How did you decide your display name?

I have been "alfadog" on the internet for at least 15 years. Some folks mistakenly think I am claiming to be the Alpha dog as in lead dog but actually it is from Alfa Romeo (I have owned at least a dozen of them) and, well, dog. Owned a dozen or more of them too. LOL. Though the one that associates in my mind with my handle is my departed Bear that had his head out the window of my modified Alfetta GT at 117 mph. It would go faster but that was redline in 5th gear. It had a hot engine but was still geared stock.

Last edited:
I had used FlyingRon in other non-aviation forums so it seemed logical to use it here.
Actually back in the old usenet rec.aviation days, Wattanja and I used to both referred to our self as "the other Ron."

Huh? Big Don was Bath built. In fact, if you find a copy of the book The Yard, it was written about BIW at the same time that the ship was being built.

I went to college in Maine....we had our own BMWs....Big Maine Womens...warmth in the wintah...shade in the summah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Huh...

At the time the Benfold (DDG-65) was built Bath did all the even numbers while Ingalls did all the odd numbers. Based on that I assumed DDG-75 would be Ingalls built.

Guess they changed it up at some point. That's what I get for 'assuming'.

BTW, the USS Cole (DDG-67) was the ship that got bombed in Yeman. It was the boat right behind mine on the assembly line at Ingalls, although their crew hadn't showed up yet.

Last edited:
My wife calls me Yoda, but, that on-line name is usually taken. So, in the spirit of Citabria (Airbatic, backwards), I use Adoy, when online.

When I first joined the Babes, I had to come up with a screen name. After a bit of head scratching, I just picked my favorite color. Since then, it sorta stuck. :)

A color? Huh. Who woulda thunk it? :)

I'm always losing my car keys.

Geoffrey Thorpe followed me here from a long time ago.

Light and Sporty Guy, because that's what the FAA thinks I am in spite the fact that I am an old fat geezer.

Mine was the name of an old computer system at mission control houston where I worked for 8 years

It's just my first name with an "a" in front to give it an aviation-related spelling without changing the pronunciation.

my user ID is who I am.

The display name changes frequently. The i thing became fun once I got apple products.

At my old unit we used many different terms to describe what we did. Uncle Sam's Lawn Darts = Airborne Infantry. I always thought this was a subtle and funny way to explain what I did to people who didn't understand the term "Infantry."
Airborne Johnny makes sense to me because I grew up around aviation. My dad worked for the Port Authority NY NJ at EWR, and we have a garage filled with memorabilia from 1930's on. My head has always been in the clouds:D

At my old unit we used many different terms to describe what we did. Uncle Sam's Lawn Darts = Airborne Infantry. I always thought this was a subtle and funny way to explain what I did to people who didn't understand the term "Infantry."
Airborne Johnny makes sense to me because I grew up around aviation. My dad worked for the Port Authority NY NJ at EWR, and we have a garage filled with memorabilia from 1930's on. My head has always been in the clouds:D

Wow, I might know your dad. I was in a high school work study program with the Port at EWR in 1983 working with electricians. I worked a summer job with the gardeners and was hired as an electrician in 1986.

I left EWR in 1994 to work at other Port Authority facilities. I just made my 26 year as an employee!

What dept. is / was he in?

Oh by the way, The Redtails are my heroes and "Legend" is what my nephew called me after congratulating me on my Port Authority anniversary last month:rofl:

Last edited:
Well, I usually have most of my usernames as some variation of "Mr. Cheese." In this case, I am a Mr. Gruyère, a tasty cheese out of a region in Switzerland of the same name. Despite that region being predominantly French-speaking, I elected to take the standard German word for mister.

My display name is simply Pistol Pete, because that's one of my nicknames.

I raced motorcycles for a few years. The name of the team was

<<<<

That's the first name that I thought of when I registered here.

It's a play on words from race 'Season' and the name of a semi-popular 90's band that I liked.

Only if they wash out early. If they wash out late in the program, probably have to call them RedFog or Missing.

The final exam ---->
picture.php

Used rectal data base.

546 on a telephone keypad spells K-I-M which was my "handle" or "pager code sign off" in high school. Before cell phones, and text messages, there were PAGERS. About $3 per month, came in candy colors, and we had "codes" for messages.

546 on a telephone keypad spells K-I-M which was my "handle" or "pager code sign off" in high school. Before cell phones, and text messages, there were PAGERS. About $3 per month, came in candy colors, and we had "codes" for messages.

When I was in high school, only drug dealers had pagers.....

No particular reason. I wasn't feeling terribly creative when I joined. Sometimes I use the names of my dogs, but I wasn't sure how Boris would come across.

It was the only thing I could come up with that didn't have a triple digit number behind it on Ebay when I first signed up. Haven't seen any reason to change it since.

It's the dog's name.

And one of the funniest lines Sean Connery ever spoke in a movie.

I had just recently bought a Dodge Challenger and came up with "Challenged" for a car oriented website that I had just joined; I liked it, so I just used it here too.

I received a discovery flight as a birthday gift from my wife awhile back. After that flight, she asked me if I enjoyed it or if the small plane made me airsick. My reply to her: "I'm actually land sick for not being able to do this more often."

Since then, I've been planning flying lessons and every possible obstacle has gotten in my way. Medical issues, kids off to college, a new small business and a career change. 3.4 hours logged in a little under 2 years. The sickness continues.

Since then, I've been planning flying lessons and every possible obstacle has gotten in my way. Medical issues, kids off to college, a new small business and a career change. 3.4 hours logged in a little under 2 years. The sickness continues.

Get healthy first. But the rest... you just have to make the time.

The people who care about you, family, customers, bosses, co-workers, tend to adapt when you're chasing "life dreams"... as long as you reciprocate when they're chasing theirs. Some will even go out of their way to help when schedule gets jammed up.

Our "always on, always working" society is still fairly understanding of the need to have a "real life" sometimes. And if you have any folks around you who can't/won't put up with you living the life you want, it's a very effective way to find out.

Get 'er Done! No one on their deathbed is going to wish for a few more hours working.

Woodstock: Flying bird. Blonde, to boot.

ps. the real story is that my CFI called me that when I was first starting out. I just kind of burbled all over the place.

I'm a deputy sheriff and my department has patrol split into two teams - A and B. A team works Wednesday through Saturday, the busier side of the week, which is what I always liked. There is a rivalry between the teams and a lot of A teamers talk it up from time to time. I used ateamer at the first forum I used back in 2000.

I found out several years later that Army Special Forces has units called A teams. I was never in any branch of the service and no one should interpret my user name as being a poser.

And after close to 24 years as a deputy, my body is saying it's time to get away from the patrol action. Injuries are taking a real toll. Patrol is a young man's game.

Back