How Cool.... Red Bull Air Race in Detroit

It's a must-see for any pilot... I caught the races in San Diego last summer- between the races and the mini-airshow, it was very cool. :yes:

Agreed about the must see. I went to Monument Valley last year and it was amazing!!!

That's the weekend before Gaston's.

So Missa, we need to figure out the details of our trip to see this. Yes, we. You don't think you're going to get away with me not coming, do you? :)

I'd bet we could find a good sum of people from here who wanted to go, maybe take my bus...

That's the weekend before Gaston's.

So Missa, we need to figure out the details of our trip to see this. Yes, we. You don't think you're going to get away with me not coming, do you? :)

I'd bet we could find a good sum of people from here who wanted to go, maybe take my bus...

Additionally there are 6 places to sleep at my mom's and all the floor space you can want at Ron's house ('cause you know it will not sell by then!). We can sleep an army. The bus would be nice. The big thing is that it's a Cassie weekend so I either am going solo or I have to work around when we can get Cassie and when we have to get her back. I was considering flying but Shane, Cassie and I will hardly have room for clothes in the archer if we go and no room for Ted.

Missa

Last edited:
I was considering flying but Shane, Cassie and I will hardly have room for clothes in the archer if we go and no room for Ted.

But I fit easily into most overhead storage bins! :(

The bus may be the most logical means of transport. We'll see how many we can get from this area...

How many overhead storage bins do you find in an Archer?

You could just strap me to the roof in my motorcycle gear. The Archer is slow enough that I've ridden my motorcycle faster. ;)

Hey Missa

Have you made any more plans for the air race? I am thinking about coming. What is the best way to get there? Do you have to buy tickets in advance?

Linda

Info and Tix at http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Not sure about the best way to get there and we haven't finilized anything. I have the Archer reserved and Cassie and Shane elected not to come. Ted is still going but I have no idea how we will get there. If by archer I'll be flying into Mettatal and borrowing Moms car to get around. It will be in downtown on the riverfront.

I know that Leslie and I would like to attend; never having been to anything like this before. We'll have to see how it fits with Leslie's schedule!

There is talk about an air race being in Missouri.;)

Info and Tix at http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Not sure about the best way to get there and we haven't finilized anything. I have the Archer reserved and Cassie and Shane elected not to come. Ted is still going but I have no idea how we will get there. If by archer I'll be flying into Mettatal and borrowing Moms car to get around. It will be in downtown on the riverfront.

I'm thinking about going. I'll probably be near Traverse City that weekend anyway so Detroit is little more than an hour away. I'm hoping I can find someone with a boat to watch the race from while floating on the river, assuming that's allowed (can't see how they could close the river). I used to live on a canal off Lake St. Clair and that's the way we used to view the fireworks display launched from a barge in the river. Saw one or two unlimited Hyroplane races the same way.

I'm thinking about going. I'll probably be near Traverse City that weekend anyway so Detroit is little more than an hour away. I'm hoping I can find someone with a boat to watch the race from while floating on the river, assuming that's allowed (can't see how they could close the river). I used to live on a canal off Lake St. Clair and that's the way we used to view the fireworks display launched from a barge in the river. Saw one or two unlimited Hyroplane races the same way.

If you find an extra couple of seats in a boat let me know... that sounds like one of the better ways to see the race!

Hi Guys! Thanks for supporting the Red Bull Air Race World Series in Detroit. Telling everyone you know and coming down to the race will help us bring the race back. Detroit Air Racing is the group who submitted the winning proposal to Red Bull, and we appreciate your support by purchasing your tickets through our website.. www.detroitairracing.com

Thanks again.. See you all on race days!!

JR

Well, Leslie and I have booked the 182 to head over there, and will be staying at the Livonia Marriott. Only tickets left seem to be on the Windsor (Canada) side. Unfortunately, Leslie has a flight out of ORD Sunday night to Allentown (KABE), so we need to get back for that. If she misses her outbound flight, United is saying she cannot use the return ticket! :( We're looking into alternatives now.

Last edited:
I will be in YIP (Ann Arbor, MI) area from Wednesday to Sunday that week. We plan on being that the race and then flying home also. If you guys show up, give me a hollar.

I went to buy tix, but they're all sold out! PM Sent. If anyone else is willing to part with a pair, please let me know!

Thanks!! A good friend of mine that flies scenic tours in Arizona turned me onto the site.

*** I just found out my kids ( who I have to say are THE BEST) got me tickets for my birthday.

I've never flown into the Detroit area so I'm looking any suggestions on the best airport and route from Minneapolis.

Initially I'm planning a stop in the Chicago area and then on to Detroit and I'll file IFR both legs.

In Chicago I've been into Aurora and couple of times and Clow once. Both were a couple of years back.

Any thought appreciated!

Mike

*** I just found out my kids ( who I have to say are THE BEST) got me tickets for my birthday.

I've never flown into the Detroit area so I'm looking any suggestions on the best airport and route from Minneapolis.

Initially I'm planning a stop in the Chicago area and then on to Detroit and I'll file IFR both legs.

In Chicago I've been into Aurora and couple of times and Clow once. Both were a couple of years back.

Any thought appreciated!

Mike
Clow has pretty good fuel prices ($4.85/gal 100LL right now) but I think Lake in the Hills might be a little cheaper on the weekend because of a special they're running. That might have ended, though. Flying out of the area to Detroit, presuming you're single engine, you'll want to avoid going across the lake. Plan on being routed to EON. Forget CGT; it's inbound into ORD. Coming back, that might work, though.

When we were going to be able to fly in ourselves, Missa suggested flying into 1D2 Canton-Plymouth-Mettetal, which isn't far from where we'll be staying at the Livonia Marriott.

Let's plan on getting together in Detroit. Leslie and I will be there, along with Missa. Leslie and I are arriving late evening on Friday (9:00 - 11:00) and leaving at 7:00 on Sunday. So maybe we should all plan to get together on Saturday for dinner.

Clow has pretty good fuel prices ($4.85/gal 100LL right now) but I think Lake in the Hills might be a little cheaper on the weekend because of a special they're running.

At one time I would have been shocked at that price, but I met with the line gal from one of the FBOs at OLM on my way to church this morning to get the club's 182 gassed up (they were closed when we finished the IR lesson yesterday). $5.54/gal at OLM. And going up, I'm sure. :(

1D2 is where I go... 'cause Ma's house is under the pattern. It's a nice feild on the west side of town with only a $5 a night fee first night waived with gas purchase which is always reasonable. There is also an enterprise rent-a-car right across the street. Only draw back is the N-S runway. My Back up and another good feild is Willow Run, long runways in all directions. I've only landed there on day flights so I don't know if they have over night fees but there is no landing fee or parking fee. Oakland-Troy (VLL) is another option a little closer to the action there is no landing or parking fee last time I checked if you park at the county building, the FBO will charge you and the gas costs more the mettatal. Hotels in that area of town are more expensive and I'm not sure where to get a car. Detroit City "don't call us Collam A Young tower" airport (DET) will be closest to the action but will probally cost you a nice penny since the FBO is Signature. It will also be very busy as I think the red bull planes will be based there and the neigborhood is not so nice.

Thanks for the replys.

Since my kids set this up we will be at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown.

DET looks to be closest but given the comments I think I'll avoid it. Thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you if we can figure out how to connect. Since I've never been there I have no landmarks to go by except maybe the race area and I'm guessing that will be a mad house.

Mike

How about OMZ (Grosse Isle)? I've never landed there but I'm told it's a very nice airport.

How about OMZ (Grosse Isle)? I've never landed there but I'm told it's a very nice airport.

I was just going to suggest that too. I've been told it's a very nice airport and will probally be the closest to a downtown hotel. The other airports would all be way to the north or west. Not sure their services but one of the 99's in the detroit chapter was based there.

Big thing to watch for is the clousre of the river route for the air race and pratices so getting around DTW may be an adventure!

I would call and find out what's up with City as it is the Closest, but I remember that a CFI I know had to pay a $50 ramp fee for getting out of a plane durring a lesson to use the bathroom at Signature and he regularly flew charters out of Signature.

How far is the drive from YIP? I am here now until Friday or Saturday. Fuel wasnt bad and it's a 10 minute drive to DTW.

How far is the drive from YIP? I am here now until Friday or Saturday. Fuel wasnt bad and it's a 10 minute drive to DTW.

To downtown is should be a 20-30 min drive, the big ?? is how much to add for conssturction. Add in going over the bridge and I'm not really sure... but YIP is right about where we will be.

Clow has pretty good fuel prices ($4.85/gal 100LL right now) but I think Lake in the Hills might be a little cheaper on the weekend because of a special they're running. That might have ended, though.
MikeG, Clow (1C5) fuel prices went up yesterday because we got a shipment. Now $5.39!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up.

It turns out my plane did not make it out of the shop in time for the trip.

I had enough frequent flyer miles to get ticket for my wife and I in a big tube so we will still be there.

The way the WX is looking tomorrow that might not be such a bad thing anyway.

Hope to hook up with some of you there. Our tickets are on the Detroit side.

Well, Leslie and I, Missa, Dave2, Razor (Rusty, who rarely logs onto PoA), and a bunch of Missas friends and coworkers headed over to Canada to watch the qualifying rounds or the Red Bull air races Saturday. We all had a great time. THe thunderstorms that were predicted didn't materialize, though there were some VERY light showers. However, the trials were canceled Saturday due to winds gusting to 34Kts. They couldn't even keep the pylons (gates) upright, and had one tear loose from its base and go tumbling down the river with the Coast Guard and police chasing it. We were certainly disappointed, but not really surprised.

Unfortunately, many of the crew were doing it as a one-day event and weren't planning to attend the actual race on Sunday. Even Leslie and I will probably need to bug out early on Sunday to catch our 7PM flights out of Detroit Metro.

We got some pictures of the tumbling gate, as well as some of the pre-show, which did go on, but my computer isn't reading the SDHC card, so I'll have to wait until I get home to post them. The pre-show consisted of the Canadian Harvard T6 team, an F18A and F4U Corsair(?) from California, and the Red Bull Grumman Albatross.

I'm still sorry I missed it, but I'll see y'all next weekend! :yes:

However, the trials were canceled Saturday due to winds gusting to 34Kts. They couldn't even keep the pylons (gates) upright, and had one tear loose from its base and go tumbling down the river with the Coast Guard and police chasing it. We were certainly disappointed, but not really surprised.
quote]

Actually it went up river. The winds were so strong that the gates and the waves were going up river agianst a 7kt current.

Back