How do you know you it's time for an Engine Overhaul?

Correct, I was pointing out that Continental does it differently since he seemed dubious as his response points out.
there are no "ring" gears in a TCM accessory case....:D

ringgear.jpg

Last edited:
They are still gears, you can't expect a non mechanic to be perfectly clear on nomenclature.
Oh....good Lord. Yes, an engine has lots of gears. :rofl:

this is likely the gear set he is describing......for the alternator drive in a TCM engine.

GearAlternatorFailure2.JPG

Last edited:
Oh....good Lord. Yes, an engine has lots of gears. :rofl:

this is likely the gear set he is describing......for the alternator drive in a TCM engine.

GearAlternatorFailure2.JPG

Yep, most likely one of those, and as far as general correct nomenclature goes, that vertical gear on the left is a "ring gear" similar (though non hypoid) to the ones found in an automotive rear end "Ring and Pinion" set.

It's not really necessary to play Nomenclature Nazi with someone when their meaning is clear.

That says pretty much exactly what I said. That the shop will take advantage of you without Savvy in your corner.

That is an absolute insult and slap in the face to every hard working honest A&P trying to serve you.

IMHO you may have sex with your self.

That is an absolute insult and slap in the face to every hard working honest A&P trying to serve you.

Same as any industry, the 20% will always soil the reputation of the 80%. Problem is, without anarchy, it's incurable.

no.....it doesn't.

It tells you when it's making metal, which may or may not be an "indicator" of impending failure. :nono:

If it's making metal, hasn't it already failed? or are you saying the failure must be when it trashed the engine?

I know of 1, 0-300-D that has never been overhauled, it's approaching 7000 hours. It does get IRANed every year in the off season.
There should never be 1 single reason to overhaul any engine flying in part 91.

In the case of the little C-90 I just finished. during annual we discovered that all cylinders had very low compression, So we pulled #4 to see what we could see, found it pitted and the rings very worn. So the decision became do we replace the cylinders with new? after questioning the owner, I he admitted the engine had low oil pressure, I checked the rod fore and aft travel and found it to be excessive. It was apparent that the engine was worn out, so we pulled it.

OBTW it had 450 hours since last overhaul.

Time, oil analysis doesn't mean any thing by them selves, Proper trouble shooting, and common sense will lead you to a proper decision. Then it's a simple matter of how the A&P signs it off as a repair or a overhaul.

Last edited:
Ted's #1 in my book when it comes to engines. You'll have to be here longer than two years to understand why he's trusted. (Not being a smart ass...just saying that it takes years of reading his stuff to develop the respect for him).

Yep, and many of us have met him and discussed this stuff with him. It also doesn't hurt that he used to work for a major aircraft engine manufacturer. He knows his stuff.

Charlie Melot, and Tom D also.

Yep, and many of us have met him and discussed this stuff with him. It also doesn't hurt that he used to work for a major aircraft engine manufacturer. He knows his stuff.

Charlie Melot, and Tom D also.

This is a good piece of information that I was unaware of. Thanks for sharing.

Completely out of context Tom...read (and more importantly understand) the entire string. I was defending A&Ps and lambasting Mike Busch for having that attitude...not saying that I believe that.

Well, of course he doesn't use words like that. He's a bit more subtle and uses statements such as "In addition, Savvy can be a godsend when you face an aircraft owner's worst maintenance nightmare: a mechanical problem away from home. Instead of having to deal with unfamiliar shops and mechanics, you simply contact your Savvy account manager and he handles everything for you. He'll ensure the problem is diagnosed properly, that it is repaired in the most cost-efficient fashion, and that the charges are fair and reasonable. That kind of peace of mind is priceless."

That says pretty much exactly what I said. That the shop will take advantage of you without Savvy in your corner.

And...of course...Savvy will be able to correctly diagnose the problem from 1/2 way across the United States while the mechanic who's looking at the plane can't. :rolleyes2:

I understand both points. Tom - respectfully, if I'm halfway across the country, how on earth do I know if I got one of the 80% "good A&P's"? Sometimes a fine line between doing appropriate "due diligence" and insulting someone for even good reasons.

What Mike can do is assess if the A&P is recommending something reasonable under the circumstances and if the price is "in the ballpark". He clearly has more knowledge that I do about how these engines work and what typically fails with a given set of circumstances. That has some value to me.

But, I also agree with the sentiment that there is a major sales pitch that oversells just what is possible in that difficult situation.

Today, I'd post here, that would most likely help a bit, but there are a lot of people who don't exercise that option.

But, if you have a relationship with your local mechanic then you can get the same...likely better...service for far less than Savvy wants. What is it? $750/yr per year for a single? That's the price of my annual.

But, if you have a relationship with your local mechanic then you can get the same...likely better...service for far less than Savvy wants. What is it? $750/yr per year for a single? That's the price of my annual.

My mechanic would drop me like a hot rock if I forced Mike Busch on him. That being said, I've spent a bunch of money to have parts replaced and not fix the problem. So, again, I see both sides.

Truthfully, if I traveled a lot, I would use his services. I do find value there. My partner and I have considered it for about 2 years. But, at the end of the day, we don't want to fly the plane to another airport to have service done. There is a cost there of time, predominately.

I understand both points. Tom - respectfully, if I'm halfway across the country, how on earth do I know if I got one of the 80% "good A&P's"? Sometimes a fine line between doing appropriate "due diligence" and insulting someone for even good reasons.

What Mike can do is assess if the A&P is recommending something reasonable under the circumstances and if the price is "in the ballpark". He clearly has more knowledge that I do about how these engines work and what typically fails with a given set of circumstances. That has some value to me.

But, I also agree with the sentiment that there is a major sales pitch that oversells just what is possible in that difficult situation.

Today, I'd post here, that would most likely help a bit, but there are a lot of people who don't exercise that option.

You don't, but then, you don't with SAAVY either from some of the things I have been hearing lately.:( I think he has outgrown his ability to manage.

Back