How crazy is buying a 60 year old 172...

And not having seen it, you know that its actually in any condition to be flying how exactly?
Do a preflight, you as a pilot can declare it safe to fly. you can't declare airworthiness.

There sure is a lot of hyperbole being tossed about here.

I feel I'm capable of inspecting a 1960s 172 and determining the overall condition. I would defer to the judgement of an A&P concerning certain items, but it's just not that complicated. In two hours I could decide whether it was worth taking an $8K throw.

While I have this confidence because I have had the good fortune of being a mechanic on racing vehicles where a driver depended my skills and judgement while they were driving at speeds of 230 MPH (Indy) and 420 MPH (Bonneville), I think anyone with some mechanical aptitude could inspect something as simple as a straight tail 172 and decide if it's worth pursuing further.

A 172 isn't an unexploded bomb or a mechanical pocket watch. Some posters have made comments which infer the airplane could kill them just by looking at it.

In reality, a two hour inspection by anyone with some mechanical knowledge using a screwdriver to remove access panels and taking the time to remove some interior bits will yield 75% of the information required to make a decision about such a simple aircraft.

Well said - specific to 172s I've heard the structure above the cabin, behind the headliner, is a refuge for undiscovered corrision, and a location where treatment was sometimes skipped, or skimpy. Heard some shock and awe in discovery, when they've gone in for a new interior.

But I don't think there is a history of them folding the wings in flight, either - just damaged beynd economical repair. Personal, subjective preference for me is I'd want to see that structure, vice being a "lead the force" opreator, and the guy that discovered the reason for the AD.

Well said - specific to 172s I've heard the structure above the cabin, behind the headliner, is a refuge for undiscovered corrision, and a location where treatment was sometimes skipped, or skimpy. Heard some shock and awe in discovery, when they've gone in for a new interior.

But I don't think there is a history of them folding the wings in flight, either - just damaged beynd economical repair. Personal, subjective preference for me is I'd want to see that structure, vice being a "lead the force" opreator, and the guy that discovered the reason for the AD.
there are a couple places that the 170 early 172 that are soft spots.
The forward spar carry thru is a must inspect It is very easy to do. there are 5 large rivets that attach the upper door post to the spar carry thru, if you got problems these rivets will be corroded and loose. jab them with a flat blade screwdriver they should be solid.
The rear cabin bulkhead where the cabin upholstery is glued the glue was corrosive.
The gear box area for distorted skin (wrinkles)and the PeePonk mod.

Thanks for all the insight, thought and feedback. Trying to make this deal happen this week and post about the result :)

Well! The owner has decided he doesn’t want to make the deal after all, feels that he can get twice the price all of a sudden so I’m out!

On to the next one! It looks like it might be titled how crazy is buying a 59 year old 210 :)

Back