same sentence. :)

Whoa! Thems fighting words Mark! :)

I agree, most military facilities have military controllers who don't take part in chit chat. However, most military facilities have experienced civilian DOD controllers who do take part in chit chat.

Our practice when we here friends or they here us is "Joe, 12345" and then switch over and have our conversation there on the #2 radio while monitoring frequency on #1.

You do know that 123.45 is not an authorized air-to-air frequency, right?

Whoa! Thems fighting words Mark! :)

I agree, most military facilities have military controllers who don't take part in chit chat. However, most military facilities have experienced civilian DOD controllers who do take part in chit chat.

:rofl:

DAFB controllers will chat back and forth a little, seems more at night than day ( much less traffic).

What about Flight Services? Any pilots chitchat with them?

I haven't heard of that yet.

I was Indy to NE Indiana a few years ago- a common flight for me- and the Grissom controller was giving NCAA tournament basketball scores to a pilot he knew. Another pilot said "this sounds like a full service frequency." The controller later came on air to the second pilot with- " Nxxx you are leaving my airspace. Contact Fort Wayne for advisories and more NCAA updates."

Many years ago I was flying home late into the night and got handed off to Indy Center. After checking in there was no communication for about 10 minutes. I did a radio check and the controller said I was the only one in his sector. I asked him if he had time to tell me who was winning the Firecracker 400. He asked me to "wait while I go downstairs and check the TV". He came back a few minutes later and ran down the top 10 :)

Last edited:
Back