How do I stop from taxiing too fast?

Agreed. Big airports make this really obvious. According to google, it's 2.51 miles from my hangar to departure end 36L at HSV. A brisk walk is (again according to googled sources) 3mph. That's a 50 minute taxi, following the "no faster than you can walk" rule.

Yeah but that runway is 12,600' long. Are you really gonna taxi all the way to the end? :confused:

The big thing I notice when below 1000rpm is some alternators don't produce enough current at those engine speeds to keep the ammeter from swinging to the discharge side. Especially if you have things like nav/landing lights, boost pump, pitot heat, etc. energized.

Yeah but that runway is 12,600' long. Are you really gonna taxi all the way to the end? :confused:

Heh. No, not in the summer. But in the winter, I'll ask for the full length just to give the engine more time to warm up.

Heh. No, not in the summer. But in the winter, I'll ask for the full length just to give the engine more time to warm up.
The engine will warm up A LOT faster at run-up power, particularly if you lean it to max EGT.

6000 feet is already much longer than necessary for a spam can, even if the engine fails at 100 AGL. There is no need for twice that unless you want to do multiple stop'n'goes.

The engine will warm up A LOT faster at run-up power, particularly if you lean it to max EGT.
Depending on the engine, you may need to warm up sufficiently before you can apply run up power.

The big thing I notice when below 1000rpm is some alternators don't produce enough current at those engine speeds to keep the ammeter from swinging to the discharge side. Especially if you have things like nav/landing lights, boost pump, pitot heat, etc. energized.

More of a problem in old airplanes that still have generators. Alternators commonly handle pretty much anything you throw at them at 1000 RPM.

by deploying your thrust reversers.. duhhh.
seriously though lol.. light singles roll very quickly, especially on a solo.
One plane I was flying had a very high idle, so it was a rocket once it got moving.

More of a problem in old airplanes that still have generators. Alternators commonly handle pretty much anything you throw at them at 1000 RPM.

Right, at 1000rpm, no problem. But pull back to 650rpm idle, and most alternators do not keep up with the load.

Occasionally, you need to keep 1000 RPM, but the issue isn't plug fouling. If you're about to launch into a low ceiling, you'll want enough RPM to keep the vacuum in spec so the AI and DG are ready to go right away. Not an issue for VFR or student pilots, or even pilots of airplanes with decent or backup vacuum systems..........

After 'spooling' them up during runup, how much time do you have before they need to be 'spooled' up again?

..........I also pull the yoke to the full aft position which allows the elevator to act as a giant speed brake. Got that trick from a Beech PPP instructor during my transition training.

Cheers,
Brian

Hmm. Have your passenger hold the door open?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I see what you did thar! :yesnod:

Yeah. I guess it looks sarcastic, but that wasn't my point. There could be something to it. I don't know. One of the checks I do is watch the vacuum rise and fall as the RPM's change to make sure the gauge is operating and not just 'stuck' in the green. The vacuum can get kinda low when idling

Yeah. I guess it looks sarcastic, but that wasn't my point. There could be something to it. I don't know. One of the checks I do is watch the vacuum rise and fall as the RPM's change to make sure the gauge is operating and not just 'stuck' in the green. The vacuum can get kinda low when idling

It varies A LOT. An old AI/DG with a leaky vacuum system might last a few seconds. A good one might last several minutes. Some DGs precess at tens of degrees per hour with good vacuum (these are annoying). Then there is the one I flew to LA over the last weekend -- it precessed maybe 5 deg over the entire 2.5 hour flight. The game is to keep the vacuum in the green once the DG and AI are tested during taxi (earlier if the DG is set to the mag compass before that time).

This is only necessary for IFR flight, and perhaps only in IMC. You can fly VFR without it. Even if both instruments go TU, it's not a big deal under VFR.

I'm surprised that no one has provided the OP with the best and most obvious solution. To wit: always taxi up hill.

There it is. Use it.

Back