How are the Florida peeps doing ?

why didn't I fly out? family, two houses a boat and four cars and a job. also, where do you go? I thought about having my son fly it to boca where he is at school, but a few miles south at north perry they lost 30 planes to a tornado. as some have said,where do you go, and do you have time? the toys don't matter. they can be replaced. up until less than 24 hrs we all thought this thing was going farther west and would hit landfall up north.
Best to not even listen to ignorant people who think planes and boats are easily moved with only 48 hours warning.

Sorry about all the damage, but glad to hear you’re okay. You SW Florida folks really took a pounding. Our damage in central Florida is a minor inconvenience. There’s some local flooding here in low areas but it’s pretty isolated.

There was a little damage at KGIF (Wtr Hvn). A few hangar doors were caved in and the old FBO building (now a flight school) lost most of its roof, but I haven’t heard of any significant airplane damage.

I flew for a while this morning and saw a flooded church just north of Frostproof, but otherwise I think we got off easy around here.

Very sorry you were hit so hard down there.

Sorry to hear about all that Bob. It's amazing hearing story after story... the next person knowing they're lucky because the next one had it much worse... and then that person says the same about the next that lost more. Some lost it all and that is truly sad. Glad you're in descent spirits and didn't do too bad all things considered. I'm trying to see if I can do some air drop flights into PG. I'm on the other side of FL, my wife collected donations at her business and has dropped those off already so we're looking to see if we can fit in something in addition. Good luck Bob and glad to hear you guys are ok.

Looking at the TFRs this morning I see that there appears to be some sort of corridor established northeastward to Arcadia. Looks like Arcadia is being used as a staging or fueling area for aircraft from Florida Power & Light.

upload_2022-10-6_13-5-8.png

Sorry to hear about all that Bob. It's amazing hearing story after story... the next person knowing they're lucky because the next one had it much worse... and then that person says the same about the next that lost more. Some lost it all and that is truly sad. Glad you're in descent spirits and didn't do too bad all things considered. I'm trying to see if I can do some air drop flights into PG. I'm on the other side of FL, my wife collected donations at her business and has dropped those off already so we're looking to see if we can fit in something in addition. Good luck Bob and glad to hear you guys are ok.
thank you for your help, we have a lot of people that lost everything.
food and water seem to be doing good, between publix, winn dixie, the red cross and others its not bad. a lot of churches have set up food banks and hot meals, even mcdonalds are getting up with a limited selection. I think the big thing is going forward will be clothing and supplies for those that lost it all. some people got out with the cloths on their backs. i think right now the one of the next pressing issue will clothing needed for those that lost everythng. i have heard that groups all over the state are starting clothing drives to help out.

thank you for the good thoughts, for me, it just going to be a hit to my bank account. depending on the insurance fight over wind vs water, i may have to foot the bill for most of the condo renovation and will loose a couple of years rental. i don't like it, but i can afford it. i still have a house and a job. a lot of people don't have either. the service workers that work on the beach will be out of work for a good long time, and depending on how the town council goes on zoning in the future, some of those jobs and business's may not be returning. this truly a life changing event for most of the area.

One of the side effects here (Panama City after Michael) was that most of the food service industry workers had to leave because there was no housing for them. Very few apartments survived. And as a result, many restaurants were closed until those apartments started opening back up.

The restaurants that were open had very limited menus (think My Cousin Vinny). Even Waffle House was only serving about a half dozen items (Eggs, waffles, grits, bacon, sausage, toast).

There are frequent comments about 'the insurance company owns the airplane', implying that one can just buy a replacement. This is true, at an individual level.
However, don't events like this steadily reduce the overall supply of used (certificated) airplanes? I very much doubt that Beech, Textron, etc. produce and sell enough new GA airplanes to make up for all that get destroyed by storms or get wrecked by various other causes in a year. Maybe Ron Wattanja (sp?) can chime in here.
In other words, the overall supply of GA airplanes - the 40 - 50 - 60 year-old machines most of us fly - is slowly but surely disappearing. (Maybe that's where experimentals are filling in the supply?)

Back