How do I remove my instrument panel>

creweite

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Creweite
I need to remove the instruement panel from my Grumman AA5, does anyone know of a "how to" article>

Not sure about the Grumman, but it may be a structural element, which means after you remove it, unless you're an A&P, you'll need the signoff. Find the Grumman maintenance manual, that may have details.

You'll need to remove or disconnect every instrument in the panel. Plug up the vacuum system, the pitot/static system, mark every wire, tube, hose, control, etc. Then, and only then, consider removing the panel.

Out of curiousity, why do you need to remove the panel? Or are you looking to just remove the overlay?

Not sure about the Grumman, but it may be a structural element, which means after you remove it, unless you're an A&P, you'll need the signoff. Find the Grumman maintenance manual, that may have details.

You'll need to remove or disconnect every instrument in the panel. Plug up the vacuum system, the pitot/static system, mark every wire, tube, hose, control, etc. Then, and only then, consider removing the panel.

Out of curiousity, why do you need to remove the panel? Or are you looking to just remove the overlay?
Need to trouble shoot wiring. No help in maintenence manual

The panel is structural and may not even be possible to remove it.
Otherwise....
Clear out your calendar for the weekend.
Take out the seats.
Put down comfy pillows under the panel and where the seats were. Get a pair of magnifying glasses.
Have an assistant who knows how to use a multi-meter.
Find a local EAA member who installed their own panel and suffered thru all the wiring.
Crawl under the panel (hence the comfy pillows).
Not a bad idea to start tagging the wiring. I really miss Radio Shack.
After a couple hours of aggravation and swearing, find a local A&P to do the dirty work and write a check. Your mental health will thank you.

How do you relocate instruments? Can you make an aluminum overlay and attach it to the original panel, and then cut out the circles for the new instruments? I realize that in some places, you'd have to cut through the original panel there the holes did not line up.

Need to trouble shoot wiring.
What's wrong with the wiring that needs the panel removed? Never removed a panel just for troubleshooting. There are some tricks to checking wires depending on the problems you're trying to find.

I am under the impression that this kind of work involving a certified a/c is not covered by FAR 43 Appendix A Part C

How do you relocate instruments?
Depends. Sometimes you can adjust holes, sometimes it would involve serious structural work - removing the panel (which may be structural) and replacing it may be necessary. Depends on the aircraft design and what kind of relocating you are doing.
Can you make an aluminum overlay and attach it to the original panel, and then cut out the circles for the new instruments? I realize that in some places, you'd have to cut through the original panel there the holes did not line up.
That seems like about the worst way to do it.

The whole top of the dash comes off with several screws, thus gaining access to the backside of the panel from the top. If you need a new windshield anyway, remove it too, and you'll have pretty much unlimited access, without removing seats, and crawling around in cramped spaces.

Back