How do I turn off Gyros to isolate noise on Nav?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
How do I turn off the gyros when I turn on the master? I'm trying to isolate some noise on my nav radios. I have the button type breakers, but I cannot simply pull them out. I tried to grab one, which is difficult, and pull it out, but unable to. Also, which breaker is the gyro on in a PA28-181?

How do I turn off the gyros when I turn on the master? I'm trying to isolate some noise on my nav radios. I have the button type breakers, but I cannot simply pull them out. I tried to grab one, which is difficult, and pull it out, but unable to. Also, which breaker is the gyro on in a PA28-181?

(Preferred) With all power off, remove the connector from the gyro (turn coordinator?)

or

Get pliers or string wrapped around the knob of the breaker.

Last ditch effort. (Turn off all radios first) take an alligator clip and clip it to the load side of the offending circuit breaker and short it to ground. If it doesn't instantly trip you may need a better connection or heavier jumper or the breaker is stuck.

Last edited:
no diagram, other than the whole dash.

IDK, maintenance manual have the wiring diagrams in them like Cessna? Cessna also usually has a diagram of how standard equipment are wired through the CBs in the POH.

Bad idea, if it doesn't instantly trip you may need to do some wiring repair. Disconnect the gyro cannon plug.

Agree, disconnect the power. Pulling a breaker not meant to be pulled can damage the breaker. And shorting it out not good in several ways.

Beat them with a hammer. They'll stop eventually.

Back