How cold izzit?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Last edited:
Sorry to have sent our high pressure system south, but we are glad to be finally rid of it. It was replaced by chinooks bringing fifty degree temps. Above zero ;) Downside is rain screwing up the skiing conditions, but then again no one was skiing before at -40. I'll take this over that.

Sorry to have sent our high pressure system south, but we are glad to be finally rid of it. It was replaced by chinooks bringing fifty degree temps. Above zero ;) Downside is rain screwing up the skiing conditions, but then again no one was skiing before at -40. I'll take this over that.

Tom Skilling just said that Fairbanks had a 90 degree temperature rise. :yikes:

We don't blame Alaska, we blame Canada!

Tom Skilling just said that Fairbanks had a 90 degree temperature rise. :yikes:

We don't blame Alaska, we blame Canada!
Yes BLAME CANADA!!

BlameCanada.jpg

Frost on the inside of the front door, here. OAT -14ºF when I woke up this morning.

I do have to go out later. Hope the car still starts - It complained a bit yesterday. Might require a new battery soon if this keeps up. :(

Frost on the inside of the front door, here. OAT -14ºF when I woke up this morning.

I do have to go out later. Hope the car still starts - It complained a bit yesterday. Might require a new battery soon if this keeps up. :(

My front storm door, same deal, too much humidity inside so it collects ice and wants to freeze shut

The window ice thing is weird. I just now heard water RUNNING and see that the window ledge built up a big enough "puddle" and hit the cohesion break/ overflow tipping point so water was falling onto the floor. It was behind the cloth shades so I guess that insulated the glass from the room warmth. I got the waterfall after raising the shade and letting it warm up enough to melt the ice.

HAMMOND, Ind. - In a scene straight out of the movie "A Christmas Story," a 10-year-old Hammond boy got his tongue stuck to a metal light pole.

Police say the unidentified 4th grader was able to tell them a friend had dared him to lick the pole Wednesday night. Temperatures in Hammond were around 10 degrees at the time.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-in-odd-tongue-pole,0,1360269.story

Kids these days. Kid lives in Hammond and never saw the movie?

Oh. Note that Flick wears a flight helmet hood. I want one.

Was -19 this morning with a wind chill of -39. We've since climbed to 0 degrees.

23 below at my place near Ames Iowa today at dawn. Dog had to be carried IN after 2 minutes out. She cried like a baby once in the house and layed down with feet in the air. It was heartbreaking.

Was -19 this morning with a wind chill of -39. We've since climbed to 0 degrees.

23 below at my place near Ames Iowa today at dawn. Dog had to be carried IN after 2 minutes out. She cried like a baby once in the house and layed down with feet in the air. It was heartbreaking.
We're supposed to have -15 in the morning and I have to be out in it to take Mom to the doctor.

I just took Pancho the hers. I have to strong arm the steering wheel until it warms up.

Cold, what cold? It's in the 40s today and supposed to be in the 50s the next couple days. And this is a place which has an (undeserved) reputation for being cold.

I woke up this morning and it was so cold that the Tidy Bowl man was ice skating.

(Yeah, I'm showing my age...)

It was minus 24 below zero here in Iowa City, Iowa, this morning. That's the coldest temperature we've seen in Iowa since moving here in '97.

It's warmed all the way up to -11 right now, but it's supposed to get down to negative 22 again tonight. We scrubbed our planned flight for today, which worked out okay since our hangar was buried and had to be plowed out anyway.

My Toyota T-100 4x4 made all sorts of shrieking noises while driving earlier, coming from the front end. Of course, if you had 188,000 miles, you'd scream, too, at -24 Fahrenheit!

:yikes:

check out Minot, ND (-33)

:( poor thing.

it was so cold I decided not to go to the gym, and instead have a glass of wine. That's my excuse for THIS evening...

ps. I like the post by Albert Camus...

It's so cold that the politicians that infest Lincoln had their hands in their own pockets

Well, it was 22 below tonight when I went cross country skiing for 2 miles. Awesome!

28 below now

I once drove off the road in my 66 beetle when it was in the 20 something below range. I came to a curve in the road that I hit everyday on my way home but this time my steering was so freeking stiff due to the cold that I couldn't finesse it around the curve on the packed snow. Instead I somewhat gracefully slid into the ditch on the outside of the curve. I was standing there in the ditch 4 feet below the grade casually leaning on my car like I meant to do that when my future wife drove up a few minutes later. She'd been following me home so fortunately I didn't have to wait.

...I put on a light jacket when I took the dogs out this morning.

Dear Ken,

You suck.

Love,
Ted

-----------

It's downright warm over here compared to y'all in the midwest. This morning it was -4F at my house, and -15F on the drive to work. The truck cranked slowly and then made a nice loud whine for the first 15 seconds of operation. I wiped the frost off the windshield, and once I started driving my breath started freezing to the INSIDE of the windshield. The rear window warmer was on non-stop to work (20 minute drive) and didn't warm up the window enough to get all the frost off in that time.

The dog bolted inside as soon as I opened the door to let him back in after his morning business. I'm sure he's already made a mess in my basement.

My hands froze to his chain when I went to tie him out and then untie him.

I hate winter.

11F here today. About the coldest it has been since I've been in Greenwood. Even word that we could get snow showers this weekend. Woo. :rofl:

Come ooooooonnnnnnnn Global Warming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-18. It was sooo cold. THE KEY in the ignition wouldn't spring back.

It took 3 tries to get the engine to keep running. It turned out that maybe the ignition switch knew to keep the starter engaged an extra long time. I'm glad I bought a new battery last year.

The other fun phenom is when the inside of the windshield ices up when you stop for just an hour.

I know now that if I can just muscle through the two slow right turns and get it pointed down the highway, the power steering wakes up in a mile.

Key? What is this key thing you speak of?

533378573_8bf900134c.jpg

(Ok, so there's a slot for the key FOB, but not the key. And I don't even take the key out of my pocket. I love comfort access.)

I was in a phone meeting with some guys in Minnisota yesterday. -22 for them. 40s here. And low 60s and sunnin Las Vegas this weekend. I'm lookforward to tomorrow!

I went skiing in high school when the high in the nearest town was -22. Never again!

It took 3 tries to get the engine to keep running. It turned out that maybe the ignition switch knew to keep the starter engaged an extra long time. I'm glad I bought a new battery last year.

The other fun phenom is when the inside of the windshield ices up when you stop for just an hour.

I know now that if I can just muscle through the two slow right turns and get it pointed down the highway, the power steering wakes up in a mile.

Time for a new steering rack...the good news is a reman is cheap since it's a common problem with FWD GM cars...but spend the extra $ on the "long" rack with the inner tie rod ends already attached, it saves time and your old ones are probably worn out anyway.

Trapper John

The low overnight here was -25 F. I haven't been out of the house since Sunday morning, but I'll probably go out to dinner tonight.

Time for a new steering rack...the good news is a reman is cheap since it's a common problem with FWD GM cars...but spend the extra $ on the "long" rack with the inner tie rod ends already attached, it saves time and your old ones are probably worn out anyway.
Thanks. I'll trust you but I'm thinking the power steering pump, etc. must be unhappy, too. It moaned even when it was warm! It's going to the mechanic next week, mostly because the driver's door linkage seperated (again.)

This is one of my two "can it last 2 more years?" vehicles, which I end up driving for 4-5 years. :D I just told teh mechanic if he thinks the leakein'-like-seive Sable needs a tranny, it's gone. Nope, Just $360 to replace the fluid lines. :mad3: I figure I'm still doing good vs. newer if I only have a bill like that a few times a year.

You can have fun by making your own ice fog.

or make a pet bubble!

I've seen a video of guy throwing up a pitcher of boiling water and having the whole thing sublimate instantly to ice with a "whoosh" sound. Who knew that you could hear ice being created?

Itz sooooo cold I had to put on long pants and a long sleeved T to ride my motorcycle today.....

It is so cold that you can use Henning's butt to determine which way North is! :D

-Skip

Its only hit the negative teens here, no biggie. Still mild compared the the weather in my youth.

Oh, and global warming means the climate becomes more extreme. As in extreme cold.

Back