How do you log your instrument proficiency

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Going through some FAA training recently, a segment made it plain that the FAA (or at least the author of the course) expects that you put language in your log entries about intercepting and tracking courses through the use of nav systems, not just the normal documentation of approach procedures and holds.

I used to just log a proficiency flight like:

Instrument proficiency flight. FDK ILS 23 and RNV 5, THV RNV 17 and 35, 2 holds.

And assumed that a reviewer would know that flying a procedure would require the interception and tracking of courses.

I logged my last flight like this, however.
Lunch at Gettysburg. Instrument practice (approaches, hold, intercept and track courses) THV RNV 35 and 17, FDK ILS 23. Safety Pilot: Tom Parker.

Just curious - how do YOU log your flights that "count" toward instrument currency?

I'm spare with words.

"ILS 32", "VOR nav", "2 turn hold", whatever applies.

I typically do not do dedicated instrument proficiency flights except on IPCs, and so usually there are only one or two items to put in the remarks section.

I'm with Ken -- I just put the approaches per 61.51(g)(3)(i) (location and type) and write "hold" if I did one in the Remarks block.

Ditto, except I specify the fix or navaid at which I performed the hold.

I log approaches when I do 'em, and any time I do a hold, I log "Holding, Intercepting, and Tracking". 'Cause I know I did the other two somewhere on the flight ;)

Fly safe!

David

I'm with Ken -- I just put the approaches per 61.51(g)(3)(i) (location and type) and write "hold" if I did one in the Remarks block.

Same here except that I normally include the actual approach name e.g. FCM ILS 10R. I've never understood why the FAA insists that you must log tracking and intercepting when that's part of every approach except radar.

I've never understood why the FAA insists that you must log tracking and intercepting when that's part of every approach except radar.
Since that's true, I believe I have logged "tracking and intercepting" when I logged the approach.

OK, but if your destination in the previous column is already listed as FCM, why bother repeating "FCM"?

It is generally redundant, but there is at least one exception. That is when executing an approach at one airport followed by a landing at a different one. You could include the airport only when it was different than the airport listed as the destination but I find it simpler to just always put the airport with the approach. In any case one possible interpretation of the requirement to log the location of the approach would be that the airport name should be explicitly associated with the approach type. The need for the complete approach name which would include the runway (or A/B/C designation) is less clear but I do that too.

Back