How do you install velcro?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Do you put the flat (hook) side on the permanent, hard surface and the soft (loop) side on the removable part? Or vice-versa?

Or does it make no difference?

Put the hook side in the place it is least likely to annoy you.
For example, don't put it someplace where it will continually snag your clothing or scrape your skin (when the velcro is not in use).

Do you put the flat (hook) side on the permanent, hard surface and the soft (loop) side on the removable part? Or vice-versa?

FWIW (and that ain't much) I put the soft velcro on the part I'm removing. When I used portable radios and GPS units I'd put the fuzz on them as there was nothing they could attach to when in my flight bag. The "hook" side always seems to find stuff to hang up on when put into a flight bag.

FWIW (and that ain't much) I put the soft velcro on the part I'm removing. When I used portable radios and GPS units I'd put the fuzz on them as there was nothing they could attach to when in my flight bag. The "hook" side always seems to find stuff to hang up on when put into a flight bag.

Me too....soft fuzzy part on the component to be mounted. The heavy duty white Velcro is wonderful stuff, and the adhesive holds up better in heat...my plane's bubble canopy greenhouse effect can turned other adhesives to goo in short order. I've used it to mount my iFly 740 to the panel.

FWIW: if installing on a fixed aluminum surface such as the floor, etc. it's best to install the hook side on the fixed part as the loop side is known for holding liquids in place and in some case can lead to corrosion issues. Any other scenario it's personal preference.

FWIW: if installing on a fixed aluminum surface such as the floor, etc. it's best to install the hook side on the fixed part as the loop side is known for holding liquids in place and in some case can lead to corrosion issues. Any other scenario it's personal preference.

Eww. That’s an evil plot twist.

My airplane came with considerable velcro.
More important to me than hook or loop being on one surface or another was what was used to attach the velcro to the airplane.
So many of my panels had velcro glued on. Really great glue. But the force required to separate the velcro often exceeded the long term holding power of the glue so when you pulled a panel, both parts of the velcro came away, or were left on the airframe.

Through trial and error I have decided:
1. No so much velcro is needed. Great big long strips for a panel (whose accidental dislodgement is not going to be an obstruction) are not needed. Short sections, depending on size and weight and external forces to panel ie two 2" strips of velcro over a foot of panel may be enough.
2. Where able, I glued velcro strips to the surfaces with a 2" hook strip at a 90° orientation to a 2" loop section so you have more glued surface area compared to the surface area being velcroed. Ie 2" of strip is glued but the velcro contact area is only the width of the velcro ie 1/2"
This has helped immensely when pulling panels or upholstery.

You mean "hook and loop"?
No. The package I have on hand says "Velcro".
And apparently, since the mounting will be semi-permanent with no chance of snagging on clothing or anything else, it seems to make no difference which side the hook or loop goes on.

Apparently the Jet Shades that I had customized and installed were put on too soon before the sticky part of the VELCRO had time to set and bond. They slid off and weren't sticking well. I replaced those pieces with new and have allowed them to bond for a couple of days now. Hopefully they will stick better now.

And as a side comment, when the Jet Shade on the top of the front windshield came loose over the Everglades last week I found out just how very effective they are. It immediately got uncomfortably hot in the cablin. I stuck the Jet shade back up and it became comfortable again. I love those things (Jet Shades). I rarely complain about the heat and they were way cheaper than a $30k+ airconditioner and much more effective (and less aggravation) than that stupid swamp cooler I spent $700 on.

I'm sure it does. To identify the brand of hook and loop fastener.....
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or just anal. I specifically mentioned the hooks and loops in my question, so I do know the difference. I also know that the product I am talking about is called Velcro, just as my pickup is a GMC.

Such a losing battle. Velcro has been genericized like "make a Xerox" or "Google something." Gives the trademark lawyers something to do, I suppose.
Google is actually a verb. Since it got misused so much, “they” decided to make it so.

Much like since people use the word “literally” for literally everything, “they” decided to make it have two literally opposite meanings.

Google it if you don’t believe me.

Back to my vise grips and crescent wrenches.

:p

Such a losing battle. Velcro has been genericized like "make a Xerox" or "Google something." Gives the trademark lawyers something to do, I suppose.
Neither of those are generic yet, although they might be someday. Think escalator, cellophane, dry ice.

Throw the velcro out and buy 3M command strips..... you're welcome.

Back