How do you casually mention that you own an airplane without coming off like a ****?

I used to look more closely and give more credence to veterans' resumes. After I hired an ex sonar tech/operator boomer submariner, I wanted more. Never had another resume from a submariner, despite being quite close to the Trident sub base at Bangor, WA (always thought that was an apropos name for a nuclear weapons facility). He worked for me for 15 years until the company was sold. Most even-tempered guy you ever met.

I used to look more closely and give more credence to veterans' resumes. After I hired an ex sonar tech/operator boomer submariner, I wanted more. Never had another resume from a submariner, despite being quite close to the Trident sub base at Bangor, WA (always thought that was an apropos name for a nuclear weapons facility). He worked for me for 15 years until the company was sold. Most even-tempered guy you ever met.
I got a new one (at least for me) last week when submitting a few resumes. I'm accustomed to the forms asking for veteran status, but this time a few of them asked if I "identify" as a veteran. I know it's a brave new world in many respects, but I thought that a veteran was something you either are or aren't. Apparently it's now on the list of things you can "identify" as.

I got a new one (at least for me) last week when submitting a few resumes. I'm accustomed to the forms asking for veteran status, but this time a few of them asked if I "identify" as a veteran. I know it's a brave new world in many respects, but I thought that a veteran was something you either are or aren't. Apparently it's now on the list of things you can "identify" as.
Some people may have reasons for not telling people they're veterans, from lingering issues regarding public perception during the Vietnam era, concerns about misconceptions over PTSD, a desire to put their service behind them, concerns about idiots pressing them to tell war stories, etc.

Other idiots conflate "veteran" with "retiree." I'm a veteran, not a military retiree. Don't get a pension from the Government, don't get VA medical care, but some think I'm somehow sponging off the taxpayer.

Heck, I'm technically a Vietnam veteran but don't identify as such. Didn't serve outside the CONUS, didn't go on active duty until 1977, but get the Vietnam-era VA benefits since they enlisted me in the Air Force reserve when I got into my last two years of college ROTC.

Ron Wanttaja

I've had three different vets work for me over the years. All were great, all were coincidentally Navy. One command ship clerk (Coronado), one P-3 tech, one Annapolis grad that was stationed on a destroyer. All of them had their collective crap together. No offense to the Navy, but I attribute it to anyone being able to put up the overall BS of that group being easily able to handle the relatively minor stresses of IT.

Some people may have reasons for not telling people they're veterans, from lingering issues regarding public perception during the Vietnam era, concerns about misconceptions over PTSD, a desire to put their service behind them, concerns about idiots pressing them to tell war stories, etc.

Other idiots conflate "veteran" with "retiree." I'm a veteran, not a military retiree. Don't get a pension from the Government, don't get VA medical care, but some think I'm somehow sponging off the taxpayer.

Heck, I'm technically a Vietnam veteran but don't identify as such. Didn't serve outside the CONUS, didn't go on active duty until 1977, but get the Vietnam-era VA benefits since they enlisted me in the Air Force reserve when I got into my last two years of college ROTC.

I certainly understand all of those. There are some experiences that you really just don't want to bring up to people who don't (and realistically probably can't) understand them.

I think I'll identify as a General from now on. Do you think that will make my wife listen to me?

No doubt. But these are questions required to comply with various statues governing employment. You're either a veteran or not. Decline to answer is also an option. But answering that I "identify" as a veteran would not provide useful information.

Ron Wanttaja
Poor choice of words IMO.
It is certainly NOT sponging when referring to those who are entitled to benefits.

I think I'll identify as a General from now on. Do you think that will make my wife listen to me?

Speaking privately, she’ll probably have a major problem with that. She might even give you the bird, colonel!

Well Harland Sanders was given to be an honorary colonel and it apparently helped to sell a lot of chicken so there's that ... ;)

The company where I worked for 23 years had an early policy of not allowing certain key personnel to fly together. Our travel agent had the list and pairings.
I knew such policies existed when, as a new group leader in R&D, I learned that our research management team was all headed to our site in Germany for project reviews. The VP, both directors, and all the managers and group leaders. I asked the VP’s admin if corporate policy allowed that much of the management structure to be on the same flight.

She got back to me the next day and kinda gleefully told me that HR said they were just fine with all of us being on the same plane.

Wanttaja said:
Don't get a pension from the Government, don't get VA medical care, but some think I'm somehow sponging off the taxpayer.
Poor choice of words IMO.
It is certainly NOT sponging when referring to those who are entitled to benefits.
I don't disagree. But some DO think that veterans are sponging off the taxpayer. My wording was perfectly correct.

Ron Wanttaja

I think most people are picturing a Gulfstream or Learjet
A few years ago I had to go out to a conference in Colorado. Another guy from my squadron was going to go as well so we opted to take the Bonanza. The cost of the airline tickets almost offset the cost to fly the Bo out there (one way) but hey, it's an adventure!

We're on our way back and I stop in the middle of nowhere (Sublette, KS) for gas because my buddy had lived near there sometime as a kid. I'm fueling the plane and he calls his mom.

Buddy: "Mom, you'll never guess where I'm calling you from."
B: "Sublette, KS"
B: "Yes, near where we lived. Yeah, my buddy and I were coming back from colorado and we stopped here for gas."
B: "We are flying in his airplane."
B: (laughing) "yeah mom.... like I know anyone who owns a JET!"
B: "Yes, it's a small plane. Yes, it's safe. Yes, he knows how to fly that too."

:lol

I do hope you got the message that "hangar" is spelled wrong on your hat.
I know. Inside joke.

I should probably explain.
I have a hangar at KPOU.
When I applied for the hangar, I had to have insurance, I had to sign a contract, yada, yada, yada. Lot's of us have been through the ordeal.
The county misspelled the word "hangar" 5 times on the contract. When I corrected the spelling, and initialed each of the corrections, like a good little legal eagle citizen, someone at the county office sent it back to me with a "Who do you think you are??!!?" note and told me to sign it the way it was. I didn't bother to correct that grammatical mistake, either. So I made 4 "Hanger 29" hats and gave them to people who had helped me with my plane.
It gets a chortle at the airport diner.
I even have it as my opening on my Youtube videos. :D

My wife wants me to fix it. So I guess I will have to do that, someday.

Last edited:
I forgot:
Last week someone at the county office figured out they were being made fun of, and they are not amused. The county lawyer also told them they had to have the contracts fixed.
I have to re-sign a corrected contract and I have been asked to stop tormenting the animals in the cage.
It's only been 1 year and 5 months for them to figure it out.
Pretty quick for civil servants.

Watch for new "Hangar 29" merch.

IThe county misspelled the word "hangar" 5 times on the contract.

Back when I was doing building inspections for the county I saw a sign out front of a school; "No Parking on Yellow Curve." :dunno:

When I corrected the spelling, and initialed each of the corrections, like a good little legal eagle citizen, someone at the county office sent it back to me with a "Who do you think you are??!!?" note and told me to sign it the way it was.

I hope your response was in the vein of "someone with a 2nd grade or better education" ? I think that's when we were doing spelling of 6 letter words.

Do you actually number your hangers? Do you mark your socks left and right??
My wife seems to know if I out anything in there out of order, so I probably could've asked her, but instead I just counted. I did run out of fingers and toes, so i had to put a sharpie mark on #20 and start over.

Back