How do I do this?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Mary and I have been talking about doing something different to encourage new pilots. Over the last two decades we've tried everything short of bribery to grow the pilot ranks, and have succeeded in getting a few people into the cockpit...but far too few to matter. We need more new pilots!

So, we're down to bribery. :lol:

Here's our latest idea: As a reward for finishing, we want to give a gift certificate to every newly certificated pilot, good for a free night in our aviation themed hotel on Mustang Island: Amelia's Landing Hotel. This would be a nice slap on the back, a good attaboy/girl that might just serve as an incentive to push them to work just a wee bit harder to finish up? :dunno:

Who knows -- maybe it will work? Regardless, it probably can't hurt. Trouble is, now that we've had this brilliant idea -- how do we do it? How do we get a gift certificate to every newly minted pilot?

We are stumped -- any ideas? Is anyone already doing this that we can piggyback with? Where are they getting the information?

Thanks!

You could probably write some code that pimps new additions to the database. Instead of giving one night to every new pilot why not have a free raffle giving a week to one pilot who got his rating recently? No idea how you are going to get the word out, and if it something awarded to someone without being a motivator it is nice, but doesn't meet your intent.

Advertise in AOPA Pilot Training and studentpilot.com

Scour the airman database for new PPL's and send out mailers?

Attend LOTs of regional fly ins as vendors to promote the property in general and the promotion specifically.

how about offer everyone in the entire country a free night stay if everyone in the entire country gets a PPL within the next 3 years. never gonna happen but insane enough to get people thinking about a PPL. maybe. or, you know, maybe not.

Free room night, Megan Fox in the room?

Their rates are unaffordable, sadly.

You need to talk to Mark Baker and let him know what you want to do. AOPA should run the ads free! This is a good thing you are trying to do, Jay. Thank you.

Free room night, Megan Fox in the room?

She'd complain too much.

I've never understood why people want to force aviation on others or young kids. If they want it badly enough, they will come.

I've offered a number of bribes (in the form of interest-free loans for training with generous payback terms) and can't get any/many takers. If you find a good way to accomplish this please let me know.

She'd complain too much.

I've never understood why people want to force aviation on others or young kids. If they want it badly enough, they will come.

No one wants to force anyone, but the path to getting your pilot's license is often convoluted and confusing. Without a mentor who literally took me by the nose to the airport, introduced me to his CFI, etc, I doubt I ever would have figured it out -- even though I always wanted to fly.

Anything we can do to "grease the skids" for new pilots is a good thing, IMHO.

Mere weeks after my checkride, being a member only of AOPA and no forums, I received Trade-A-Plane, Sportys, King, Chief and Spruce mailings. Surely you can do it too. Aren't the FAA databases free and open? Mine them periodically and send something to the new listings.

Last edited:
A West Texas glider DPE has offered free check rides for the last two winters at his location.
I'm not sure how many he has completed.

When I got my PPL I got a bazillion adverts in my mailbox for a few weeks for things like renter's insurance, regional airplane broker services, and a couple of the fancier FBOs that can afford to mail glitzy postcards soliciting business.

Clearly, there is a way to target new pilots.

(I got another wave of similar stuff when I bought my plane, so there's also a way to target new owners.)

Jay wants to target the aspiring pilot, not the newly minted one. I think an ad in some news papers, or a mailer would be good options. If they're reading Pilot or attending fly-ins, most are already pilots. Granted, if you do go to fly-ins, take a pocket full of gift certificates or set up a booth, theres always kids (young AND old) walking around with stars in their eyes just needing that extra little push.

Great idea Jay! :thumbsup:

Here's a perspective from an aspiring pilot. Contact the local flight schools with your offer. There are only so many, and they have the same objective: mint more pilots. When I look at the websites for the schools near me (probably a common step for potential new pilots), I see that it looks like it costs between $7K and $10K to complete PPL. That number probably stops a lot of people in their tracks. If the loan idea (above) were more prominently featured, more people might try it. Do we know how many people get their PPL (or other certificate) each month or each year? BTW, this forum is a fantastic resource for the pilot aspirant! Just my humble thoughts.

Probably the cheapest, and most effective way to accomplish this would be to go get your CFI rating and start instructing for free and share your passion.

Eliminate 1/3 to 1/2 of the costs, and you might be able to get new pilots started.

Not as easy as printing a gift certificate, but likely would have a longer impact.

(And yes, there are plenty of details to work thru, but it is realistic. Lots of people volunteer lots of hours for their "causes").

Soaring has mostly free instruction, just the way the soaring club model has evolved. Doesn't cause an influx of students. Money is part of it, dad refusing to do what he wants on the weekend and being roped into other stuff is a bigger part. Crap airports surrounded by fences and filled with unpleasant people is the other part. Dead serious you want pilots? Hire models to hold signs* out by the airport road with whatever the intro flight deal is written on them.
*actual pilot will not be nearly as attractive
Probably the cheapest, and most effective way to accomplish this would be to go get your CFI rating and start instructing for free and share your passion.
Eliminate 1/3 to 1/2 of the costs, and you might be able to get new pilots started.

Not as easy as printing a gift certificate, but likely would have a longer impact.

(And yes, there are plenty of details to work thru, but it is realistic. Lots of people volunteer lots of hours for their "causes").

There will be a program here at F05 the week of Oct. 20th for women . It is called G.I.F.T.( Girls in Flight Training). They receive free ground school, free flight training, & reduced fuel price/ aircraft rental . It works. As an example , there was one lady who came because her husband was a pilot but she really wasn't interested in a license. Now she has PPL,working on her Instrument & her 3 kids are taking lessons.

You don't need to make girl pilots, you just need girls.

Maybe to start with you could contact flight schools within X miles of you. Give them an incentive and destination to fly to after they've earned the certificate. Could be a nice push for someone within 100nm or so of you guys and might even help get the buy-in from a significant other. "After I get my license, I'll fly you to this cool hotel for the weekend."

Boeing has three programs to interest employees in aviation. First, you get a small bonus when you solo, then another when you pass your private checkride.

Second, If you're at a location with an employee flight club (seattle area, wichita, or Denver with Jeppesen) you've got access to low cost rentals and CFIs.

Third, there's a HUGE internal online library of material in just about every topic imaginable, not just aviation, available anywhere in the world.

Guess how many employees at the Denver Boeing office (not Jepp down the road) or the Colorado Springs office took advantage of this?

During the three years I worked there, only one. Me.

Now let's look at Young Eagles....as soon as the parents find out the cost and the kids find out how much work, they might not lose interest but it's no longer at the top of the list of things to do.

If someone wants to learn, they'll find a way. Otherwise it's merely a fun ride at the amusement park to talk about with your friends. As much as I love flying Young Eagles, I'm fully aware I'm really only the bus driver.

Last edited:
To answer some questions, we attend as many fly-ins as possible, and always do raffles and other hotel give-aways.

We have an FBO packet that we give to every FBO we visit. Inside is a free night certificate, and a packet of half-price coupons that the FBO can give out as spiffs to their favorite customers.

These work wonderfully, and have been our most effective advertising for the hotel. There's nothing better than a bright red airplane on the ramp to draw a crowd, and everyone loves free stuff!

But that's for the hotel. I know how to sell THAT. (It truly sells itself.). What I'm struggling to sell is piloting. I would like to provide an incentive to students so that they don't give up.

If I had a nickel for every hotel guest who made it to solo, and quit, I'd be rich. There are just a ton of people who start, and never finish.

Now, is a free night in a little aviation themed hotel on an island in the Gulf of Mexico gonna change things? Will that change even be measurable?

Probably not. But it's all I have to offer. If it helps get someone over a rough stretch during training, well, it's worth it.

And if we ALL did something similar...

But the mechanics of getting this done are kicking my butt. I can't spend all day searching databases -- there must be an easier way to identify students!

With the WWII guys gone, I think making it more accessible and making people aware of it is important.

I think aviation just isn't something most people think about as a possibility. They assume it's too expensive for anyone who isn't rich and they don't know anyone who does it so it's just not a consideration.

Exposure is key.

Understanding basic things is also key... like how you don't just fall out of the sky if your engine fails. Or how just about anyone can be trained to be a competent pilot. Non-aviation people have no understanding of this stuff. Average non-aviation people don't get that you can totally open the windows on a 172 and nothing eventful happens or that for less than it costs to buy a boat you can get into a flying club and go a lot farther than around the local lake.

Mary and I have been talking about doing something different to encourage new pilots. Over the last two decades we've tried everything short of bribery to grow the pilot ranks, and have succeeded in getting a few people into the cockpit...but far too few to matter. We need more new pilots!

It's a puzzlement. I've invited dozens of people for a plane ride and most of them look at me like I'm a child molester (or a Democrat). :mad2::confused::yikes:

Just got back from an afternoon with my family at the New Orleans Lakefront Airport (Shushan Airport), a stunning Art Deco gem from 1933. If that does not inspire General Aviation, I don't know what would. Anyone who hasn't seen it is in for a treat.

Just got back from an afternoon with my family at the New Orleans Lakefront Airport (Shushan Airport), a stunning Art Deco gem from 1933. If that does not inspire General Aviation, I don't know what would. Anyone who hasn't seen it is in for a treat.

Agree 100%. It's gorgeous.

I like the 1940 Air Terminal Museum in Houston's Hobby Airport, too. Both are SO much more impressive than the el cheapo glass and plastic abominations we build today.

It's a puzzlement. I've invited dozens of people for a plane ride and most of them look at me like I'm a child molester (or a Democrat). :mad2::confused::yikes:

I tend not to invite too many people flying, mostly because it's a two-seat plane, and the people we know tend to be couples.

When we had a four-seat plane, we took couples flying about once a year.

I've currently got two people itching for a ride in the RV, but one weighs 280+, and the other is crazy. They both scare me, for different reasons. :lol:

I like the 1940 Air Terminal Museum in Houston's Hobby Airport, too. Both are SO much more impressive than the el cheapo glass and plastic abominations we build today.

I couldn't agree more.

Their rates are unaffordable, sadly.

Call Hal Shevers at Sporty's. As you know, he is a strong supporter of GA with a large investment in new students. He might be willing to co-market your idea (and Hotel)!

-Skip

Good Question, Hard Answer.
Over the years I have offered serveral people incentives to help them complete flying training. Primarily reduced rates or even nearly free flight instruction.
I seems like the better the deal I give them, the less likely they are to complete a rating.

At this point I have considered for friends and family I am thinking of charging them full rate, but offer them a refund if they complete their rating within a year. I haven't tried this method yet. but just reducing the cost doesn't seem to help.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Devil here, aren't we pushing through the people that will get the ticket then quit for the same reason? Great that they get the card punched and it makes a future return sooo much easier. But if, $, time, hassle, fear, whatever stops them from completing it will just stop them later post certificate.

Devil here, aren't we pushing through the people that will get the ticket then quit for the same reason? Great that they get the card punched and it makes a future return sooo much easier. But if, $, time, hassle, fear, whatever stops them from completing it will just stop them later post certificate.

These are NOT the people we aim at!

We aim at the guys spending $100K on boats (boats!). We aim at the guys spending $150K on a motor home. The ones with disposable income, but who lack the knowledge, confidence, whatever to get their PPL.

A free night in a hotel isn't much, I'm afraid, to these kinds of folks. But it's all I can offer. :nonod:

These are NOT the people we aim at!

We aim at the guys spending $100K on boats (boats!). We aim at the guys spending $150K on a motor home. The ones with disposable income, but who lack the knowledge, confidence, whatever to get their PPL.

A free night in a hotel isn't much, I'm afraid, to these kinds of folks. But it's all I can offer. :nonod:

The guys that I know that spend $100k on a boat don't lack knowledge or confidence.

They have, in fact, an abundance of knowledge and confidence. Hence the disposable income.

They also would never mess with the time and effort to become pilots and stay current. It isn't their passion, nor is it a good use of their time.

And they also would not be motivated by a free night in a hotel. They have all the free Hilton and Hyatt nights they could ever use, and have no desire to cash in points for a hotel stay.

I think your actual target should be guys that spend $30k on boats, or $20k on ATV's, or $25k on snowmobiles OR are young college age guys who will lean to fly, drop it for 20 years, and then come back to it.

If you could play with the database, you should sort out all pilots 35-55 years old that haven't had a medical in more than 10 years, offer them a weekend of free rooms and 8 hours flying. They would leave a current pilots, and with a passion for aviation again. And, they are the ones with the disposable income for old Cherokees and 172's, plus the time and money for $100 hamburgers and weekends at aviation themed hotels.

With that crowd it is a desire problem, they don't want it. Don't think you can change that.

The guys that I know that spend $100k on a boat don't lack knowledge or confidence.

They have, in fact, an abundance of knowledge and confidence. Hence the disposable income.

They also would never mess with the time and effort to become pilots and stay current. It isn't their passion, nor is it a good use of their time.

And they also would not be motivated by a free night in a hotel. They have all the free Hilton and Hyatt nights they could ever use, and have no desire to cash in points for a hotel stay.

I think your actual target should be guys that spend $30k on boats, or $20k on ATV's, or $25k on snowmobiles OR are young college age guys who will lean to fly, drop it for 20 years, and then come back to it.

If you could play with the database, you should sort out all pilots 35-55 years old that haven't had a medical in more than 10 years, offer them a weekend of free rooms and 8 hours flying. They would leave a current pilots, and with a passion for aviation again. And, they are the ones with the disposable income for old Cherokees and 172's, plus the time and money for $100 hamburgers and weekends at aviation themed hotels.
I agree. Your idea is more better!

Now...we need a CFI (with a plane) to partner with on this "Get current again!" package.

Here's the deal: Any snowbird CFIs (with plane) want to escape winter? Come to de island, mon, and we will make lapsed pilots current again!

You will do the work, and I will donate your first MONTH of hotel stay, free.

Anyone?

Back