How did you decide your display name?

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
Display names can mean different things to different people. Regular names can be fairly straight-forward and have little variation in interpretation. But, for others, a display name can invoke widely different perceptions. Some seem appropriately suited to aviation and I think Mr. "Bounces Three Times" is quite fitting. But, maybe my perception is different than intended.

So, how did you come up with your display name?

I don't use a regular name, so I chose something nearby that I like. Here is a photo of Skidoo bay that I took a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• HLR_9230 (Small).JPG
    HLR_9230 (Small).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 25
I hate inventing problems just to work out a solution. Life is too short.

My dad named his seven kids so all their initials were either J. M. L. or G. M. L.

Actually, I lied. My real name is Joseph John, but I'm a Junior, so my parents had to come up with some way of differentiating me from my dad.

For a long time, I was "J.J.", but it became absolutely imperative to ditch that name when that stupid TV show -- "The Governor and J.J." -- came out in 1969.

J.J. was a GIRL. :yikes: Not good, when you're an 11 year old boy! :lol:

So, "Jay" became the label that stuck.

testing

edit>
a self-awareness test......which I apparently failed!

Graueradler = Gray Eagle in German. I fly, I am gray, I have a German background, I have Native American ancestors.

Maybe I should have selected a more appropriate bird, like a sparrow (Spatz), but I didn't.

Just decided not to use my given name, Hugh Jass.

I don't care what everyone else sez 'bout you, yer alright!

as for the name, well, er, um, the A&P named it and I fly it. And that's all there is to that story.

Last edited:
it's an aviation video project

Although "Oakland Arrow" would technically be more correct, "Sacramento Arrow" flows better and it's close enough. Plus, With the possible exception of Del Paso Heights, it doesn't have quite the stigma that Oakland has, being that both Gangsta rap and the Hell's Angels originated in Oakland.

And I fly an Arrow.

When we bought a new car in 1984 my wife coined a personalized license plate that combined "pilot" and "law". The car and plate are long gone, but the name stuck.

pilawt_plate.jpg

J.J. was a GIRL. :yikes: Not good, when you're an 11 year old boy! :lol:

So, "Jay" became the label that stuck.

I know what you mean. I was called Jamey when young and for ,maybe part of 1st and 2nd grade. Then the Six Million Dollar Woman, starring Jamie Summers hit the TV and I couldn't take the teasing. I switched to James which everyone just shortened to Jim.

I dont recall where/when I started using this username, but it always seems to be available :)

Because iFlyTwins. :)

Pretty sure everyone on here knows my bias...

After my brother died, I promised to be there for his children and their children. Shortly after that time, I needed an online persona that was unrelated to my work, so I chose the name that reminded me most of that promise. From time to time, I've lived up to the promise, so the name has stuck.

When I signed up I just tried things until one wasn't taken.

Henning: Taken
Cap'n Ron: Taken
Rotor&Wing: Taken
DenverPilot: Taken
AuntPeggy: Taken

Captain: who'd a thunk? Available.

Seriously, I just sat for a minute and tried to think of something. Captain was the first I tried and it was accepted.

When I first tried to sign up for a Yahoo account, many years ago, I tried to use "John", but it was already taken (imagine that). It suggested that I use John221us and I have, ever since.

First Name + "call sign" from military flying

Bill is common for William,
TIS is spelling for first part of last name, but pronounced Tiz, so call sign was "TIZ"

Graueradler = Gray Eagle in German. I fly, I am gray, I have a German background, I have Native American ancestors.

Maybe I should have selected a more appropriate bird, like a sparrow (Spatz), but I didn't.
Ha!! All this time I've been reading that as "gray rider". That made sense to me... also gray (at least partly), have a Harley and drink Radler, which we discovered when we were in Germany.

When I first tried to sign up for a Yahoo account, many years ago, I tried to use "John", but it was already taken (imagine that). It suggested that I use John221us and I have, ever since.

Way to bow to Yahoo! At least it wasn't AOL.

My display name is self-explanatory.

As for my User ID "flightwriter," it's what I do. I used to use "aerowriter" when I worked at Aero-News, but after I left, I wanted something that was separate from any association with Zoomland.

Unfortunately for me, both aerowriter and flightwriter have already been taken by others for business purposes, so I've fallen back on using my name. While the name "Finfrock" was definitely a liability throughout grade school, it's a good name to have in business. Very few of us are out there!

When I first joined the Babes, I had to come up with a screen name. After a bit of head scratching, I just picked my favorite color. Since then, it sorta stuck. :)

Mine comes from a job I had on my first ship in the Navy as a Helo Control Officer (basically a tower controller for helos).

Our ship call sign was Fearless Warrior, so our ATC call signs were based on that....Fearless Warrior Tower/Control...etc.

After the initial call up, we usually shortened it to Fearless Tower.

So I adopted that as my handle on aviation related forums.

Mine comes from a job I had on my first ship in the Navy as a Helo Control Officer (basically a tower controller for helos).

Our ship call sign was Fearless Warrior, so our ATC call signs were based on that....Fearless Warrior Tower/Control...etc.

After the initial call up, we usually shortened it to Fearless Tower.

So I adopted that as my handle on aviation related forums.

So, you were on the USS Donald Cook (DDG-75)? I pre commissioned the USS Benfold (DDG-65). That makes me a bonifide 'plank owner'.

Small world.

So, you were on the USS Donald Cook (DDG-75)? I pre commissioned the USS Benfold (DDG-65). That makes me a bonifide 'plank owner'.

Small world.

Yep, I think I missed being a plank owner by about a year, but I did get to make the first two deployments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I first needed a screen-name for online bulletin boards, I had just returned from a trip to Moscow in September. They have centralized heating there for the city -- heat comes from a power plant that pipes hot water under the streets to the radiators in each building. Until the city turns on the heat, nobody gets any. It was below freezing at night, and my hotel room had no blanket. Just a sheet. I supplemented that with the flimsy towel from the bathroom, and wore all my clothes when I slept. Somehow this experience was stuck in my mind a week or so later when I logged into an online bulletin board and needed a screen name - so I became NoHeat.

Yep, I think I missed being a plank owner by about a year, but I did get to make the first two deployments.

Tell ya what I know about your boat. It was built by Ingalls Ship Yard in wonderful Pascagulla Mississippi. We used to ride our BMWs every weekend. Btw, 'BMW' stands for 'Big Mississippi Women'!

There was a 'suds and duds' just outside the main gate of the shipyard. Best idea I've ever seen. A bar with a laundymat right inside! We'd drink and wash clothes and chase girls all in one spot. Pascagulla girls love the Navy. Go watch 'Officer and a Gentelamn' and step it down to enlisted and you'll know exactly what I mean.

Like I said...small world.

Plank owner isn't a time thing...it's a 'what you did' thing. Honestly, all those pubs and doctrines, and policy didn't write themselves. We had to pilfer and approve each and every document on that boat to make it run. It was a ton of hard work...while living on a bardge.

Because I live in SW Florida.

Tell ya what I know about your boat. It was built by Ingalls Ship Yard in wonderful Pascagulla Mississippi. We used to ride our BMWs every weekend. Btw, 'BMW' stands for 'Big Mississippi Women'!

There was a 'suds and duds' just outside the main gate of the shipyard. Best idea I've ever seen. A bar with a laundymat right inside! We'd drink and wash clothes and chase girls all in one spot. Pascagulla girls love the Navy. Go watch 'Officer and a Gentelamn' and step it down to enlisted and you'll know exactly what I mean.

Like I said...small world.

Huh? Big Don was Bath built. In fact, if you find a copy of the book The Yard, it was written about BIW at the same time that the ship was being built.

I went to college in Maine....we had our own BMWs....Big Maine Womens...warmth in the wintah...shade in the summah.

Cavmedic= my last enlistment prior to medical retirement was a medic in a Calvary Squadron

Qamakazi = I have a nickname at work as QAMSOLO or QAMMY. As in Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. That is how digital TV signals are modulated. When I started flying one of the guys made a comment about not ****ing me off or I'll start dive bombing the sat dishes. Then another guy chimed in and said " that would make him a QAMAKAZI " then.

Back