How do you get in the good graces of old man weather?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
My wife had today off work and I was able to reserve the plane for a quick hour flight. Figured, I'd take the wife over the Sound to look at the Seattle skyline from a few thousand feet. Just looked at the radar. Cloud bases are at 2900 and all the clouds are puffy cumulous clouds. Decided to cancel so her first flight with me as a newly minted pilot isn't during bumpy flying times. Almost considered keeping the reservation and just going solo but even opted against that as I don't need to go today.

I was really tempted to get out this afternoon and fly a cross-country, as the weather was better than forecasted, but looking at the TAFs and the now OVC layer above the airport that moved in quickly, I decided against it.

Roll the dice...Wx will do what it wants to do.

I was really tempted to get out this afternoon and fly a cross-country, as the weather was better than forecasted, but looking at the TAFs and the now OVC layer above the airport that moved in quickly, I decided against it.

B72DFE2C-9E6C-4D8E-8DF2-E94A0573D203.jpeg
We had about a 2 hr gap of nice weather today but that’s all over with now.

View attachment 84916
We had about a 2 hr gap of nice weather today but that’s all over with now.

Lol, half way home from the airport the ceiling was back down again.

Definitely agree you did the right thing keeping her from flying today.

However, unless there is some major issue I still would have flown solo. Any flying opportunity you can get, provided time, safety and $$$ aren't obviously against you, will just make her rides with you incrementally safer and more relaxed.

There's also times you just dont want to fly. It feels weird and wrong but there's usually something to it. But your gut never tells you in words.

Time to get your IFR.
IFR is something I'd like in the future. But todays decision wasn't on VFR/IFR. It was on the potential for turbulence and bumpy air. My wife went up with me and an instructor in mild turbulence and wasn't a huge fan of it so I've got to slowly introduce her to the sky on calm days. I called the airport and asked if what I was seeing as potential for bumpy flying was a reality pilots had been reporting. As suspected the pilots that have flown today have all commented that it wasn't a smooth flight. Once I heard that I knew the best decision I could make was to cancel and hope for better weather another day.

Definitely agree you did the right thing keeping her from flying today.

However, unless there is some major issue I still would have flown solo. Any flying opportunity you can get, provided time, safety and $$$ aren't obviously against you, will just make her rides with you incrementally safer and more relaxed.

There's also times you just dont want to fly. It feels weird and wrong but there's usually something to it. But your gut never tells you in words.
Good point, If she was working I would have easily flown solo or with the kids as they seem to handle mild turbulence better. When she is home I try to be home as well. With both of us working we value our time together.

My wife had today off work and I was able to reserve the plane for a quick hour flight. Figured, I'd take the wife over the Sound to look at the Seattle skyline from a few thousand feet. Just looked at the radar. Cloud bases are at 2900 and all the clouds are puffy cumulous clouds. Decided to cancel so her first flight with me as a newly minted pilot isn't during bumpy flying times. Almost considered keeping the reservation and just going solo but even opted against that as I don't need to go today.

Smart to introduce your wife gently on a smooth day! As far as going out solo, it's time to expand your comfort zone in a slow managed way. No one wants you to do anything foolish but sometimes it's good to go out to encounter some things you haven't seen. If you don't like what you're seeing you can always cut the flight short.

Smart to introduce your wife gently on a smooth day! As far as going out solo, it's time to expand your comfort zone in a slow managed way. No one wants you to do anything foolish but sometimes it's good to go out to encounter some things you haven't seen. If you don't like what you're seeing you can always cut the flight short.
I've done plenty in what we had today. Could've been a fun day for solo, but not for her.

That would not have affected his decision to fly today.

Besides, a 2,900 foot ceiling is pretty good VFR where I am from.

Sounds like good VFR weather in the Pacific Northwe(s)t, too.

I've got a plane reserved for tomorrow afternoon to fly up to look at the tulips in the Skagit Valley. Nice thing about being retired, I don't have to plan around that 4 letter word - WORK. :p

Sounds like good VFR weather in the Pacific Northwe(s)t, too.

I've got a plane reserved for tomorrow afternoon to fly up to look at the tulips in the Skagit Valley. Nice thing about being retired, I don't have to plan around that 4 letter word - WORK. :p
I was actually thinking of flying over the Skagit Valley with the wife. Figured today would be a shorter flight as it would be her first. However, now I might reconsider for next weekend. IF you have any tips or routes that make things easier let me know please.

Same way you treat any old men. Stand on their lawn, ignore their flapping jowls and chattering dentures, make fun of them on internet forums.

A plane without IFR in PacNW is a wonderful contraption to own for about 8 weeks a year. :p

I was actually thinking of flying over the Skagit Valley with the wife. Figured today would be a shorter flight as it would be her first. However, now I might reconsider for next weekend. IF you have any tips or routes that make things easier let me know please.

We flew up this afternoon. Keep in mind that some of the tulips are under the Class C shelf for Whidbey Island NAS. BVS is about 100 feet and the floor is 1300 feet MSL, so you need to keep the plane between 1100 and 1300 MSL while looking at the tulips. We did and it wasn't difficult. Flying up from KOLM I stayed at 2000 MSL as the base of the clouds was about 2800 MSL. It was a bit bumpy under the clouds, but smoothed out when they cleared out. We were at 2500 MSL when we went by Arlington. I hadn't seen it during the day, flew up there doing the night flying for my PP 19 years ago. Nice area.

If you have a moving map GPS in your plane it is easy to avoid all the special use airspace in the area, as well as to stay out of various airports' class D or B airspace. Went home at 3000 MSL as the clouds had lifted. The GPS made it simple to avoid the MOA in the area, as well.

The key thing is to look at your sectional and know where you are and where you are going.

Have fun!

We flew up this afternoon. Keep in mind that some of the tulips are under the Class C shelf for Whidbey Island NAS. BVS is about 100 feet and the floor is 1300 feet MSL, so you need to keep the plane between 1100 and 1300 MSL while looking at the tulips. We did and it wasn't difficult. Flying up from KOLM I stayed at 2000 MSL as the base of the clouds was about 2800 MSL. It was a bit bumpy under the clouds, but smoothed out when they cleared out. We were at 2500 MSL when we went by Arlington. I hadn't seen it during the day, flew up there doing the night flying for my PP 19 years ago. Nice area.

If you have a moving map GPS in your plane it is easy to avoid all the special use airspace in the area, as well as to stay out of various airports' class D or B airspace. Went home at 3000 MSL as the clouds had lifted. The GPS made it simple to avoid the MOA in the area, as well.

The key thing is to look at your sectional and know where you are and where you are going.

Have fun!
Awesome and thanks for the follow up as I was getting ready to ask how it went. Looking at the sectional last night I was actually thinking a route from Bremerton to Arlington then up to Skagit would be the ideal route to see the tulips. Figured we could even stop at Skagit for a small snack that we bring along with us and to relax for a couple minutes before we take off and reverse the route for our flight home. I could also fly to CVV then on to Skagit but the Arlington route seemed to be a better option as I was looking at it.

I also saw the clouds today and was curious how it was so glad it went well for you without too many bumps. The plane I rent has a moving map in the Garmin 430 and I use Flightplan Go on my phone as a backup so navigating the route shouldn't be a problem.

Back