How do I reserve a specific N number?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Does anyone know how to reserve a specific N number that is available? I've found an N number that is available (deregistered), but I can't figure out how to reserve it. I've gone to this page on the FAA's website (https://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/NN/reserve.aspx) but it appears that will only let me reserve a non-specific N number and I can only choose the last 2 characters. I want to reserve an exact N number. Do I have to write a letter to the FAA to do this? Anyone know how?

Thanks in advance!

you should be able to put in the full n number (up to 5 choices)— the next screen is where you actually reserve it

Last edited:
Put in the last 2 numbers/letters of the number you want to reserve and on the next screen you’ll be able to put in the full n number (up to 5 choices)

That's not what I'm seeing. I don't see any place to enter the full N number on the next screen. Can you please screenshot me what you're seeing?

Let’s try this— type the full n number you want in one of the 5 boxes

Let’s try this— type the full n number you want in one of the 5 boxes

Is it letting you do that? Because it only lets me input the first number "5" into the first box and then locks me out from typing anything into the remaining boxes for some reason.

Yes— I just tried it with a random number. Want me to try with yours?

OK, it worked! I had to enter the whole N number in the first box rather than using each box for each character, as I thought was the way it was set up. My mistake. Thanks for your help tsts4 and Stewartb! Your encouragement that it was working for you got me to figure it out. :p

Back