How can i make an electric hoist free spooling

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I purchased a 110V hoist from HF to help pull the plane into the hanger. The only problem is I have to pay out the cable by using the 'down' button. It is slow. Anyone with any experience in making it free spool so I can pull the cable by hand?

Any knob or lever on the outside that looks like a clutch engage/disengage? Pull, push, switch, twist, etc?

I have several of those hoists, too.
75' of cable takes what, 3 mins to spool out? Yeah, feels like forever when its raining and cold.
But, it's a lot easier than re-engineering the capstan to include a ratchet or clutch.
Boat trailer hand winches do this so maybe you could use that to design something?
I think if it bothered me that much I would buy one that has what you want.
Maybe run it out when you depart? (it would make a big coil-y mess if you don't stretch it between hangar support poles, lol) That way you would save time upon return.

The small 12v Warn winches used on ATVs have a lock/unlock on them so the cable can be spooled out by hand.
A friend used one of those for the same purpose in his hangar, connected to an old 12v car battery with a permanent battery charger on it.

Synthetic line is also a little easier to deal with

That last bullet point in the description should have been a hint. :D

• Permanent magnet motor draws less current, ideal for ATV use
  • Single-stage planetary gear system for fast line speed
  • Automatic load-holding brake for maximum safety
  • Free spooling for fast line-out
  • Wireless remote control works up to 20 ft. away
  • Roller fairlead with nylon bushing
  • Aircraft grade wire rope

As intimated above, a hoist ain't a winch, and you want a winch; it can literally be the smallest thing around, but I'd go for speed.

The posted winch is a battery powered one, might be ok if the OP wants to switch from the 110v he mentioned to battery + charger.
That one comes with only 50' of cable too - I think you'd have to taxi very close to the hangar and make a very tight turn to be close enough to the cable end...unless you can push the airplane back easily.
With the hoists I bought, I took the supplied cable off and put in 100' of 1/8" cable (you have to make sure there is enough room on the spindle to accept that much cable.)

Usually, I have someone with me to help push but there are times when I am on my own.

I found what I should have purchased. https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb120v-ac-electric-utility-winch-61672.html

And I have a coupon for 20% off!

Only problem is it doesn't have a limit switch. Fusible link?

I used one of the smaller (100KG) HF Hoists in exactly the same way - and it worked just fine. I used the hoist because I had bought it for another purpose, and had it laying around.
Spooling out the cable was a nuisance - but I put up with it. Like your situation, there was usually someone around to help move the plane (had an upslope to contend with). However,
for those times when I was alone, the hoist worked like a charm.
No doubt the winch you found will do the job - but is overkill for your needs. A boat winch would be more like it.

Dave

You guys hooking up to the tail tie-down ring?

No! What I did was to get two nylon lifting straps and loop one over each landing gear leg (as close as possible to the fuselage), then join the strap free ends together with a shackle.
Hook up the hoist or winch to the shackle and pull the plane in (backwards, of course).

Dave

Get one that is overkill! I bought a pretty expensive 2500LB years ago to pull my 172 in the hangar that was on a hill. It worked good for a few months and got weaker, weaker and weaker. Soon it wouldn't pull the plane in.
It sucked dragging the remote and cord around. I believe they make ones with a wireless remote now.

As stated previously, I used a small hoist successfully for pulling my plane up a slope and into a hangar. Bearing in mind the nuisance of unspooling the cable under power, I would probably try a
different approach if I had the need at present. Specifically, I would get a cheap handcrank winch like this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-..._u2dUHra0RBj_WoaH_h-9uRG6eypZc5hoCj00QAvD_BwE

Then would see if I could power it with an electric drill. You can buy a winch with a hex drive - but would likely cost more than the one mentioned above. Warn makes a 500 Lb Drill Winch - but
cost is over $100.

Dave

Our club has put in winches for all three planes over the past year or so. Nice for the 172s, a necessity for the 182. Converted that plane from a 2 person plane to a solo aircraft. One person could not push it over the tracks for the door into the hangar by himself. Yes, you do have to extend the cable by yourself while holding the "out" (or whatever it's called) button, but that beats trying to push it in by yourself.

Back