How dangerous is it?

I'll take the one on the port engine, thank you

you-chose-wisely.jpg

Are we to understand the OP is an instructor?

I have no clue, but it’s usually instructors that will jump in with anyone to build hours. He might be, he might not be.

I’m flying with him because he’s a friend and he likes to have company. I wanted to get feedback before I made him uncomfortable about it.
Just tell him what makes you uncomfortable. Don't get too preachy about it or tell him it's unsafe, just tell him you don't like it. If he keeps it up, then he doesn't really want the company that badly.

I’m flying with him because he’s a friend and he likes to have company. I wanted to get feedback before I made him uncomfortable about it.

Again, you don’t have to fly with this guy. It’s your choice.

If your not a CFI, just find yourself busy whenever he wants to fly and have a good CFI you can recommend that would fill the right seat and handle it appropriately. Or just straight up tell him your uncomfortable with his techniques and would prefer not to fly with him any longer.

Whether you like it or not, your opinion of his performance and decision making doesn’t really matter to anyone other than you, unless your acting in the capacity of a CFI, DPE, or ASI.

All that matters is if you feel he’s unsafe, then don’t put yourself in the cockpit with him.

POA is such a diverse crowd. In one thread we are complaining that “safety sucks” and remembering with fondness our somewhat dangerous childhoods, and in this thread we are bemoaning an older gentleman for doing 20° bank.

Come on folks it’s just 20°!

POA is such a diverse crowd. In one thread we are complaining that “safety sucks” and remembering with fondness our somewhat dangerous childhoods, and in this thread we are bemoaning an older gentleman for doing 20° bank.

Come on folks it’s just 20°!

And it's 2018! But time doesn't change POA! No sir!

I know when doing pattern work, I've been known to snap a crosswind turn a time or two. But I always make sure my airspeed is good and my altitude is 500 AGL and my bank doesn't exceed 30 degrees. It's fun to pick a heading 90 degrees to the left or right, snap the wings into the turn and snap them back right on heading.

well ya....but this is internet drama....just play along now. :D
Only drama is that which was manufactured after the OP. I asked a simple question to level set myself. The OP is exactly the opposite of drama and it's point was to avoid unnecessary drama.

Only drama is that which was manufactured after the OP. I asked a simple question to level set myself. The OP is exactly the opposite of drama and it's point was to avoid unnecessary drama.

But you know what happens to threads on POA Salty. At least they're pretty much on subject from your original post.

When I was a young and a thought I knew it all flight instructor, there was a guy that I would fly with occasionally. He was 80, 81 at the time and said it wasn't worth trying to get a medical.

He was a AAF pilot in WWII, shot down in January 1945 in France, evaded capture until he met up with friendly troops and ended up flying a light observation plane for that unit. The plane was a German Fieseler Storch that was liberated by the British.

He also flew jets in Korea, getting damaged twice by ground fire but making it back to his base both times. The last plane he flew for the AF was the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. All he said about that was it was an exciting plane to fly.

He was not as sharp of a pilot as I am sure he was years earlier. He flew fine for his age and approaches were not as stable as I would have liked, but he never, never banged it in. All landings were light as a feather. And he held heading and altitude better than any of my students.

He was born and raised in West Virginia and like so many others of the time, the war took him out of state for the first time. And once away from home it kept him out of the coal mines.

I flew with him because the time we flew together was probably the last times he got to fly.

Ok, so here's the part I was missing. Even if it was a 30 degree bank, which I don't think it was, it's only raising the stall speed to 51-ish mph. I still think it's a silly thing to do at treetop level, but it's not worth making a fuss over. I'll probably just ask him not to do it and he can make fun of me about it. ;)

Ok, so here's the part I was missing. Even if it was a 30 degree bank, which I don't think it was, it's only raising the stall speed to 51-ish mph. I still think it's a silly thing to do at treetop level, but it's not worth making a fuss over. I'll probably just ask him not to do it and he can make fun of me about it. ;)
Then again, maybe I'm not so silly.... 8 mph from stall is pushing it too much for my tastes. With the two of us and full fuel we're pretty much at gross.

Screenshot 2018-01-02 19.42.42.png

Power off stall speed is 57 mph at 20* of bank. So if you're climbing at Vy (somewhere around 75 mph?) with power, you have a hefty margin above stall.

Then again, maybe I'm not so silly.... 8 mph from stall is pushing it too much for my tastes. With the two of us and full fuel we're pretty much at gross.

View attachment 58969

Have you not noticed how much slower stall speed is at full power vs. power off? The numbers you posted are power off. You're climbing at full power. This fellow was nowhere near causing a problem unless he also yanked back on the yoke while being severely skidded. You seem to be in student pilot mode, which is good for ensuring you understand the book concepts, but I think your perspective on this will shift with experience, assuming you're giving us the full story- which is just a 20 deg banked turn low on climb out?? I assume you have not yet done any dedicated unusual attitude and spin training. Those who have not are often excessively concerned about getting too close to their perceived edge of the flight envelope. It is great training and will give you more confidence.

Have you not noticed how much slower stall speed is at full power vs. power off? The numbers you posted are power off. You're climbing at full power. This fellow was nowhere near causing a problem unless he also yanked back on the yoke while being severely skidded. You seem to be in student pilot mode, which is good for ensuring you understand the book concepts, but I think your perspective on this will shift with experience, assuming you're giving us the full story- which is just a 20 deg banked turn low on climb out?? I assume you have not yet done any dedicated unusual attitude and spin training. Those who have not are often excessively concerned about getting too close to their perceived edge of the flight envelope. It is great training and will give you more confidence.
And aft cg.

Back