How did you study?

Aviatrix

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Aviatrix
I have my PPL checkride next week. I flew every day this past week and have a mock checkride and another lesson next week before the big day. I'm fine with the flying part but am worrying more about the oral. I can't seem to find an effective way to study. I bought the ASA Private Oral Exam Guide and just reading it doesn't make the information stick. What worked for you? Any different websites/books/etc?

Note that the Oral exam guides (frankly John and Martha have a pretty good video as well) are really just to refresh you and make you comfortable with what is coming forward. If your instructor hasn't taught you the essentials of the information by the time you're signed off for the check ride, you are NOT going to cram it into your head with one of these books.

Study the index and bring the books to the check ride. You have to know the obvious stuff, you only have to know how to find everything else. And if you can't find something fess up and say wow I'd have to ask my instructor. Then shut up and learn as the examiner has something he wants to teach you. He'd rather you learn his pet lesson then fail you for stupid details. If you can talk to someone who did a recent check ride with the same guy that can be very helpful.

Note that the Oral exam guides (frankly John and Martha have a pretty good video as well) are really just to refresh you and make you comfortable with what is coming forward. If your instructor hasn't taught you the essentials of the information by the time you're signed off for the check ride, you are NOT going to cram it into your head with one of these books.

However, I have found that the oral exam guide is a good reference for facts that MAY be questioned during your oral exam. What usually happens is that your instructor is familiar with the DPE and should have quizzed you on emphasis areas and on areas on which your DPE is known to focus. Reading the exam guide is good, and if you have it memorized there is no question but that you'd ace the oral (as long as you don't screw up the situational questions that force you to put everything together).

If your instructor conducted the required oral exam review session and signed you off for your checkride, you are probably ready. Use the book to help fill in gaps. The DPE won't ask you everything in the book!

Having a working knowledge of the FAR/AIM is good. Mark up your FAR/AIM with information that you have trouble memorizing (required items for VFR flight, anyone?) and use the flags / stickynotes to quickly find information.

Use the book to help fill in gaps. The DPE won't ask you everything in the book!

Having a working knowledge of the FAR/AIM is good. Mark up your FAR/AIM with information that you have trouble memorizing (required items for VFR flight, anyone?) and use the flags / stickynotes to quickly find information.

Thanks. I think I'm getting thrown by some of the more nitpicky FARs that haven't been covered in general knowledge. My CFI has quizzed me a lot and when I talked to him about some question confusing me about the equipment inop regulation he told me just focus more on the airspace and all the speeds etc for the plane.

He's talking to someone who recently did a checkride with the DPE this weekend so we'll go over that Monday.

I have my PPL checkride next week. I flew every day this past week and have a mock checkride and another lesson next week before the big day. I'm fine with the flying part but am worrying more about the oral. I can't seem to find an effective way to study. I bought the ASA Private Oral Exam Guide and just reading it doesn't make the information stick. What worked for you? Any different websites/books/etc?

While the ASA Exam book is helpful with regard to much of the raw information that you should know...it is pretty much useless for the way oral exams are actually conducted, which is scenario based.

Get with someone who knows the DPE's style of conducting the checkride, and have them put you through a realistic mock oral exam.

The DPE will be having a friendly chat with you while at the same time evaluating your PRACTICAL application of the knowledge. Are you legal and safe for today's flight? Add in scenarios. Is the aircraft legal and safe for today's flight? Again, add in scenarios. Now let's talk about our cross country flight for today. Add in scenarios.

FWIW, my checkride prep with students usually lasts anywhere from 3 to 4 hours. The actual oral will run about 1.5 tops. My goal is for the student to always report back that the exam with the DPE was WAY easier than getting through my prep session. :D

Mike

Study the PTS start to finish, making notes in the margin. Then do your entire flight plan. Pick some day before the checkride, and pretend you're flying your plan that day. Print out all your weather and study it.

Now pretend you're the DPE, put your finger on the start of the route, and quiz yourself along the entire route; airspace, terrain, symbology, required equipment, diversion procedures, etc.

Then go over the PTS once more, thinking about how it applies to the flight you just planned.

Then go take your checkride. :)

Mike B's advice is spot on. Get really grilled during the mock oral exam and mock checkride as your "shakedown" cruise and to get over the nerves of the event. Then when it happens for real, you and the DPE can find your groove and as said, it becomes more of a 1.5-1.7 hour conversation about flying and where you might be going on your next cross country flight.

For areas in the PTS you're weak on, get some 3x5 note cards and make up some flash cards. Creating the question and writing down the details will be chance to review items like TOMATO FLAMES (required equipment) and Airspace visibility minimums. Hand these cards to your kids or spouse and make it a fun game show for them, something like "Stump the Pilot". It's a neat way for you to review and it makes it engaging and fun for them.

Look at the questions you missed on the written and study those subjects, because that's what the oral's composed of. ;)

Last edited:
I had the same problem...just reading something doesn't stick in my brain. I am very visual learner. Here are three videos that helped me a lot to get prepared...

Last edited:
I posted those videos several times over the past few months as I was getting close to my checkride. The first one is easy to find on youtube...the other two you have to search a little harder. :)

For me, it was just continual studying for almost 9 months. I wasn't worried about memorizing stuff like TOMATO FLAMES. In fact, my DPE when asked about MEL stuff said, "I'm so glad you didn't say TOMATO FLAMES." I just said a few that I knew offhand and as I was saying those opened my FAR/AIM to the place I had bookmarked and read the rest. It's an open book test, to a degree of course, take advantage of that. I found myself looking stuff up even when I knew the answer just in case we got deeper into the conversation as my DPE was a very reg oriented guy and was ALL about the PTS. He liked that I knew where to find everything - quickly. Take advantage of that.

Nothing is better than going in prepared. You know when you've done what you need to do and are ready to go. I know most folks feel like there's always something - and there is - but I think people know when it's time. When you go in with confidence - not arrogance - it makes a huge impression on the DPE. I guarantee you they would tell you that they know within the first 5 minutes how the Oral is going to end. Don't screw up that first impression. Have your logbook squared away, know everything about the engine logs - have that stuff bookmarked, etc... If it's ugly in the first 5-10 mins it's going to rattle you.

Check my post history - I did a long write up on my checkride several weeks ago. Even though I didn't miss a single question on my oral (well, not one that any PPL candidate should know...they'll take you deep into a few subjects to see what you really know) it lasted somewhere around 2.5 hours total. He covered EVERYTHING on the PTS - almost reading down the list asking questions.

Just really understand the concepts and don't spend all your time trying to memorize this stuff. Another example for me was hypoxia. What a huge waste of time/brain cells trying to memorize each and every type and the associated symptoms. I just knew all the various symptoms that could exacerbate hypoxia (alchohol, medication, etc...) and when asked about it - talked through it logically. It's a practical test - how do you take book information and apply it 'practically'. Are you going to remember any of those specific hypoxia types 2 days after the checkride? I won't. But I remember the context and honestly, what's important about hypoxia - which isn't the clicnical definition names.

So, just be prepared to have a very detailed aviation discussion. Almost every question my DPE asked me I answered with context to safety and decision making.

Finally, I wouldn't try to cram the night before or day of. I almost didn't look at anything the night before - besides putting together my XC and as others mentioned really thinking about any question he could ask about airspace, obstacles, special use area's, etc...

Even though my DPE was a hard-ass, I enjoyed the day. It was a challenge and I didn't want or expect it to be easy. I would have been dissapointed I think if it would have been. Ask questions, they love it. After all, every DPE has likely spent a decade or more of his life teaching. They are smart folks with a ton of experience. I asked a lot of questions during my oral and checkride and I learned a lot.

Best of luck to you!! Look forward to your write up!

get an oral guide and ask you instructor to do a mock oral. i did a mock checkride/stage check with the chief flight instructor and it included the oral part in which he just looked at the oral guide and asked me questions before we did the flying part

Don't worry about it. Most, if not all examiners are interested in your broad knowledge of aviation for a PPL, not nailing you on specific FARs. Most use it as a learning experience and teaching tool. If your CFI says you are ready go. You'll do fine. ;)

Aside from the manuals and PTS stuff I always did well with Flash Cards. I would not recommend buying a set as I feel half the benefit comes from making them.

Fill them out in sections; FARs, limitations, speeds, ect. I color coded mine. Start out in order and work through the deck. After awhile you burn right through it. When your consistently breezing through it then shuffle the deck up and do it again. When you can get through a shuffled deck consistently you got it.

Be aware this is a bit of rote learning but in the beginning that's a fine place to start. Besides, it leads to understanding and correlation. I've found the technique to work great for things like check rides where you know you're going to be asked a bunch of memorized information.

She has a week folks, my new advice: Stop reading internet flying message boards relax and don't worry about the checkride.

Use the "Great Teacher."

320x240.jpg

Last edited:
What I did was type the key information. It took about five single spaced pages. Whenever I could, I would read through this. Then I decided to record it (at that time on cassette), and then play it as I drove to the airport (which was a one hour drive) and returned from the airport.

But the advice given several times in previous posts is best: find those who took a checkride from the same individual, ask them what types of questions he asked, and focus on those. Or, talk to you CFI, who should have debriefed his previous students, and should have a good idea of what questions will be asked. Usually, the oral of a checkride focuses on the vital few and not the trivial many.

I had the same problem...just reading something doesn't stick in my brain. I am very visual learner. Here are three videos that helped me a lot to get prepared...

I am chuckling here.....the first video is Alan Englehardt, the former Chairman of Chicago Executive Airport, with a ton of other credentials including being a DPE in the Chicago area, and a member of my flying club.

The lady in the third video is Leslie Henninger, a DPE in the Chicago area and most likely (good chance anyway) the DPE that I will take my instrument ride with. I have met them both, very nice people, and extremely knowledgable.

If you have an IPAD or IPHONE, get the Private Pilot checkride App by ASA. I got it about 1 week before my checkride and it really showed me my weak points and was much easier to use to study for me than reading the books.

Something that's worked for me in the past was to cut and paste the PTS items into a Word document. I would then type up answers to each section in my own words. If there were items that I couldn't retrieve from my head, it would force me to look up the info.

I'm fine with the flying part but am worrying more about the oral. I can't seem to find an effective way to study. I bought the ASA Private Oral Exam Guide and just reading it doesn't make the information stick. What worked for you? Any different websites/books/etc?

Another option would be the Gold Seal Oral Exam Summary audio CD. You can find it at most dealers or can get it here: http://www.goldsealflight.com/store/courses

Hopefully, your CFI is well familiar with the DPE you plan to use. Each has his/her own pet issues. It would be good to find out if there are any specific areas your DPE likes to focus on. If your CFI doesn't know, ask him to call the DPE and ask in advance.

As others have said...

Get a good brief from a CFI (maybe not your CFI) who has put folks through the DPE you're going to use.

Read the PTS (ALL of it)

Know what is a need to know item (v speeds, weather mins and airspace, etc) and know what you don't need to know and can look up (min equipment, NTSB, etc).

Tab the chit out of your FAR/AIM

Be sure to bring donughts to the ride too.

21 replies and no one has mentioned papyrus, zippers, or audio recordings?

Tab your PTS, then go throw it on the ground and stomp on it a little bit.

I've had 4 check rides, and I've done that for all of them!

Something that's worked for me in the past was to cut and paste the PTS items into a Word document. I would then type up answers to each section in my own words. If there were items that I couldn't retrieve from my head, it would force me to look up the info.

I did something like this for a few of my checkrides and think it's a good idea. If you can't explain something in the PTS, the time to figure that out is before the exam, not in the middle of it.

However, if you're going to do this, be careful that you aren't just listing off facts for each item. You do need to know the facts, but you also need to be able to apply them. For example, rattling off the symptoms of hypoxia isn't so useful if you can't explain when you'd be likely to suffer from it and how you should deal with it if it occurs. And that's not going to help you much either if you can't apply that to your proposed flight and make a decision on whether it will impact you, how to mitigate the risk, and what your options are if you experience it at any point in the flight.

One of the easiest ways to find out if you can apply all the various knowledge is to have a competent instructor go through a practice oral with you. A good instructor can present you with the same type of scenario based testing the DPE is supposed to use. That should determine which areas you're weak on.

Im sure when you do your mock check ride your cfi will drill you on questions he thinks the dpe will ask you. Plus you passed the written, know all your recommended PPL Oral check ride checklists tells you, and you will be fine i did mine a few months ago now and it was really not as big of a deal as i thought however i felt like iwaas like lucky. who knows though just study everything know everything and you will be fine but he told me what a lot of people explained on here, "they are not looking for perfect just safe"

Back