How difficult to move edm700

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
How big a job would it be to move the JPI EDM 700 from the left side of the pilot's yoke to a position more visible to the right seat? It is in a Bonanza V35

How big a job would it be to move the JPI EDM 700 from the left side of the pilot's yoke to a position more visible to the right seat? It is in a Bonanza V35

Somewhere between 3 and 30 hours.

#1 Picture of the panel, cutting new hole or is one available?
#2 Does other equipment need to be relocated?
#3 Is the harness in good shape?
#4 Is the harness long enough or should it be replaced? (add lots of hours)
#5 Adequate clearance for it at the proposed location?
#6 Placarding? Powder coated panel? Paint touch up? Blah blah blah...
#7 Was it installed properly to begin with?
#8 Does everything work on the incoming run?

I've moved a lot of them. It mainly comes down to how much harness is available. I always leave enough extra under the panel when I install them to where they can be moved easily in the future.

If you have adequate harness length the other issue will be clearance with the back of the EDM 700 with the connectors plugged in and the control yoke mechanism behind the panel when the controls are pulled full aft. Generally, you can't place instruments that are as deep as a JPI 700 in the center section of a V35 Bonanza panel unless it is more towards the top of the panel.

Last edited:
The biggest issue is how much slack there is in the cables. The thing has three or four cables hanging out the back of it. Also check for clearance, the EDM is one of the longer devices sticking out the back of my panel. Amusingly when I upgraded from the 800 to the 830, it would have been a direct swap if the 830 hadn't been SHORTER than than the 800.

Back