How do you feel about flying?

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
I have not been able to fly in two weeks because of the weather and work. But last Friday I flew to Austin and back. What a great day. The sky was blue and you could see for miles. Every time I fly I am so happy to be a pilot. I get to enjoy this wonderful experience of flight.

How do you feel about flying? Is it just a tool to get you from point A to B or does it make you feel alive?

It's fairly difficult to get an airplane from point A to B without flying it. It can be done yes, but generally you prefer to fly it if you can.

I told my girlfriend, just the other day, that the feeling I get when I want to fly is very much like the one I used to get when I smoked and needed a cigarette... So I guess its an addiction...:)

Sounds great, glad you had such a wonderful flight. I had hoped to fly to Austin (KEDC) a few weeks ago, but the weather didn't cooperate on that trip unfortunately. For me, when I daydream about flying, I'm usually thinking about taking my family to the beach or some vacation spot; I really enjoy that aspect of aviation. I like the technology behind flying too, so I like messing around with apps and mock flight planning to various destinations at various speeds and conditions, or even using my flight sim. Also a rare day goes by that I don't look at the various airplane websites and think about buying a new airplane to replace my Sierra. I have a friend down the street who owns a tail-dragger and for him, he enjoys going to all the local fly-ins and doing off-airport landings...flying low and slow in his two seater is what gets him going. It's pretty interesting that people can get excited about such different aspects of aviation, even though they all include flying.

I live flying but I may be in the minority as to why...soaring among the birds is not the part that excites me. For me, it is a tool for transportation but the part that gets me excited is the mastering of the machine and system. I love the mechanics of flying and being part of the ATC "system" more than the exhiliration of flight.

Whether it be boats, trucks, planes, heavy machinery...I just enjoy being in the drivers seat, being in control of the machine and partaking in the process over the journey. To me they are just all big kid's Tonka Toys and I refuse to be a grown up inside...the toys have just gotten more expensive!

I am not one to go just poke holes in the sky by myself, but I will jump at every opportunity to fly myself somewhere and love every second of it.

Last edited:
I'm most at peace when I'm flying. As my CFI and I were flying back from Block Island the other day - a gorgeous, sunny, cloudless day - in a moment of pure bliss, I unintentionally let out a big sigh. He didn't even need to glance my way to know it was a sigh of joy. He just responded, "Yep... it's good to be us."

There are a lot of ways I can get from point A to point B. I fly because it's my passion.

I fly mainly for the sake of being able to fly. Sure, making trips by plane is fun and special, but I still enjoy tooling around the local area, boring holes in the sky for no particular reason, just because I can.

,,,How do you feel about flying? Is it just a tool to get you from point A to B or does it make you feel alive?

Both.

I love the experience of messing around with small airplanes, tinkering, learning about them, flying them, hangar flying, introducing flying in a small plane to others, the works. And I enjoy the expanded range of places I can go and people, including family, friends and biz associates, I get to spend time with at the other end of the journey that would not be as easily possible without the airplane.

It's an addiction to me,twice a week keeps it under control,with several long cross country flights a year.

It's how I make a living, it's transportation and it's also one of my favorite things to do

I've often thought that it's primarily sexual, both the blue-sky, soaring-like-an-eagle exhilaration and the oh-****-we're-gonna-die exhilaration. The sex afterward is always fantastic.

I haven't flown since 3/28, because of broken airplanes. Definitely feeling the withdrawals.

I fly mainly for the sake of being able to fly. Sure, making trips by plane is fun and special, but I still enjoy tooling around the local area, boring holes in the sky for no particular reason, just because I can.

This. One of these days I'll take a long cross country, like 1200 miles.

I really enjoy it, but to be honest, it's lost some of its fun factor. I used to go up any time I had an excuse, but now I primarily fly for transportation reasons. It's still 1000000 times better than being caught in Atlanta traffic.

......The sex afterward is always fantastic.

The sex during is pretty good too.

Or so i hear....I have a friend who knows someone who has a cousin who's 3rd uncle is a pilot. Well, that pilot knows someone else who, well, u know where I'm going with this....

Flying is "Zen like". As opposed to riding a motorcyle in the twisties, which is adreneline like.

For three years (2012-2014) I was working a consulting job that was 130 miles from home. During those three years I used my airplane to commute back and forth each week. While it was legitimate transportation for me, the flying was also the highlight of my week. I really enjoy flying because it is the perfect escape for me. It is rather theraputic. It allows me to get away from EVERYTHING so I can get a little break from the stresses of work and home. So yes, I love flying for so many reasons. The view is pretty awesome too!

For me, it's three things:

1. An addiction. After five or six days without flying, I start to get antsy, like missing my morning coffee.

2. Therapeutic. No matter what's going on at work or home, when I'm in the cockpit, I'm 100% present there. It can be an escape at times. And the peace I feel flying at sunrise or sunset is something I don't get anywhere else.

3. Practical. It's the best way to get from Point A to Point B on pretty days (no IR yet), like last week when I flew 90 minutes to Austin instead of spending 3+ hours in the car. It's a great way to get around a big state like Texas where cities are so far apart.

Most of the time I fly to get to where I want to go. Most flights are enjoyable but every now and again there's a condition that makes me assess whether being there is worth the getting there. Those flights aren't as fun. Like Saturday afternoon with a 30+mph crossing wind rolling over tall trees about 25-30' from the left wingtip. I used to think challenging flights were exhilarating. These days, not so much. Calm days and clear skies only seem to happen on days I'm in the office.

I can't explain it all but I'll try in brief tidbits"

1) You ever tried to leave North Mississippi. You are two or three hours just to get to an airport. I know I am not in Texas or Alaska but it's hard to go anywhere without a lot of trouble.

2) I loved riding my bike, horse then motorcycle. The airplane is just the next level. My favorite may be the horse but it's tough to get the conditions perfect and a horse has to be cared for everyday. A machine can be parked for ...

3) I am also drawn to learn new things. This **** is fun, learning. Who knew?

4) All I can think of when I get out of the plane is when I can go again. I have had hobbies, snooker, golf etc.... I love the things that take focus to do properly.

I'm kind of burnt out on it I flew 200 hrs in a year and boring holes around the sky in a cessna is kind of dull. I really want to do acro but can't afford to for another year or two. I enjoy flying but just have no use for it now other than staying current.

If you are bored with single engine try flying gliders or doing acrobatics. Holy hell are they both fun.

I really enjoy it, but to be honest, it's lost some of its fun factor. I used to go up any time I had an excuse, but now I primarily fly for transportation reasons. It's still 1000000 times better than being caught in Atlanta traffic.

If you are not having fun maybe you need to switch to a different airplane.. The first year I started flying I had a 172. I got bored really fast and wasn't really having fun. I sold it and got a couple of different aerobatic biplanes and the fun was back. I have been flying the aerobatic planes for about 10 years just playing around. I have the Pitts Model 12 in the hangar but don't fly it much. You just have to be in the right mood to fly that thing because it takes every bit of your concentration. I find myself very happy every time I fly my J-3 Cub. The wife and son love the Cub also. Just toot around with the door open with a breeze in your face and burn 4gph. It does not get much better. I think I could go fly the Cub everyday and never get bored. No radio, no headset, no worries.....

Not only does it make me feel alive, it also puts food on the table and beers in the fridge.

If you are not having fun maybe you need to switch to a different airplane.. The first year I started flying I had a 172. I got bored really fast and wasn't really having fun. I sold it and got a couple of different aerobatic biplanes and the fun was back. I have been flying the aerobatic planes for about 10 years just playing around. I have the Pitts Model 12 in the hangar but don't fly it much. You just have to be in the right mood to fly that thing because it takes every bit of your concentration. I find myself very happy every time I fly my J-3 Cub. The wife and son love the Cub also. Just toot around with the door open with a breeze in your face and burn 4gph. It does not get much better. I think I could go fly the Cub everyday and never get bored. No radio, no headset, no worries.....

I guess I should have worded it differently, it's definitely fun and switching to the mooney has been awesome. On a scale of 1-10, it used to be an 11. Now it's more like an 8-9. I wish I could have a second plane, though. A buddy took me up in his Hatz, and that was definitely a blast, probably like flying your Cub. Unfortunately, I need something with a little more speed if I can only have one plane.

Flying is way more than transportation. It is nice transportation for sure, but flying (myself or commercial) or driving or trains, I'm a "look out the window" guy. Much as I like flying myself, I'm happy to be in the right seat as well.

But there is nothing like being able to hop in a plane and go without needing to coordinate with anybody. Such is airplane ownership! I kick myself for not buying a plane earlier (I rented/clubbed for the first 15 years or so I had my license).

I'm kind of burnt out on it I flew 200 hrs in a year and boring holes around the sky in a cessna is kind of dull. I really want to do acro but can't afford to for another year or two. I enjoy flying but just have no use for it now other than staying current.

Well that's because you're doing it wrong, just burning holes in the sky close to home is like buying a corvette and just driving in circles in the country club at 25mph, or having a adventurous smoking hot wife and sleeping in separate beds.

Even a 172 can be a hoot, do some epic cross countries, fly to Mexico or Cuba, start landing in back country fields and beaches and do some camping/hunting (yes a 172 can do that), go do some spins, spend more time low level.

Some of my earliest memories are of my dad's stick a tissue models on top of the refrigerator. I can't remember a time when I wasn't captivated by flight and didn't fantasize about seeing the world from a bird's perspective. Flying is a fusion of many passions: I love the radios, talking with ATC, running the checklist and preflighting the plane, I enjoy the satisfaction of surviving task saturation from time to time, and I really like how flying takes me out of my constrained terrestrial life and puts me right into an enjoyable moment. I'm sure I'd enjoy piloting a helium powered lawn chair, but I also like all the buttons and knobs in the Aspen equipped 182. Flying a cross country to a new airport, even if it's just for a touch and go, satiates a hunger. Hopping over the little baby mountains to get a fish taco literally satiates two hungers :) The learning never ends and I love that about my GA experience.

I posted this awhile back in a previous thread, but I guess it bears repeating. Y'all musicians will understand:

Flying is like music:

You need a good teacher.
You need constant practice.
Within a framework, there is room for individualism.
No matter how good you are you are never perfect.
No matter how good you are there is always someone better.
Every performance is different.
There is a time for solo and there is a time for teamwork.
Lots of mistakes go unnoticed by everyone but yourself.

I've always said if I win the lottery I'd build my own highway so only I could drive on it. maybe I'd let some friends drive on it, but everyone else can get the F out of my way. well, flying kinda sorta does that for me. I know there are other people up there, but for the most part I feel like the sky is mine for the time being. very peaceful and awesome. I also thoroughly enjoy working all the different aspects of a flight, from planning, to executing and working with ATC and whatever tower I may be flying into, monitoring the different airplane systems, all that good stuff. having a plan come together and being successful and safe in any particular flight is a sweet feeling. it's also a little humbling, as just about every flight I can find something I did 'wrong' or could have done better. I enjoy sharing the experience with new folks. I have had several people say they'll never get on a small plane, but I've never had a passenger say that after a flight with me, so that's kind of a good feeling. the thought of potential ownership and what opportunities that would open up is pretty awesome. also the fact that someday, just maybe, I'll get to see this awesome little monkey that has made his way across the country and been exposed to so many awesome adventures is pretty flippin cool. the stories behind that badass monkey, if you haven't been following, are just priceless. and finally, the opportunity to bust some freakin balls around here as well as have my balls busted is good sht. so, yeah, I think I'll keep my flying habit.

Well that's because you're doing it wrong, just burning holes in the sky close to home is like buying a corvette and just driving in circles in the country club at 25mph, or having a adventurous smoking hot wife and sleeping in separate beds.

Even a 172 can be a hoot, do some epic cross countries, fly to Mexico or Cuba, start landing in back country fields and beaches and do some camping/hunting (yes a 172 can do that), go do some spins, spend more time low level.
Land on the White House lawn...

I have made some pretty awesome memories in my slow 172. 3 weeks ago did the DC SFRA thing, was as simple as any other cross-country with flight following. 8+ hours drive was 2.8 awesome hours in the air instead. Coming up is another trip west to perhaps the Badlands, OSH, and the Cessna flyin in July. Last night was right seat in a 152 & loved every minute of it.

I posted this awhile back in a previous thread, but I guess it bears repeating. Y'all musicians will understand:

Flying is like music:

You need a good teacher.
You need constant practice.
Within a framework, there is room for individualism.
No matter how good you are you are never perfect.
No matter how good you are there is always someone better.
Every performance is different.
There is a time for solo and there is a time for teamwork.
Lots of mistakes go unnoticed by everyone but yourself.

Great analogy, especially the last one (musically, anyway!)

Back