How do small airports get ICAO/IATA codes?

And, IIRC, O'Hare was a Naval aviator shot-down by "friendly" fire.

Well, he actually got shot at once returning to the Lex but it did little damage. Whether on his last mission the shots came from friendly fire or a Japanese plane were never conclusively determined. The aircraft was never recovered. However, the statements that the shot came from the Betty he was engaged with is more credible than the friendly fire scenario.

When I was up in Alaska some of the airports had two different ID's. One in the AFD and another on the charts. Probably have that cleared up now.

just for a data point, S67 changed to KMAN a few years ago coinciding with the installation of the AWOS-3.
I was told then it was because of the the AWOS installation.

Brian

Great story. What was the weather-system-crashing ID, and what suggestion of yours did they like????

M89 got changed to KADF. If I remember correctly I suggested KHSU, KADF, KDBF.

When the city found out what was going down they approved the KADF one that the NWS guy liked. We use to have an NDB with the ID of ADF. So everyone wanted to make it simple.

The NWS guy wanted to speak to the airport manager, who was also the Chief since our school ran the airport. When I told him he was gone for the day he asked for any suggestions that he might look over until he could talk to the manager.

M89 got changed to KADF. If I remember correctly I suggested KHSU, KADF, KDBF.

When the city found out what was going down they approved the KADF one that the NWS guy liked. We use to have an NDB with the ID of ADF. So everyone wanted to make it simple.

It appears you still have it.

We use to have an NDB with the ID of ADF
That's a good one for the pedants out there who get worked up about the transmitter being an NDB and the receiver being an ADF. Problem solved: Name the NDB "ADF"

I'm still waiting for KSEX.
And I for KEWL--Sometown Millennial Hipsterdrome.

just for a data point, S67 changed to KMAN a few years ago coinciding with the installation of the AWOS-3.
I was told then it was because of the the AWOS installation.
Interesting. I wonder if the policies on this have changed over the years and we got our AWOS-3 too early, or if there's more to it. It definitely seems from this discussion that whatever policies exist are either inconsistent through time or inconsistent in application.

It appears you still have it.

It still transmits but it's NOTAM'D OTS by the city as they don't want to inspect it anymore. If they want to get rid of it then it's odd why they keep powering the darn thing. They've just kept the Temp NOTAM on a rolling renewal for about three years now.

The FAA removed our NDB approach about a year or so ago.

Back