How can expired GPS database be verified?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
In order to file /G one must have a certified GPS with a current database OR if not a current database one may still file /G if:
the database is verified as accurate? Is that correct?

Is there some easy method of verifying accuracy? Any online resource for verifying changes since database you have? i.e. punch in your expiration and see any changes since expiration.

If one is flying /G with expired but verified accurate database, is one limited to enroute only or can one also fly GPS approaches?

Before someone jumps on me for careless and reckless, I will say I have never flown /G without a current database.

Last edited:
If one is flying /G with expired but verified accurate database, is one limited to enroute only or can one also fly GPS approaches?
No problem. All you have to do is to verify that the last update to the plate is not later than the effective date of the database. If that is true, then you can legally fly the approach.

How to verify? Check the current plates in your tablet computer, your current paper plates, or ask ATC for the date.

You can fly enroute with an expired database. There is a nifty table in the AIM IIRC that lays out all the details, but I am too lazy to chase it down tonight.

Re "verified accurate database" I don't know what that means if it is expired. It is virtually guaranteed to be inaccurate for at least a few approaches and be missing some. And how would you "verify" it anyway?

For VOR's, airports, and the like, you can get the current coordinates from the A/FD. For approaches, you compare the database expiration date with the date of the last change in the lower left corner of the chart. For intersections and the like, there are sources on the internet to get the current data for comparison, but it's rather a pain to do that. And if the AFMS for your GPS requires a current database for IFR operation (some do, some don't), you have no choice but to keep the database current if you want to use it for IFR operations. See AIM 1-1-19 and Table 1-1-6 as well as AIM 1-2 for details.

So it looks like plates are relatively easy to verify. I have an Asus TF700 running Anywhere map which always has the current data.

Seems like verifying GPS fixes could be a PITA and it would be easy to miss a change in the lat/long

Seems like verifying GPS fixes could be a PITA and it would be easy to miss a change in the lat/long
I believe you are correct on both counts, which is why I recommend to my IR trainees that they keep the database current if they want to use their GPS for IFR operations.

I believe you are correct on both counts, which is why I recommend to my IR trainees that they keep the database current if they want to use their GPS for IFR operations.

Oh my word- I think I'm going to cry or frame that post or....(excuse me, I'm getting emotional here)

Back